Do Not Sell My Personal Information

300hp 1.6 Fiesta tdci

tdci38

Hi
I am a newbie to this site here is my project which has just escalated as time gone on, you may ask why a diesel but i thought I will give it a try ...i started to do some mods remap, exhaust then i wanted to go a bit further well more then just a bit most bit have been through trial and error so far upgrades focus 110hp injectors, turbo dynamics kp35 hybrid turbo,ss exhaust from turbo back,fcd2 ( thanks stewart),FMIC, kevlar clutch, methanol injection kit and a rs tuning custom map giving me 156hp 260fbt.

tdci002.jpg

focus 110hp njectors
100_1063.jpg

kelvar clutch
fiestaclutch002.jpg

FCD2
100_1064.jpg

fiestaTDCI001.jpg

for my next incarnation
injectors modified with bmw 335d injector nozzles thanks dieselbob
BMW335DNOZZLES.jpg

you know how one thing leads to another i wanted  bigger valves, but due to the lack of room between valve and bore wall this was not feasible, so my fabricator has been speaking to his engine shop its taken quite a bit of convincing of hwy we want to pursue tuning a 1.6 diesel but  they have now come round to the idea and are fascinated about the project. 0.05mm oversize pistons are only available which is no use to me reason for this the engine comes with liners so a rebore is not possible. The engine shop state they have repair liners on the shelf which can take the bore from 75mm to 80mm increasing capacity from 1560 to 1775, but locating a set of pistons seams to be a tad difficult because of the small end, but i am just going to get farndon to make me a set of rods with a small end of my choice........Increasing the bore size  allows a whole host of alternative valves sizes, best combination seams to be  26mm exhaust and 29mm inlet from standard 23.4 exhaust and 25.5 inlet so a gain of 23% and 29% respectively which is quite a lot,  All the porting is done to a spare head I will put pictures up as soon as I can

I have been looking at the gearbox side of things without this the project wont start, now building a stronger Ib5 box is simple but building one with the right gear ratios is causing me headache the fiesta 1.6tdci comes with a 3.7 F/D  with 205/40/17 tyres  giving  a rolling radius of 6.14 @ lets say 4800rpm gives a top speed of 113mph, there are two  other F/D available which suit a diesel perfectly a 3.3 and a 3.1 the 3.3 comes with the same 8-bolt fixing as the 3.7 but good old fords for some reason decided to change the later fiesta  3.1 to an 12-bolt fixing  8mm screw  and a  totally different carrier, so I am waiting on a machine shop on a cost to see if the parts can be  machined  to fit

turbo GTB1756vk off an audi q7 3.0tdi good for 32 psi at 2000rpm new generation vnt want to go to a hybrid GTB2256vk at a later date

audi 2.7 tdi fuel pump and pressure sensor

ported head with larger valves
custom inlet manifold

straight through 2.5" exhaust system with no box

tubular manifold placing turbo over gearbox

• Like 1

gearbox standard ratios are not good with a 3.7 C/W weak diff and fragile teeth not much use for big power or top speed, so i enlisted a transmission company called G.E.A.R.S tv to build me a box....................Specification is as follows

3.05 crown wheel & pinion
quaife ATB diff ,modified  12-bolt crown wheel to fit diff
shimmed diff to obtain correct preload
late high ratio gear set (3.15 1st gear) similar to rs turbo ratios
new bearings,syncro rings nub shifing plates and tension springs
cryogenic treated gear set
gearbox.jpg

• Like 1

Car is nearing completion had a bit of trouble enabling the vnt control, still quite a few bits to do the  turbo is a GTB1756 good for 240hp on a 1.9tdi  but I will eventually have to go bigger, taken a long time but its still work in progress by  station Motorsport. 

