Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Feeble Headlights

Linds

Had to do a lot of country driving in the dark recently and am becoming increasingly frustrated with how feeble the standard headlights are on my Mk3.5 1.5TDCi120 Titanium Navi. 

Bearing in mind I possess no DIY talents is there anything that can be done to improve the situation at reasonable expense?

Have you made sure your headlight level is on 0? I have no issue at all with mine

Sent from my OnePlus 3 using Tapatalk

Make sure they are clean, road grime really reduces output at a fast rate this time of year.

One of my colleagues has to clean her lights most days.

Otherwise your only other option is higher rated bulbs.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention about making sure your lights are clean. If you do go for a pair of uprated headlights, I highly recommend Ring Xenon130. Whiter beam and reach very far without dazzling other drivers. I rarely have to use high beams

1 hour ago, rm9 said:

Have you made sure your headlight level is on 0? I have no issue at all with mine

Yup ... set to 0.

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Make sure they are clean, road grime really reduces output at a fast rate this time of year.

One of my colleagues has to clean her lights most days.

Otherwise your only other option is higher rated bulbs.

I'm the same ... Suffolk roads are particularly dirty ... have to clean daily.

57 minutes ago, rm9 said:

I forgot to mention about making sure your lights are clean. If you do go for a pair of uprated headlights, I highly recommend Ring Xenon130. Whiter beam and reach very far without dazzling other drivers. I rarely have to use high beams

I think my standard lights are halogen - can I use this Xenon?  Will it melt anything?!

1 minute ago, Linds said:

I think my standard lights are halogen - can I use this Xenon?  Will it melt anything?!

They are still halogen, just a marketing name,

They're not actually xenon. They're standard halogen. I think they say it's xenon due to the Whiter look. So yes, you can use them [emoji4] had no problem with them

24 minutes ago, rm9 said:

They're not actually xenon. They're standard halogen. I think they say it's xenon due to the Whiter look. So yes, you can use them emoji4.png had no problem with them

Many thanks for your help rm9.  Much appreciated!

26 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

They are still halogen, just a marketing name,

... and thanks to you, alexp999.  I will let you know what I think when I have them fitted.

Many thanks for your help rm9.  Much appreciated!

No problem at all [emoji4]

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Osram nightbreakers have frequently been recommended too.

They're what I've gone with on previous cars, would recommend them myself.

I've got proper HID xenons on the Focus though, and tbh on dipped beam I still don't find them that great on backroads, but main beam halogen is fantastic.  I think the problem with dipped will always be the compromise between seeing yourself and not blinding oncoming cars though.

There is a noticeable difference once they've been blasted with the headlight washers though so keeping them clean is a good tip as suggested above.

Another Osram Nightbreaker fan here!!

Just swapped over to them in my Mondeo - after moaning for the last few months lol

Had them in my old Focus too - same story lol

I found the GE Sportlight's pretty good as well on my older cars. Now I have proper HID Xenons, I won't buy another car without them (or go for ones with LED headlamps)

I have just bought some osram night breakers from euro car parts and using the weekend30 discount code you can get them for less than a tenner delivered.

Have not had a chance to fit them yet but I am sure they are going to be better than the standard ones.

First, thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

I have fitted Lucas +120% LightBoosters and night driving has become a whole lot more relaxing.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club