Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3.5 weird suspension creak

Criot

Hi all,

I have a 2016 Focus Zetec 1.0 Ecoboost (125) that I bought second hand from Motorpoint in October, it's now about 8 months old. I noticed recently it makes a weird creaking type noise when going over speed humps mainly. I booked it in at Sandicliffe and they looked at it on Friday, absolutely nothing wrong with it, they 'tightened some things up and lubricated it' and then I presume took it on a test drive and couldn't replicate the noise, when I picked it up on Friday it wasn't doing it either so thought what they'd done had sorted it. However, Saturday and Sunday I went out in it and the noise had returned. I've managed to do a sound recording of it but unfortunately can't upload it on here, but found this YouTube video below which seems to show pretty much exactly the same noise.

Has anyone else had this issue/know what it could be? I've emailed Sandicliffe with the sound recording. They said on the phone when they rang to get me to collect it that the next probable step (if it continued) would be to take it on a drive with a Technician myself to replicate the issue for them.

Is it definitely coming from outside the car? Louder with the window open?

Sounds like a squeaky seat in that video, lol.

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Is it definitely coming from outside the car? Louder with the window open?

Sounds like a squeaky seat in that video, lol.

I'll have to confirm that, I've never actually listened to it with the window open. Fairly certain it's not the seat though, it's only doing it over speed humps generally and the bigger the hump the louder it generally is, i'm confident it's suspension related or something in that general area.

EDITED

Please check latest new post for best recording.

Edited by Criot
New recording

I dont know about the creaking sorry but the recording made me nod off, I will try it on the baby too later!:laugh:

6 hours ago, WES180 said:

I dont know about the creaking sorry but the recording made me nod off, I will try it on the baby too later!:laugh:

It does me too! I've managed to get a better one off of my phone now: http://clmarshall.co.uk/Car3.m4a

At 0:28 it can be heard very slightly (small road hump) after that they're quite large ones and it can be heard clearly at 0:37, 0:50 and 1:16 - The reason im giving you the times is so you can skip as to not get bored ;)

That recording is much clearer so hopefully someone might be able to shed some light on it. I've read a few other forums and seems some others have had the issue, and they ended up having to have their lower control arms replaced?

I'll be ringing Sandicliffe again tomorrow morning as I haven't had a response to my email from my 'Customer Adviser' (in all fairness he could be off work), but I'd like to have some sort of idea at what it could possibly be, if I can basically feed them information I probably have a better chance of getting it sorted.

it's nothing new creaking suspension has been an issue on every focus since 1998 caused by nothing being lubricated at the factory cold weather and the wet dries out the rubber causing squeeks white spray grease is usually the answer

8 hours ago, artscot79 said:

it's nothing new creaking suspension has been an issue on every focus since 1998 caused by nothing being lubricated at the factory cold weather and the wet dries out the rubber causing squeeks white spray grease is usually the answer

As mentioned in the original post, Sandicliffe already 'lubricated some things' which fixed it for a day - That's not to my satisfaction, i'm looking to a permanent solution. But thanks for your input.

I've got the same fault on my focus mk3. Mines a 2012 (61) and I have that noise I think coming from the front left suspension over speed bumps. It's in for a service on 3rd Jan, I'll mention it when I drop it off so the mechanic checks it out. Will let you know what they say. Car has 30000 on the clock so bushes shouldn't be worn yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dave1987 said:

I've got the same fault on my focus mk3. Mines a 2012 (61) and I have that noise I think coming from the front left suspension over speed bumps. It's in for a service on 3rd Jan, I'll mention it when I drop it off so the mechanic checks it out. Will let you know what they say. Car has 30000 on the clock so bushes shouldn't be worn yet.

Would appreciate that, I think mine is on the drivers side, but i'm thinking the same thing, with the age and milage of both they shouldn't really of worn.

• Like 1

there isn't a permemant solution the rubbers have just dried out the garage will lubricate certain bits but not all of them adequately if there was a permemant solution ford wouldn't still have the same issue almost 19yrs later

Does anyone else have anything to add to this? I'm interested to hear what the mechanic says to @dave1987 when his is in. I've not booked mine back in yet.

like I said its happened since 1998 lubricating the dry rubbers etc with white grease spray is the only way that you cure it once in the summer once in the winter

5 hours ago, artscot79 said:

like I said its happened since 1998 lubricating the dry rubbers etc with white grease spray is the only way that you cure it once in the summer once in the winter

Not at all intending to be rude here but I don't believe your theory one bit. My fiesta was 10 years old and didn't do this, someone I work with has a mk3 focus his doesn't do it, my uncle a mk2.5 his doesnt do it, another family relative has a mk1.5 focus yet his doesnt do it either.

