Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus MK2 Facelift Speedo Conversion

Flibbib

Hey all. There seems to be loads of broken guides, questions with a few answers etc in regards to this, and seeing as I lurk a lot I thought it's about time I gave something back. 

Here's my guide to removing pre facelift clocks, and replacing them with facelifts!

Basically, we're going from the green ones on the left, to the nice new facelift clocks on the right. If anybodies interested, I did this on a Focus 1.6 (100) petrol Sport, 2007 pfl.

15281113_10154799475973035_1523183607_n[1].jpg15320251_10154799476088035_528100420_n[1].jpg

REQUIREMENTS:

• 2 Keys (I've read that people have done this with less than two but ForScan REFUSED to complete one of the final steps for me with one)
  • Your vehicle MUST NOT be keyless
  • ForScan Extended License (Click here for ForScan Download and here for extended license. Extended license is free for two months, but you need to sign up to forums)
  • ELMConfig (Can be found here)
  • Modified ELM327 Cable able to work on both speed CANBUS networks (Like this one here, although I've used a cheaper version and it works, but this one is 100%)
  • AutoKeyProg account (Completely free, needed to get code to program keys. Their site is here, just be careful as you can only do a few codes a day)
  • Facelift Clocks, but you NEED to buy ones with a lower mileage than your car. Otherwise, you may have issues, but probably just a higher mileage reading.
  • A Torx Screwdriver (Not sure on size, but same screws as the ones behind stereo, glovebox etc) AND time, although if I did this again it'd take 15~ mins.

Step 1:

Go and install ELMConfig & ForScan. It's best to sort your extended license out with ForScan now so you can breeze through the whole thing. Once these are set up, we're ready to go. Get  in your car and hook up the cable to the OBD port. Open up ELMconfig, click HEC on the left, and then Configuration on the top tabs. You need to save HEC Page 1 & 2 pages of settings. Also at this point note down your current mileage and keep it safe.

15320396_10154807949908035_1424934417_n[1].png

Step 2:

Now once you have your current settings and mileage, you can actually swap the clocks. Turn the ignition off, and remove them. They are quite simple to change, just pull the cover from behind the steering wheel off, and undo the two screws. You may need to ease them out from the top with a flathead screwdriver, and then do the swap.

Step 3:

Once the new clocks are in, go back to ELMconfig (close it and reopen), and go back to the HEC menu, then Configuration again. Write your old settings back to the new clocks. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT ON PAGE 1, AT THE BOTTOM RIGHT, YOU ENABLE HEC LEVEL 2/3, AND SELECT THE CLOCK OPTION. Failure to do that can mess the clocks. Also ENSURE that obvious settings, like engine, are set correctly. 

A quick side note that cost me an hour: The clocks I brought were from a keyless vehicle. I got stuck at programming keys for an hour because the clocks were still configured for keyless. To correct this, and it's a good idea to check this anyway,is to go to HEC Configuration Page 2, and make sure in the HEC Level 2/3 box that the bottom option is Standard PATS (Focus Facelift Level 2/3)

15319515_10154807972668035_832924699_n[1].png

Step 4:

These are the most important steps, as this is where you programme your keys and sync the new cluster to the powertrain!

Once you've done that the clocks are fully configured. They should work with ignition on, light up, let you go through menus, but the car won't start. This is fine. We need to now go on ForScan (Extended License IS REQUIRED NOW).

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU READ THE ORIGINAL TUTORIAL HERE AS IT GOES INTO MUCH MORE DETAIL!

On my Focus, it said it wasn't sure if the key was programmed and to check the counter. It did successfully do both my keys, so that was all good.

Once you've programmed two keys, you can sync the new cluster to the powertrain control module. Again, read ForScan's own documentation for this:

This is ForScan's guide. You need to do "Module Initialisation" to sync the cluster

Step 5:

You're technically now done! At this point, the car should start and be happy. You can now follow James Simpson's brilliant guide on how to enable and disable cluster functions. Mine had washer fluid sensor, which I physically don't have, so had to turn that off, and also the annoying reverse alarm. Have a play about, as there is a hell of a lot you can enable with these clocks, especially if you still have the stock head unit in the car.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU CORRECT YOUR MILEAGE AT THIS POINT. IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING, THAT APART FROM BEING MORALLY WRONG, GETTING CAUGHT SELLING THE CAR WITH MISLEADING MILEAGE IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE, AND YOU'RE LIKELY TO GET IN TROUBLE IF YOUR MILEAGE HAS DROPPED SINCE YOUR LAST MOT. 

To do this, go back on ELMConfig, go to HEC, then Procedures. You can now change the mileage to your original. DO NOT MESS THIS UP AS YOU CAN ONLY GO UP!

15356840_10154808006963035_1908584262_n[1].png

That's all guys :) Any feedback, extra info or corrections would be appreciated. I would personally HIGHLY recommend doing this as it looks a hell of a lot smarter. Also there is a facelift clock with a bigger display that can support sat nav and a better display quality, but these are really rare.

• Like 3

Excellent write-up.
How about posting as a tutorial in the guides section for the future benefit of other members?

Sent from my SM-G930F

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

Excellent write-up.
How about posting as a tutorial in the guides section for the future benefit of other members?

Sent from my SM-G930F

It's read only so I think someone has to move it for me :(

Open the post to edit it then copy and paste.

Sent from my SM-G930F

That's well thought out and very a thorough guide, particularly with the actual screen print images:smile:

• Like 1

Thanks guys :) Is there any way a mod can move this if it's good enough to put in the guides section?

Also a quick update!

Unfortunately, after a few days, I went to my local scrapyard as he has a couple Ghia's lying about. I got back in the car, it refused to start, said I had a transmission and engine malfunction and I was stuffed. After a bit of investigation, it seems the Mk2 connector bends the port on Mk 2.5 speedos a tiny tiny bit. I mean literally tiny.

Fortunately, all I did was take the clocks out, and firmly push the connector in whilst slowly applying the clip, and it's worked. I assume it lost the ground on the connector as they'd cut out, not show mileage etc. They're fine now :) Just left them unscrewed for the moment so I can easily reinsert if it happens again out on the road... 

On another note, this is the current state of the car lol...

15398973_10154814579323035_1706895382_o[1].jpg

POSTED IN GUIDES TO MOVE SECTION PLEASE ALL COMMENTS ON THAT ONE GUYS :)