Do Not Sell My Personal Information

heater problems

kimo

Hi

I have a 2001 KA. had it about 6 months with no problems until now. About 2 months ago I noticed the engine coolant level going down, my partner took a look and couldn't find anything wrong so we topped it up and checked it often. then all of a sudden a month ago I was driving to work and as I parked up there was steam billowing out the bonnet. all the coolant had leaked out. We got the AA out and they said the pipe to the heater control valve had completely perished hence no coolant was getting anywhere.

Ive replaced the control valve and everything seemed fine until I went of more of a longer run. With the heater on coldest it only takes 3 clicks for warm air to start coming through, the warm on the same setting soon turns to hot & in my mind way too hot. checked the oil. no sign of water & the coolant level hasn't changed so no leak.

I anyone can give me any advice I would be very grateful. I cant really afford to take it to a garage. THANKS

Hi Kimo, 

I had exactly the same problem with my StreetKa. It started to eat the coolant and after 5 miles journey the engine was overheating. My heat control valve gave up first and after the expansion tank exploded. AA told possible head gasket. One of the local service sorted out, it needed new thermostat (it was dead stuck) and thermostat housing. Also mine one had problem with the fan relay as well. 

I would also check out the water pump and flush out the system just in case. The parts are available from eBay for peanuts. Not a big investment, I recommend to change the valve and the complete thermostat for starter. Also check your engine fun is kicks in.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

In the summer when the coolant started to disappear before we found out about the pipes. As we tested things after topping the coolant up it took a long time for the fan to kick in maybe about 10 mins of ticking over plus some hefty revs. How long should it take for the fan to kick in??

on the fan kicking in from what you said sounds about right. i would do as szabi says thermostat and housing and flush the system. a relay dont cost much either so mayaswell change that part aswell

Nightmare returned. Looks like some fault with the heater control knob as well. Only produce warm or very hot air, but it is changing different temperatures every second clicks on the knob. The change isn't constant... so when I start to turn it from full cold to full hot... warm-hot-warm-very hot- moderate warm - hell! 

My car is started to be a comedy and can't be angry anymore :D

That sounds like mine. I had no idea the air could get that hot. Ive ordered a new thermostat and lets see if that has any change. if that fails I will take it to a garage. in summer it wouldn't be a problem but I'm worried the temperature of the coolant is too hot.  sign of white or foam in the engine so 100% sure the head gasket is fine. I know its a old car but its amazing condition and well taken care of. I want to keep it for another year at least.

Yours sounds like thermostat. Don't use it too much, if it will overheat, the overflow tank or heat control valve can blow up. Also, you can cook your head gasket. 

I taken mine one for bits on the weekend and checked the voltage on the control panel. Yep, the control knob was broken. It was giving random voltages everywhere. I changed the whole panel in the dash, now is perfect. Same time I dig in the air con problem and looks like the system has gas, but the compressor isn't start. I can't be asked at the moment (I checked the fuse) , but looks like I have to go true on the relay/wire/ possible new compressor scenario. 

Let us know how it is going. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well ive replaced the thermostat and touch wood everything seems ok. the heater is a lot more responsive. The fan is kicking in nicely and the lava heat coming out the vents has stopped. so it must have been the thermostat, I guess as it wasn't kicking in the hot coolant was just going back round to the heater and getting hotter instead of setting the thermostat off and sending the coolant round the fan. So hopefully that's it, job done lol

On 22 December 2016 at 0:35 PM, kimo said:

Well ive replaced the thermostat and touch wood everything seems ok. the heater is a lot more responsive. The fan is kicking in nicely and the lava heat coming out the vents has stopped. so it must have been the thermostat, I guess as it wasn't kicking in the hot coolant was just going back round to the heater and getting hotter instead of setting the thermostat off and sending the coolant round the fan. So hopefully that's it, job done lol

Hi Kimo, 

Glad to hear about the outcome. Fingers cross it is going to be ok now. 

Mine one is booked for water pump, auxiliary belt and tension replacement after Xmas.