Like I said before it went in and was lubricated by Sandicliffe and it lasted a day. I shouldn't be going out of my way to lubricate it myself on a car which was 20k brand new.

When it comes to things like this im an insistent person, I want it sorting and will do what I can to make sure they sort it.

• Like 1

it's no theory its fact I should know ive fixed enough of them mk1 mk2 and mk3 it,was lubed because ford know of the issue hence why they lubed it in the first place if you want it sorted trust me don't pick a ford they'll lube it up with white grease and send you on youre way take a look if you're not convinced its went on a long time https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=ford+focus+dry+suspension+creak&fr=opensearch

• Like 1

On 30/12/2016 at 4:10 AM, artscot79 said:

it's no theory its fact I should know ive fixed enough of them mk1 mk2 and mk3 it,was lubed because ford know of the issue hence why they lubed it in the first place if you want it sorted trust me don't pick a ford they'll lube it up with white grease and send you on youre way take a look if you're not convinced its went on a long time https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=ford+focus+dry+suspension+creak&fr=opensearch

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean, yes I believe that perhaps that is such the cause, but no I don't believe that me wasting my time greasing up parts on a 20k car every 6 months is the solution - I've already searched and found others have had the problem and went through the process of getting it sorted via lubrication exactly as I have, and the issue returned, they ended up having parts replaced, this is what i'm aiming for. I'm not wasting my time nor money lubricating parts of my car every year when I can get it fixed under warranty.

I don't think you have anything further to add to this topic at this time so please stop responding.

• Like 1

Yeah it's odd. I've also got a 2009 fiesta titanium mk7 1400 petrol and the bushes on that are absolutely silent. As I said, my focus is going in for a service and MOT on 3 Jan; I've asked the garage to look at them while it's on the ramp. The service advisor did say however that they don't lubricate bushes? Will keep you all informed nonetheless.

My 2011 Focus MK3 bumps, knocks and creaks over everything at low speed. I've had it at an independent and a main dealer, both couldn't see anything wrong, said everything was fine and solid. Obviously I'm not convinced as it's still doing it. I'm going to try one more independent on advice from a friend and I'll report back.

wow I thought this was a ford forum seems a lot has changed on here including ***** attitudes well mods I'm deleting my account sorry to say the forum is not what it was go ahead have parts changed good luck getting notorious ford customer service to give the go ahead the new parts do exactly the same when they dry out so when the 3 year warranty goes you'll be greasing them up anyway

11 minutes ago, artscot79 said:

wow I thought this was a ford forum seems a lot has changed on here including ***** attitudes well mods I'm deleting my account sorry to say the forum is not what it was go ahead have parts changed good luck getting notorious ford customer service to give the go ahead the new parts do exactly the same when they dry out so when the 3 year warranty goes you'll be greasing them up anyway

No need to swear, that's bad attitude :laugh:

cheerio, I'll know if I get a reply you haven't deleted your account lol

• Like 5

Just for the record my 2012 Focus doesnt creak or have any other weird noises. Good luck with getting it sorted, i know how annoying it can be especially when the cars still under warranty and you just want it sorted!

mine doesnt creak either on my 2013 focus, when i worked at ford garage for 13yrs i only recall having a hand full of customers having creaking suspension bushes. and it was just a case of lubricating,

• Like 1

I agree with artscot79 there is no hassle lubricating bushes every 6 months,like I do,no squeaks here too,it comes under general maintenance and looking for potential future problems.Why do members get shirty when he makes valuable contributions to this site and is trying to help.HAPPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

There are members here who like to do things like that, but at the end of the day I don't expect to be lubricating a nine month old car myself... maybe nine years old would be a different story.

It seems to be a mixed bag, some have the issue some don't, but for those that do its incredibly annoying, and there's been a mix of different solutions to the problem online, some regular lubrication, some have had parts replaced. I'll have to ring again some point this week to get one of their Technicians out in it with myself to replicate the issue for them then and see what they think.

I appreciate everyones contributions but you have to understand that the sane member posting the same thing in the thread over and over again when I clearly asked for other contributions is nearly as annoying as the noise from my car itself.

• Like 2

So my car has returned from its service (motorcraft major) & MOT at ford. I asked them to look into the suspension creak - no fault found which is what I expected to be honest. They did suggest that it "could be related to your worn front brake pads". Highly unlikely in my view.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club