Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing a cold air intake

RhysH

Hi guys!

very new to this but I'm trying to work out how to put a cold air intake on my fiesta? I have no idea where it would go (not much space under the bonnet) and also that that my air box as it stands is part of my engine cover. I have tried looking for a non air box engine cover but have come to no avail, so help would be much appreciated and if possible photos would be great! 

Thanks, Rhys

2005 Ford Fiesta zetec s

Hi Rhys. Where are you thinking of directing the cold air to if youre still running a sealed box? Are you planning on drilling additional holes in it for the new intake pipe?

Usually cold air feeds are fitted for open air induction filters as they can suck up warm engine bay air actually reducing power if the temps are too high.

If you want to add an additional feed to your box you could drill out the bottom of it and fit a trumpet securely through it, jubilee clip a cold air flexi hose to the other end sticking out of the box and then cable tie the hose in place where it will draw in the air behind the front grilles.

I have a Focus Zetec S 182 and a popular mod on mine is to switch to an ST air box as that has an additional cold air feed.

Screenshot_20161201-071927.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedBack! Basically I was thinking of taking the air box off (wondering if it's okay to have the engine open like that). Not too sure on whether that's okay or not. Them place a new open air filter to the right side in front of my grill as this is the only place I can see that would be able to receive cold air from? Only thing is I can't find any casing that will hold an air filter for a fiesta?

Have a look at something like this, i think this is what you are thinking of. There are various companies out there. You need to search for an Induction Kit as opposed to 'Cold Air Intake' that you stated in your first post. I thought you meant a cold air feed to get extra air to your filter, not an actual air filter induction kit.

http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mProduct.aspx?prod=57-0468

57-0468.jpg

The other option is a replacement panel filter to go in your existing box with extra cold air ducting as i described. 

• Like 1

First of all. What engine do you have? does it have a turbo? 

If not its not worth adding an induction kit/CAI. also, without a heatshield you'll suffer from heatsoak regardless of a cold air feed as it'll still suck in the hot air. 

Also, you've got to consider whether the potential power gains are worth the additional cost on your insurance... 

If you install it you'll also need an oil catch can of some sort otherwise the camshaft breather that currently feeds into your airbox will just spray a fine mist of oil everywhere over time

• Like 1

Just curious, where are the actual dyno graphs that prove heatsoak loss with induction kits? Its always talked about but has anyone actually seen the proof? 

15 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Just curious, where are the actual dyno graphs that prove heatsoak loss with induction kits? Its always talked about but has anyone actually seen the proof? 

Yeah, I have proof, in my corsa (don't judge) when I fitted a K&N. lol ***** thing was popping and doing all sorts of crazy *****. lol

I wouldn't ever install another induction kit unless there's a shield of some sort. 

14 hours ago, MPX309 said:

Yeah, I have proof, in my corsa (don't judge) when I fitted a K&N. lol ***** thing was popping and doing all sorts of crazy *****. lol

I wouldn't ever install another induction kit unless there's a shield of some sort. 

I stopped reading at Corsa!:laugh:

I ran them in my old cars and never noticed any negative issues hence being a little sceptical as to whether its all just hearsay or proven fact. I can obviously see where people are coming from with it but what power loss difference does it actually make in the real world?

• Like 1

Check out Youtube for 'pod filter' on the mightcarmods channel, pod filters don't give any extra power, for me it has on my 1.4 TDCi as the OEM airbox is very restrictive, its the throttle response that really improves in my experience.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the help, I did install one in the end and whatever people say about it not doing anything that's not the point of why I (or other younger people) want to put that makes marginal difference on these. It's about having little experience with cars and not a big budget to do massive gains in power on a car - because we can't, see so many people on forums (not this one) tearing young drivers apart for wanting to mess around with their car because "it makes no difference" it's crazy!

And just as a post install review it improves the throttle response a tiny bit and it sounds pretty good when you accelerate (not too loud so you won't get an ASBO) 

thanks again everyone

• Like 1

I installed one on my 1.0 ecoboost. Made a considerable difference once mapped as the airboxes quickly become restrictive. Now running around 160bhp. Unless you're mapping it and it's turbocharged then it's pointless 

tearing young drivers apart for wanting to mess around with their car because "it makes no difference" it's crazy!

Lol remember we where all young once bin there done it and got the tee-shirt. It's just considered advice  you don't have take any of it. You've changed it out and you are happy with the results that's all that matters even thought you have probably lost a few BHP in the process, lol makes a lot of induction noise don't it .As you get older you soon learn that Mom and Dad was right  and not so crazy after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/29/2017 at 3:30 PM, RhysH said:

Thanks everyone for the help, I did install one in the end and whatever people say about it not doing anything that's not the point of why I (or other younger people) want to put that makes marginal difference on these. It's about having little experience with cars and not a big budget to do massive gains in power on a car - because we can't, see so many people on forums (not this one) tearing young drivers apart for wanting to mess around with their car because "it makes no difference" it's crazy!

And just as a post install review it improves the throttle response a tiny bit and it sounds pretty good when you accelerate (not too loud so you won't get an ASBO) 

thanks again everyone

Just wondering how did you do this do you have any pictures? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club