Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Air Cleaner Outlet Hose on Duratec 1.6 to Clean Throttle Body

90Ninety

OK I have a rough girl with a surging  idle , i've heard a likely cause could be a dirty  throttle body (and/or Map sensor ) that needs cleaning . Being tight of money for a mechanic looking at it , I want to have a stab myself . I had noticed this has been covered before here Duratec Cleaning Map sensor & Throttle body

To get to the throttle body , as shown in the post in the link, one has to remove the Air cleaning outlet hose . Strangley it seems ford have their own  proprietary steel ties , they look like the ties used on CV boots . To get the hose off the original ties look like  they need to be cut/destroyed (disposable).  I could get regular pinch clamp style ties , that are used on CV boots I suppose , but the lower hose tie  which attaches to the Throttle body is in a  very confined space, it would be  very tricky to get a pinch style clamps inside and at the right angle to get a tight clamp around the hose 

I was thinking of  using  a jubilee steel tie for the bottom end of the air cleaning outlet hose , as it would be easier to tighten 

I just wondered if anyone had done this before, that could share their experience with me? I have done pretty regular stuff on cars like CV joints , rotors , Pads , Brake cylinders - So I am confident with tools for basic jobs  

Fiesta TMAP.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

you only have to remove the pipe on the throttle body side it will spin out of the way. 4 30 torx bolts hold body to car unplug the throttle then u have it off 

• Like 1

The Ford clips are great.  There's a special tool for them, but they ping off easily with a screwdriver and refasten easily with a pair of pliers if you don't have it.

Some manufacturers don't use jubilee type hose clips because they don't fasten evenly, and doubtless also because they take longer to fit, but in this instance they'd be fine if you wanted to swap to them.

• 2 months later...

On 10/12/2016 at 9:56 PM, 90Ninety said:

OK I have a rough girl with a surging  idle , i've heard a likely cause could be a dirty  throttle body (and/or Map sensor ) that needs cleaning . Being tight of money for a mechanic looking at it , I want to have a stab myself . I had noticed this has been covered before here Duratec Cleaning Map sensor & Throttle body

To get to the throttle body , as shown in the post in the link, one has to remove the Air cleaning outlet hose . Strangley it seems ford have their own  proprietary steel ties , they look like the ties used on CV boots . To get the hose off the original ties look like  they need to be cut/destroyed (disposable).  I could get regular pinch clamp style ties , that are used on CV boots I suppose , but the lower hose tie  which attaches to the Throttle body is in a  very confined space, it would be  very tricky to get a pinch style clamps inside and at the right angle to get a tight clamp around the hose 

I was thinking of  using  a jubilee steel tie for the bottom end of the air cleaning outlet hose , as it would be easier to tighten 

I just wondered if anyone had done this before, that could share their experience with me? I have done pretty regular stuff on cars like CV joints , rotors , Pads , Brake cylinders - So I am confident with tools for basic jobs  

Fiesta TMAP.jpg

Yes you can use a jubilee clip or even a cable tie to reclamp the hose to the throttle body. Did it on a friends mk6 fiesta after cleaning the throttlebody/butterfly valve with cleaner.

This is mine which i have taken out and cleaned, but i have 1.8 125Hp 0b3733360f072c31ec8e9a586a396013.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro