Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2008 TDCI Zetec DPF Problem

triggerhappy

Hi All

I have recently been having intermittent problems with my Focus losing power and "jerking" when driving on the motorway, now the engine malfunction warning has come up and the car has gone into limp mode. I got the RAC out to diagnose and he said it was the DPF, I got a look at the computer when he did it and I think it said P2458 and something about ash buildup.

I was wondering if this means the DPF has gone too far to try and recover through cleaning it. Halfrauds sell a DPF cleaning service which is only £80 but obviously £80 I don't want to spend if its not going to make a difference.

The RAC man was under the impression it would cost over a grand to sort out, and most of the cost would be for that part and not labour as its easy to fit apparently. 

I have looked on euro car parts and a new DPF costs £280 so I am wondering where he got that figure from. Would a £280 DPF be suitable for a replacement? I have also seen one on eBay for £180. Or am I better off taking a gamble with the £80 clean first?

Thanks

Following out of interest, as I've just bought a 2008 1.6 TDCI DPF. The garage I bought it from suggested regular servicing (every 10k miles) and regular oil changes would keep the DPF ok

7 hours ago, Steve Taylor said:

Following out of interest, as I've just bought a 2008 1.6 TDCI DPF. The garage I bought it from suggested regular servicing (every 10k miles) and regular oil changes would keep the DPF ok

From the research I've done, although I'm no expert, the ash build up is the non combustible left overs from the soot being burned by the DPF, and normally causes an issue around 120,000 miles (I'm on 111,000). Going by this I would say this problem is unavoidable regardless of how the car is driven, services etc as the ash is a by product of the DPF doing its job.

I could be wrong though so if anyone knows and could shed some light on this....

• Like 1

I am not really sure how regular oil changes would help this,as, as said above, I believe it is catching the soot from the burning of the diesel fuel.

I do not know if cleaning it yourself will help.

I wonder if some being sold are brand new (the high cost) and other cheaper ones are reconditioned - ie. an old used one that has been cleaned after removing from a car

Have you tried to force regenerate the DPF. I accidentally did this parked up with the engine running waiting for the wife to finish work, and boy does it smoke 😱😱😱. Might be worth a go before venturing into a replacement dpf. 

Thanks for your replies..

I think I am going to buy some Wynns Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner, stick that in, then try either a stationary forced regen or go for a spirited motorway run.

Will let you know if it works

So just wasted a whole bottle of DPF cleaner... Stuck the bottle in as far as I could into the diesel hole, slowly squeezed the bottle in, then it all came out under the car :S

Getting fed up now :(

Did a good 30 miles @ 3000rpm which is as high as it would go in limp mode and no change, looks like a new DPF is needed :angry:

11 hours ago, triggerhappy said:

So just wasted a whole bottle of DPF cleaner... Stuck the bottle in as far as I could into the diesel hole, slowly squeezed the bottle in, then it all came out under the car :S

Getting fed up now :(

Did a good 30 miles @ 3000rpm which is as high as it would go in limp mode and no change, looks like a new DPF is needed :angry:

:laugh:  I can't believe people still don't understand EasyFuel!  You need to use the funnel the same size as the diesel nozzle or it won't go in.

I bought a £200 DPF, it was *****, lasted just under 3 months before failing again.  It does cost about a grand to have a genuine one fitted.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

:laugh:  I can't believe people still don't understand EasyFuel!  You need to use the funnel the same size as the diesel nozzle or it won't go in.

I bought a £200 DPF, it was *****, lasted just under 3 months before failing again.  It does cost about a grand to have a genuine one fitted.

It was more of a case of I didn't know such a system was in place. I understand its to prevent fuel theft.. In my many years of owning several different cars (all without such a system) I have never had my fuel stolen... Now I have to spend extra money on a funnel.

Ok so I will rule out the eBay DPF as its going to be cheap and nasty. Surely the Euro car parts one will last a while though. Really regretting getting a diesel now :angry:

No the funnel is supplied with the car, should be under the spare wheel or in the glovebox. :smile:  Unless a previous owner has lost it anyway.  EasyFuel is more to prevent people putting petrol in but does also act as a theft prevention measure.

Tbh I would expect all of the cheaper DPFs to made of the same poor quality unfortunately.  They use a different (worse) DPF core material, a cheaper and much more restrictive cat core as well as very thin metal in the can, poor leaky welds, incorrect bracket locations, tbh I felt ripped off at £200!!  You are welcome to try the ECP one though, might be surprised, that particular one wasn't available when I looked.  You could always fit a cheap one then move the car on pretty quickly for something petrol I guess.

44 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

No the funnel is supplied with the car, should be under the spare wheel or in the glovebox. :smile:  Unless a previous owner has lost it anyway.  EasyFuel is more to prevent people putting petrol in but does also act as a theft prevention measure.

Tbh I would expect all of the cheaper DPFs to made of the same poor quality unfortunately.  They use a different (worse) DPF core material, a cheaper and much more restrictive cat core as well as very thin metal in the can, poor leaky welds, incorrect bracket locations, tbh I felt ripped off at £200!!  You are welcome to try the ECP one though, might be surprised, that particular one wasn't available when I looked.  You could always fit a cheap one then move the car on pretty quickly for something petrol I guess.

Hmmm looks like one of the previous owners may have removed it. There's no way I can afford £1000 to sort the issue out, so maybe the cheap one and sell is the way forward

The genuine DPF is about £700 from the dealers and it weighs more than the aftermarket dpf.

You could try removing your old one and jet washing it from the exhaust end. There are many people that have had positive experience doing this.

If yours is a 1.6 TDCI, then they dpf are not really to difficult to remove and clean or replace

Cameron

On 02/12/2016 at 1:49 PM, triggerhappy said:

There's no way I can afford £1000 to sort the issue out, so maybe the cheap one and sell is the way forward

Before condemning the DPF, it is a very good idea to thoroughly check the hoses from it to the DP sensor. Problems with these are frequent, and bad readings could make it look like it was ashed up, when it is not. The sensor ought to be checked, if possible, too.

If the DPF is knackered with ash, I would recommend a water reverse flush, like cameron says, you have nothing to lose.

Except I would not recommend a 100Bar pressure wash. Just a hose, and loads of water until it runs clear.

High pressure jets could easily damage the insert.

One person who cleaned a dpf like this:

And an earlier reference:

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=247

Also, when was the Eloys fluid last topped up on this car? It's a 2008 1.6 TDCi so this needs to be checked every service.

They also need to be oil changed every 6000 miles too, and I'd also check the injector seals aren't leaking.

I had this engine, and I had mine Terracleaned. Much better than what Halfrauds will offer you. Just bear in mind, if you have leaky injector seals or turbo seals that terracleaning your car will remove any carbon buildup that may be preventing them from failing altogether at a later date. Aside from that I'd recommend anyone gets this done if their DPF needs cleaning.