Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.6L 2001

DeanUK_

I have a ford focus 1.6L 51 plate I am getting a weird rattle sound top end of engine sounds like loads of bolts rattling around in my engine. I have recently done a oil change as the dipstick had no oil on it the noise is loud when revving the car hardly hear it when idle tho. HELP needed. any idea?

Petrol engine roughtly 150k miles

When was the timing belt last changed? How often is it serviced??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I asked the lad that just sold me it and he says he's never changed the timing belt at all on focus but it's like a rattle noise like bolts clashing around in the top half of my engine I've just bought the car so don't know about service 

I asked the lad that just sold me it and he says he's never changed the timing belt at all on focus but it's like a rattle noise like bolts clashing around in the top half of my engine I've just bought the car so don't know about service 

I'd get the timing belt checked. Mines an 03 Focus 1.6LX. Bought it with 74,900 miles in Sept and it was over due then. It's just hit 77,780 so after Christmas I'm having the timing belt changed.

My friend has a 2010 Mazda 3. His rattled like this and seized his engine. Now he's had to replace it. I'd say definitely have it checked over by a mechanic.

I'll be doing mine after Christmas.

I don't know a lot about engine's but I'll get the timing belt checked. I thought it was the oil either wrong oil in or none in at all. there was no oil on dipstick when pulled out I asked the lad about this and apparently when he googled it he said that many people with focuses said it's happened to them as well but when I put oil in there was oil on dipstick not a great lot maybe clogged up or he's drove it that long with so little oil in

I don't know a lot about engine's but I'll get the timing belt checked. I thought it was the oil either wrong oil in or none in at all. there was no oil on dipstick when pulled out I asked the lad about this and apparently when he googled it he said that many people with focuses said it's happened to them as well but when I put oil in there was oil on dipstick not a great lot maybe clogged up or he's drove it that long with so little oil in

When I bought mine, it didn't have any oil on the dipstick either. Thought there was a leak, but turns out he'd never replaced it since he'd owned it.
I put some oil in for the 60 mile drive back, and apart from needing a bearing, two new front brake pads, and a good service it hasn't put me wrong yet.
Did the pads myself, along with a good service and got a mate to sort out the bearing so it wasn't an expensive deal luckily. I've since replaced some of the bulbs as the rear ones were wrong, and tripped the rear O/S cluster but I'm happy with it.
I hope it's got a fair few thousand more miles init. The engines are pretty sound in the 1.6 of this age.

Everything seems good tho. brilliant car until I heArd this horrible knocking/rattling in the top half of engine. isn't heat Shields or nothing it's Deffo in the engine worse when revving and driving hard to describe the sound other than sounds like bolts clashing all over in the top half of engine I do have a bad cat at the minute as the honeycomb is wrecked in cat but that's a rattle in the cat but this is the engine and it's doing my head in but when I youtubed it there was a video similiar to my noise nd it said timing belt. I could get a link to that video to show you 

sounds like this maybe a bit worse than that but it seems like the same rattle but to me on that video it sounds like a cat rattle my rattle is a bit more powerful and bit more steady clackering

If it's never had it changed in 150k miles then it needs it doing. I'd just get it checked out. If it a not that then happy days, but if it is and you've caught it early then that's a new engine you won't have to buy.

OK thanks for replying I'll get timing belt checked over as it most prob needs changed like you says 150k miles so will need checked. if you see any other forums or if anyone out there that had a ford focus with same problems please message me thanks

• Like 1

Will do :) Hope it's not the timing belt and a simple fix.