Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake pad replacement

orangeboy

Hi folks,

I'm replacing the front discs and pads on my Focus.

I've done this many times in the past to previous cars, and normally I would push the piston back into the caliper gently to allow for the new pads. However, I glanced at the workshop manual and it states not to do this but to open the bleed screw as the reverse flow of fluid in the system could flip the seals in the master cylinder.

Is this normal practice? I've never heard of doing it this way before.

Brian.

Done mine & pushed the pistons back with my fingers & all ok. It 'could' happen but in reality probably won't. They have to cover themselves

• Like 1

pushed mine back very slowly they were fine :smile:

• Like 1

There is no problem with pushing the Pistons in as long as you do it slowly, in America some fords in service have had the seals flip over and over pressure the brake fluid master cylinder allowing fluid to then run into the seal tube.

this happened because they used the pit crew type pad spreaders, 2 foot long big handles huge pressure on the Pistons.

so anyway no do as normal just take your time while doing it, don't forget to copper slip up the backing plates on pads to stop any possible slight movement squeal when braking.

paul

I have never had the need to open the bleed screw, just don't be hand fisted in pushing the piston back in, slowly does it, By way of interest the Skoda's do suffer from the seals reversing in the master cylinder.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going the job tomorrow so by hand and slowly it is.

Brian.

All done and all went well. 

New Brembo pads and discs from Euro Car Parts, and even had time to paint the callipers.

Saved £163 over the Ford Dealer quote...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, orangeboy said:

New Brembo pads and discs from Euro Car Parts, and even had time to paint the callipers.

Great news :smile:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, orangeboy said:

The disks are uv coated, should last ages before any rust shows on the exposed outer faces, had mine on a while now and still like new :)

• Like 1