Do Not Sell My Personal Information

28.3 mpg for 1,6 petrol

Jordan122

Everyone

I have a focus 1.6 petrol, the 99bhp version and am getting around 28mpg! Town driving so i expect it to be low

On Parkers it's supposed to be 40 (obviously real world is different) but i would expect at least 35mpg for a 1.6 petrol.

I had a mini cooper s (1.6T) before my focus and driving like a nutter i got 27mpg. 

It has done 135k so is there something i need to replace to achieve a better figure? ignition pack & HT's?

My 1.6 fiesta has only done 11k and I get the same MPG around town, I think it's just the engine doesn't seem to like economy.

I've never seen 28MPG.

Mid 30's around town and 44ish on my daily 20 mile commute.

Fiesta and Mini are a good 200kg lighter.

You can't expect the same economy from the heavier Focus.

• Like 1

Mine, a 2010 auto, averages 35 with most of my mileage being local including a daily 10 mile dog walking round trip.

Not town driving as I live in the sticks but the car seldom gets a chance to stretch its legs. I'm long past being a boy racer but neither am I an archetypal Micra driver...

How recently did you have the air filter changed? Tyre pressures checked?

2 hours ago, Jordan122 said:

Everyone

I have a focus 1.6 petrol, the 99bhp version and am getting around 28mpg! Town driving so i expect it to be low

On Parkers it's supposed to be 40 (obviously real world is different) but i would expect at least 35mpg for a 1.6 petrol.

I had a mini cooper s (1.6T) before my focus and driving like a nutter i got 27mpg. 

It has done 135k so is there something i need to replace to achieve a better figure? ignition pack & HT's?

Focus titanium 1.6 (99bhp) here. I drive 7 miles to work a day then 7 miles back, in the winter I get 35.5 mpg and in the summer it rises to about 38/39 mpg. When was your air filter last changed?

2010 titanium 2.0 manual. To work and back for me is 6 miles total car averages 25mpg but tbh i can't moan as it only just warms up and I'm at work.. on longer runs say motorway work I'm doing mid 40's.. 

Check airfilter plug condition as ppl said and also depends how u drive what the roads r like where u r.. I.e. lots of stop start or is it a long straight Rd wi no stopping 

Get mid 30s lots of stopping and starting will drop mpg. On a long (40 mile) run of country roads and motorway I will get 38-39 even in winter.

It's fair to say there are a hell of a lot of variables to take into account when judging mpg. Road condition, driving style, the car itself. 

I would give ur car a once over tho to rule out any mechanical issues, tyres, filters, plugs etc.. but as has been said it's a heavier car than what you previously had and cud just be that's what it can manage when you take into account it's condition and all of the above.

19 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Fiesta and Mini are a good 200kg lighter.

You can't expect the same economy from the heavier Focus.

Probably more than that being an estate model as well?  Such a small engine really isn't suited to a heavy Focus let alone an estate.  If the boot is used to regularly carry large loads that'll make it even worse.

I must admit the MPG in here is making me sad lol...1.6 diesel here with 140bhp (previously 110bhp), £30 tax and 55mpg over 2 years, mostly short and/or town journeys.  I really don't know how people can afford to run petrols.  :ohmy: 

Lol each to their own. I changed from a 1.6 hdi c4 coupe remapped to 140bhp from 110bhp.. it was quick and pulled like a train n yeah I got mid 50s in the mpg but it was heavier than the the moon and handled like a tank. Least with my petrol focus I can go round a corner without wallowing and wobbling like a drunk walrus lol.. but yeah the diesel is naturally better on mpg

• Like 1

Tom, your Focus would handle better with a lighter petrol engine up front.

That's what makes my mum's 1.0 estate a hoot, you can chuck it about like a smaller car.

My ST feels so heavy in comparison.

My dad's 1.0 Fiesta is even more chuck able.

Only so much suspension tweaking you can do when there is a massive block of metal between the front wheels.

I agree, however I very much doubt the 2.0 Petrol in Davids Focus weighs less than the 1.6TDCi.  In fact it probably weighs more if it's a cast block.  We can't compare the 1.0 as it's not available in the Mk2.  If it was Mk3 then yeah the 1.0 should handle better than the 1.6TDCi.

Back in my 306 days, the 2.0 petrol in the GTi6/Rallye weighed more than the 2.0 HDi lol!  The 1.8 petrol was lighter, and felt it through the corners...but didn't have the MPG of the diesel, or the noise and power of the GTi6...so wasn't really a great compromise lol, I always ended up back in a HDi. :laugh: 

I'm not sayin it does weigh less I'm only going on past experience.. and yes the handling on the c4 was prob more to do with the car I.e. suppension setup etc but every diesel I've driven feels heavier than its equivalent petrol that's all.. not sayin all diesels r rubbish in corners.. But that's drifting off topic of the thread.

The C4 and 308 both handle like crap, I tested both with the 1.6TDCi before choosing the Focus lol...comfort & handling were 2 of the main reasons. :biggrin: 

You're right it is going off-topic a bit, however I'm looking at petrols myself, with basically just my current car as the budget lol...that means there's a lot of Mk2 Focus' in budget but nothing with an economical petrol (well, a few 1.4 TSI Golfs, but looks like they struggle with MPG as well).  The change is purely down to damn DPFs!  But seeing the figures in here, there's no way I could even afford to fuel & tax a 1.6 (despite 41 less bhp) compared to my current diesel, let alone anything with some power, just seems mad tbh!  I'll leave it now though lol. :whistling:

• Like 1

I have a mk1 focus 1.6 that's done 140k with quite a few mods which gives me 142bhp I get roughly 32mpg going to work and back and about 36-38ish on a long run and that's with a heavy foot from time to time

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a mk1 focus 1.6 that's done 140k with quite a few mods which gives me 142bhp I get roughly 32mpg going to work and back and about 36-38ish on a long run and that's with a heavy foot from time to time