Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake completely gone

LauraAnika

I own a ford focus c-max 04 plate, when i pulled the handbrake up the other day whilst parking up, the button shot out, i then took the car the garage and they told me that the whole unit needed replacing and quoted me ( what i feel) a lot of money.. (£250). I was wondering if anyone on here had any ideas on how i could get this fixed at a cheaper rate?

Will let you know that i am not very car savvy and this is my very 1st ford that i have owned so any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Laura

I expect the cables have snapped in which case, you would need the wheels removing, the brake cables pulling back, and replacing then have the brakes adjusted, probably a two hour job all in all, but £250 sounds like a lot...

Was this an indie or a dealer?

• Like 1

The fact you said 'whole unit' sounds to me like the actual hand brake mechanism itself might also have broken somehow so £250 might be about right, ask exactly what needs replacing! (Once had a handbrake physically shear off its bracket on a car I had but managed to get it rewelded together at work)