Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3.5 - Headlight Malfunction

DJ_Andy_M

Evening All,

My 2015 MK3.5 Tit X has decided that the drivers side headlight is going to start doing a dance as I drive along, and the dashboard is now telling me that its having a headlight malfunction.

I have the full auto light package with the xenons. It is booked with Ford. Hopefully this is covered by the warranty! I'll get her hooked up to Forscan tomorrow and find out if that has much information to give.

Anyone else had this issue?

Cheers

Andy

I've heard of it before, they might try a software update first.

Otherwise it will be a new headlight.

All under warranty though, they know about the issue. (Ford that is, not necessarily your dealer, lol).

• Like 2

Ah cool. Only the third warranty repair this year. My dealer, the workshop manager is pretty clued up on all that stuff. I'm also going to see if he can get this so called Sync 2 3.10 installed while I'm at it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Ah cool. Only the third warranty repair this year. My dealer, the workshop manager is pretty clued up on all that stuff. I'm also going to see if he can get this so called Sync 2 3.10 installed while I'm at it.

Hey Andy it's seem me and you ain't having much luck I also have had 3 repairs this year. Dash fault,power fold wing mirror, and clutch so far. We should of got zetec lol less to go wrong

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeyd1 said:

Hey Andy it's seem me and you ain't having much luck I also have had 3 repairs this year. Dash fault,power fold wing mirror, and clutch so far. We should of got zetec lol less to go wrong

This is my luck with cars, I never get one that doesn't give me some issue. It is a Ford after all. I come to expect it.

So I'm sat in my car, radio off, and cooling off. All I can hear and see is the headlight trying to adjust its self. I can hear it going up and down but as it tries to adjust the beam pattern all I hear is tick tock tick tock from the actuator.

Forscan has presented the following result:

(OK) [02:27:10.758] On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [02:27:15.990] Test completed, found DTCs: B14DA:64, B1D65:87
===DTC B14DA:64===
Code: B14DA - Right Headlamp Light Distribution Actuator

Additional Fault Symptom:
 - Signal Plausibility Failure

Module: Headlamp Control Module===END DTC B14DA:64===

===DTC B1D65:87===
Code: B1D65 - Right Headlamp Swivelling Motor Circuit

Additional Fault Symptom:
 - Missing Message

Module: Headlamp Control Module===END DTC B1D65:87===

So to follow up on this... Ford are replacing the entire headlight and headlight control module as these need to be done together apparently.

Although someone at the Ford parts department screwe-d up and I'm now waiting an additional day for the part to come in!

So got the car back, and there seems to be a physical difference in the new driver side headlight. Its sitting much lower than the passenger side, although, it seems the passenger one doesn't actually sit as flush as the new driver side one with the body. This has resulted in the beams when adaptive mode sends them flat creating an uneven beam of light on the road.

IMG_20161215_191001901_zpsoc5iatba.jpg

They haven't altered the left/right setting on the cluster have they?
Worth checking.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Its all done on the dash on this model isn't it, and I checked that before I took the photo. The level didn't change, just the shape. Went from a peak on the left as you would expect to one on the right.

The calibration came back as correct according to the computer, and they are on very flat ground. There is a physical difference somewhere between the old and new. I even tried to reseat them just in case.

I'll just have to take it back because its almost as bad as it was in fail safe.

Following my last post. There is a hex screw on the headlight accessible without removing the headlight. This adjusts the height and has now solved it and I can see where I am going again :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Following my last post. There is a hex screw on the headlight accessible without removing the headlight. This adjusts the height and has now solved it and I can see where I am going again :) 

Glad u got it sorted mate. Nothing worse than another dealer visit

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mikeyd1 said:

Glad u got it sorted mate. Nothing worse than another dealer visit

Ha true. But I can see it coming, you know it!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Please help! 

I bought a focus st3 2016 from a VW garage (ironically an event that seem to blow Ford and VWs mind and not fit in with any of both manufacturers  policies), within six months i got a “headlight malfunction service warning light on the dash) I took it to ford (after 50 phone calls between the two) turns out one of the wires that go into the headlight itself has snapped) ford say they can’t repair only replace - it will cost £1200 For 1 light! The mechanic said it’s a unit failure- no impact signs or penetration of unit.

VW said that it is not covered as wiring is exempt from their warranty leaving me helpless, stuck between the two and with a 1200 slacker bill to pay - does anyone have any ideas??

• 4 months later...

just like to inform everybody headlight malfuntion warning lamp message reading requires service is most likely the front suspention level sensor 

i have a 13 plate focus that had fault light and dashboard warning took vehicle to ringways leeds main ford dealer £800 later they said needed new wiring loom at £600 plus labour so took vehicle to auto electrician who had ford program on laptop £45 later he said was suspension level sensor front right bought part from fords myself and got a local garage to install problem sorted hope this helps 

I have a similar problem on my 2016 ST3. No warning on the instrument panel yet but every so often the drivers side headlamp points down and to the right and will stay there until the car comes to a stop then it will correct itself. No DTCs showing up yet either. I expect it will get worse and happen more often until it finally starts showing an error. Looks like it’s just a waiting game till then.

• 1 year later...

For this fault first check inside the lamp as a simple wire breaks and causes the system to not read a signal for the adaptive function and goes into headlight malfunction mode (points down and to the curb)

www.adaptivefix.com do tidy repair kits and instructions on how to inspect and repair so it can save you handing over thousands on new lights when in 99% of cases it's simply a broken wire.

• Like 1