Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing headlamp bulb

HeadShoT2009

On a 51 plate focus how do u get the spring that holds the bulb in to move ( in the car book it says something bout rotating it to the side) but I can't seem to do it can anyone give me a hand with this.thanks in advance for your help and advice

On a 51 plate focus how do u get the spring that holds the bulb in to move ( in the car book it says something bout rotating it to the side) but I can't seem to do it can anyone give me a hand with this.thanks in advance for your help and advice

I've just replaced dipped beam bulb on a mk2 55plate Focus, and I think you maybe reading the user manual incorrectly [ I did at first]

1. You have to pull off the electrical socket that is pushed onto the bulb [its a tight fit] try supporting the body of the bulb with one hand, whilst pulling the connector off with the other.

2. Then that allows you to unhook the spring loaded clip, and flip it back on its two secured anchor points.

3. this then allows you to rotate the bulb sideways and pull it out of its housing.

Obviously just reverse the procedure with the new bulb.

DON'T TOUCH THE GLASS PART OF THE NEW BULB. I think its something to do with chemicals on your hands that coming into contact with the glass, can shorten its life expectancy.

Hope that helps

I've just replaced dipped beam bulb on a mk2 55plate Focus, and I think you maybe reading the user manual incorrectly [ I did at first]

1. You have to pull off the electrical socket that is pushed onto the bulb [its a tight fit] try supporting the body of the bulb with one hand, whilst pulling the connector off with the other.

2. Then that allows you to unhook the spring loaded clip, and flip it back on its two secured anchor points.

3. this then allows you to rotate the bulb sideways and pull it out of its housing.

Obviously just reverse the procedure with the new bulb.

DON'T TOUCH THE GLASS PART OF THE NEW BULB. I think its something to do with chemicals on your hands that coming into contact with the glass, can shorten its life expectancy.

Hope that helps

The natural oils from your skin, gets broken-down by heat (carbonised), resulting in the glass getting so blackened that light output is almost nil, on the road, although you may think the bulb is still OK, close-up. With the high pressure in modern xenon-gas versions of halogens, they are likely to explode.

I still not quite sure how to get th clip undone like u said

Yours being a 51 plate, hence a mk1 must have a different set up to my mk2 55plate. But as a rule, like on my Volvo S40 54 plate. The spring loaded clips retract back easily, if you just give it a bit of thought.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just replaced mine. I have a mk1.5 but I'm pretty sure it's the same. What you need to do is:

1. unplug the wiring form the back of the bulb.

2. find the top of the clip above the bulb connection.

3. push the clip in and to the left on the right headlamp (passenger side) or in and to the right on the drivers side.

4. the clip should now be released so pull out the old bulb

5. insert the new bulb

6. put the clip back into place (reversal of removal :rolleyes: ) making sure it has clipped in and is nicely secure

7. re-connect the wiring.

I mine I really had to push down quite hard on the clip to release it, which does hurt, especially when you have cold fingers. Hope this helps ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club