Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford focus 1.6 TDCi Clutch problem advice plz

Cameron

Hi Guys

2011 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 

mileage: 90K plus

Problem: clutch concentric slave cylinder is knackered and needs replacing.

I was running low on brake/clutch fluid and my clutch pedal was stuck to the floor. Once i had lifted the clutch pedal back up using my toe, the clutch pedal is fine for the whole day until the next morning. A few weeks later the clutch pedal got worse and now there is no resistance when applying pressure on the clutch pedal. You can actually use your finger on the pedal and it will go and remain straight to the floor. 

Initially i thought the clutch master cylinder was gone but it turns out its the concentric clutch slave cylinder is faulty. The fluid is weeping out of the bell housing.

Now my question,...... (please see below)

1. what should i do, should i just replace the concentric slave cylinder or replace the whole clutch  3pc unit ?

2. Does anyone know the best place to buy the concentric unit and or the whole clutch unit from at a low/cheap discounted price? i've looked on euro car parts but the prices are shocking!!

3. When installing the new concentric slave cylinder unit, what type of grease is required to be applied onto the gearbox shaft ?

4. has anyone got a clutch replacement guide for a focus 1.6 tdci that they could kindly share

Thanks

Cameron

replace all the parts

2  i got mine from a good motor factors i used LUK  but like they say you only get what you pay for 

3  i used a high melting point  grease but only a little as using  to much it can get spun all over the new clutch parts

4  i used the Haynes manual and it went well its a lot of work to do it :smile:

• Like 1

Stick to LUK, Sachs or Valeo, as Dez says you get what you pay for with clutches! Have you tried Mister Auto for a price?

• Like 2

The last 10 clutches I've fitted I haven't greased the input shaft with anything, just something else for the dust to stick to lol

• Like 2

Many thanks guys for your replies.

you right, seeing that the box needs to be removed, i'd rather replace the whole clutch kit. 

Dez, i don't suppose you could disclose how much you paid for your clutch kit? I've practically tried every where and the prices are really steep.

Has anyone created a clutch replacement guide that they could kindly share.

There appears to be mixed comments on whether to apply grease on the gearbox shaft, confused ?

What type of grease would you recommend for the gearbox shaft ?

Thanks

Cameron

• Like 1

Replace the dmf too, that'll make your parts cost look a whole lot worse lol.

some clutch kits come with grease, some don't but personally I don't bother. Too many people put far too much on too.

• Like 1

thanks guys for your replies.

I'm concerned that if i don't apply grease on the gearbox input shaft, the throw on bearing/ concentric slave cylinder may not move freely. On my other car, during cold morning, it feels as though the clutch release bearing isn't moving nice and freely as it should. Once the car has warmed up and been driven for a few minutes, it un-sticks itself and runs fine. 

Is applying lube on the gearbox input shaft more bad than good ? 

What about dry grease, that way it will not attract dirt? 

Can anyone name or post a link of the actual title of the grease which would be suitable?

Oh nearly forgot, how much gearbox oil is needed and is 75w80 the right spec gear oil?

Thanks

Cameron

thanks guys for your replies.

I'm concerned that if i don't apply grease on the gearbox input shaft, the throw on bearing/ concentric slave cylinder may not move freely. On my other car, during cold morning, it feels as though the clutch release bearing isn't moving nice and freely as it should. Once the car has warmed up and been driven for a few minutes, it un-sticks itself and runs fine. 

Is applying lube on the gearbox input shaft more bad than good ? 

What about dry grease, that way it will not attract dirt? 

Can anyone name or post a link of the actual title of the grease which would be suitable?

Oh nearly forgot, how much gearbox oil is needed and is 75w80 the right spec gear oil?

Thanks

Cameron

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club