Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake discs stuffed at 17k?

fofi

Hi.

2013 1.0 Ecoboost 125 Titanium

Just had my first MOT and they said the brake pads are fine but the discs are badly worn and will need replacing shortly. After 17,000 miles - is this normal? I'm a biker mainly, hence low mileage, but my experience on 2 wheels  is that I replace pads many times before I replace discs. This seems back to front but, as I've never changed discs or pads on a car before, perhaps this is the norm?

Either way, can someone direct me to the cheapest place for genuine replacement parts? I'll do the work myself, changed discs and pads and more on bikes for decades, it doesn't look too hard on a car! I thought I may as well change pads at the same time, to get maximum life out of the new setup - would this be correct?

Cheers,

FoFi.

Have you been advised on the mot certificate regarding the discs or just in person? 

Hello from a fellow biker btw

Discs do suffer from rust and pitting at low mileage, they're one component that really benefits from being driven every day.  But 17k seems extremely low, have you checked yourself to make sure the MOT place wasn't just trying to get some work?  Also have you ever had pads replaced as they usually wear out quicker than discs?

My 2007 fiesta has 150k miles on it. discs never replaced and are fine, I inspected them a few weeks ago with the wheels off.

if a car is left for days without driving particularly where they get wet (and even worse if salt air) they get rust on them in next to no time which then gets skimmed off when you next drive the car. If you drive it far enough. but very short journeys muight not clean them enough and it then builds up.

I note you say you are a biker. I am (well was) and car discs are made out of totally different grade metal to bike discs. Bike discs must have a different composition of steel as bike discs are much much better at resisting rust. 

My Fiesta discs can be covered in orange rust after being left one day in wet rainy weather when the wind is blowing it everywhere.

Have a look at your discs and google pics of car discs to see what they can get like

That doesn't seem right.   I used to have a Granada and it had 170,000 miles on it and never changed the disks.

Discs seem to not last nowadays but are cheap to replace.

I changed mine after that sort of milage but only took me about 8 months. Discs warped but that was down to my driving style.

New discs and pads from Ford are fairly cheap and are easy to fit. Anyone with basic tools can swap out the discs and pads in 2 hours. just make sure the calipers are in nice and tight when they go back on and use a tourque wrench if you have one.

Who did the MOT?? Someone respectable, or someone that would what to fleece you (main stream tyre fitters for example)? And what do they look and feel like (is there a massive ridge)? If it's not an advisory on the MOT, I wouldn't worry too much. Very strange to have pads ok but discs worn.

Hi folks. Thanks for the replies. :smile: To answer the questions, no I have never changed pads on this car. The wear wasn't mentioned on the MOT, but was given an amber on the "Ford e-check". The place is reputable, they didn't even try and get me to get the work done there, just pointed out the issue. There was an advisory on my front tyres (feathered and a nail in one) and they didn't even try and get me to get that done there so I kinda trust them. I don't drive the car daily as I walk to work - sometimes it'll sit for a week, maybe even a fortnight, without being driven and I guess, from the above posts, that this hasn't helped. Also, a couple of passengers have noted that I drive my car as if I'm on my bike! :unsure::biggrin: I wouldn't consider myself a nutter, but I suppose I do actually use my brakes, rather than rely on nice smooth engine braking. :wink:

Attached pics of the driver's side disc - from touch I'd guesstimate a 2mm lip at the top and a 1mm lip at the bottom.

I don't mind replacing them, just pretty surprised at the low mileage. Is this place the cheapest for genuine parts, does anyone know - http://www.fordpartsuk.com - it seems to be after a bit of googling.

Does anyone know the relevant torque settings? I watched a youtube of someone changing discs and pads and it looked straight forward. He didn't use a torque wrench but I always prefer to when I can. Also, he didn't use threadlock, would that be right?

Thanks again for the replies.

20161203_121425.jpg

20161203_121436.jpg

Certainly seems low mileage for them to be that worn already. Had the discs on my previous car (a Citroen C4 2 litre Auto) changed at about 50,000 miles  but that was mainly due to rust not because they were worn below the minimum thickness. I would hope to get about 50,000 ish out of both pads and discs based on my experience of previous cars.

Plenty of rust on those which would affect the integrity of the discs. If you're going to be doing the same amount of driving/parking it would be worth hitting the edges and centres of the new discs with heat resistant paint before you fit them to hold off the rust, if they don't already come that way. 

• Like 1

it has done that because of the time the car is left between driving. it is nothing to do with wear or mileage. the way you leave the car between driving (a week or two) it will do it again if you fit new ones. (unless you keep the car in a garage and it is dry when put away) that's just the way it is. if it is up to MOT standard (tester does not consider the integrity affected and they do not pull to one side to cause swerving) then I would just leave it how it is. you would have nothing to gain by putting new ones on.