IMG-20121016-00740.jpg

IMG-20121016-00741.jpg

• Like 1

IMG-20121029-00755.jpg

currently trying to find a suitable fuel pump the car comes with a 70cc pump good for 190hp attempting to make fit a 135cc pump which can supply enough fuel for 300hp, i want to ensure pump on working  with larger nozzles before the mapping

• Like 1

larger pump fitted to dummy engine modifications to the bracket connecting the pump to the engine, remachined sprocket relocated tensioner, larger fuel feed pipe, pump being fitted today i am surpised at the size of the common rail high pressure compared to a the old mechanical pumps but even this pump is much larger then standard.
i have been waiting nearly two months for this pump from design to completed unit, wont take this long for the next person because all the development work been done i hope its worth the wait... this pump will work on both variants 90hp & 110hp

IMG-20130116-WA0001_zps57e979fc.jpg

IMG-20130116-WA0000_zps0447ee50.jpg

IMG-20130116-WA0002_zps7cfed1e2.jpg

• Like 1

215mm  clutch cost an arm and a leg, the cover was crazy expensive but its a must in the search for power rated to 446fbt flywheel needs machining to fit

helix six paddle plate

IMG-20130531-WA0001_zpsd6512d9c.jpg

modified heavy duty cover to work with the standard slave cylinder

IMG-20130531-WA0000_zpsc54178eb.jpg

• Like 1

The engine made 230hp and 310fbt  the torque is relatively low because for a 1.6 gtb1756 vk turbo is way too big just doesn’t come on boost early enough, I will have to bring the engine build forward I had always planned to increase the engine capacity to a 1.85cc, fitting a turbo from a 2.7L onto a 1.6 is asking too much of the turbo.

b4b12ea1-fc8c-48dc-a9d8-9826c60e79be_zps

• Like 1

some updates with a slight change of plan......Engine build nearly underway just some issues with the liners, like with everything else on this car liners have to be custom made I thought I could get away with off the shelf  liner but the supplier has discontinued the size I am after 

Going to go compound charged   but with a supercharger Eaton m45 supercharger off a late mini with Teflon coated blades.
20150710_150258_zpsxijhtdw4.jpg
[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/turboboss/
20150710_150324_zpskz5skcs9.jpg

• Like 1

Gtb2260 off a 3.0tdi audi but with a billet wheel plus supercharger going to be interesting may increase the size of the turbo to a GTB2566 to increase flow, compound charging enables you to run a bigger turbo which in a single configuration would hardly spool.

20140613_131301_zpsce0c4ad6.jpg

• Like 1

QUOTE=Badman38;6641587]At long last big valve  cylinder head and the block with larger liners are finally finished, head just needs porting now.

IMG-20151203-WA0000_zpsep1oc5qv.jpg[/QUOTE]

• Like 1

Hey. Just curious, after all you've spent on that motor, why didn't you just get a project car with a bigger motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that is commitment to a project! As FourD says you could have opted for a bigger motor but it wouldnt have got you the bragging rights you have now. All that power from a 1.6 (ish) diesel, top effort!:smile:

I wanted a small platform so fitting a bigger diesel engine wont be an option not as if like the st1510 I could opt for example a 2.0 zetec turbo because on diesels the ecu runs everything, I would think wiring be a nightmare, the engine will be just under 1.7 but will act like a big engine especially at 4bar of boost pressure going to compound charge not just twin charge....  the turbo within its compressor map can do a  maximum of 320hp which will be the low pressure but high flow side I am expecting around 500fbt..

You converting to RWD/AWD? Kinda pointless to have a higher power FWD due to the lack of traction you can put down, guessing you have also fixed the fatal oiling design flaw in the engine as well? Kinda scared to ask what the insurance would be on that as well!

Good to know that there are still people doing this sort of engineering makes a change from gel overlays. Good luck and keep us informed of progress.

• 4 weeks later...

Engine build nearly complete slow but getting there, currently waiting on gearbox mtx75 rebuild and uprating

P1000547_zpsxnqxz4ob.jpg

• Like 1

Car now running just an issue with the clutch which is going back to helix for modifications won't be a quick job even though it's an easy fix

IMG-20161210-WA0000_zpsq0wjjr2w.jpg

• Like 2