Do Not Sell My Personal Information

car wont turn over

follybob

hi new to the group , yesterday i replaced the gearbox in my 2011 1.6 petrol focus newer shape . all went well except now the car wont turn over , i get all dash lights i should get but nothing happens on turn of the key , also fuel pump is making no noise when switch ignition on to red lights , it only makes a noise when turn the key. i have tried towing but still nothing, any ideas what could be wrong thanks

Starter motor could well be jammed or check wires in the back of it! Disconnected wires ? Broken wires ?

• Like 1

Does it turn over and wont fire or nothing at all? Were any earth straps removed and were they refitted?

I thought starter motor too but if it wont start off a bump start that rules that out doesnt it? Unless as Ian suggests wires are damaged.

Check all fuses too. Could be something daft like that.

• Like 1

thanks for reply`s i didnt disconnect any starter wires im leaning more towards an immobiliser issue with the battery being off for 6 hours , is there anyway to reprogramme key to car without plugging in obd2 thanks

7 hours ago, follybob said:

i didnt disconnect any starter wires im leaning more towards an immobiliser issue

It would be highly abnormal if disconnecting a battery for a few hours de-programmed the immobiliser. If it is immobilser, the red lamp will flash rapidly after ignition on, or a message will appear. The lamp will flash out a code after a while, two digits obtained by counting the pulses. Goggle PATS flash codes if needed.

To re-programme the PATS (immobiliser) system on a Mk3 Focus is, as far as I know, a Ford dealer job only. Forscan can not do it.

Often the main engine earth is on one of the bellhousing bolts, near the starter motor. You would have had to undo this to remove a gearbox. The starter will not work without this connection.

If the wiring is ok, check relevant fuses. Then trace the signal through. There is a starter relay in the engine bay fuse box, see if this clicks when the key is turned to start. This relay should energise the smaller terminal on the starter solenoid. One large terminal on the solenoid should be always live (12v), and the other has a strap connection to the motor.

Are there any interlocks to the clutch pedal or transmission on this engine? Ie gear must be in neutral or clutch pressed. If so maybe an electrical problem has developed there.

• Like 1

disconnecting the battery wont make any difference to the immobilser . think peter is on the right track with engine earth wire .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iantt said:

disconnecting the battery wont make any difference to the immobilser . think peter is on the right track with engine earth wire .

I suggested it first lol, where is my mention?:laugh:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WES180 said:

I suggested it first lol, where is my mention?:laugh:

opps  , i was tired. 

• Like 1

disconnecting the battery wont make any difference to the immobilser . think wes is on the right track with engine earth wire .

liked you posts wes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iantt said:

disconnecting the battery wont make any difference to the immobilser . think wes is on the right track with engine earth wire .

Ha ha. Why thank you kind sir!:laugh:

• Like 1

cheers guys going to have a good look today and will report back thanks

• Like 1

nice one fellas main earth was not connected on front of bell housing thanks , does anyone know how much gearbox oil i should need to put in . its a 1.6 petrol 2011, is there a tecnical data sheet on this site thanks

• Like 2

probably should of replaced the clutch really as bite is near top of the pedal 

Glad you sorted it. Always worth checking the basics first, they are as far as my mechanical knowledge extends to!:laugh: