Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Modifying Fiesta Std. 1.0 Airbox

Soveposen

Hi all

I was wondering if it is possible to add a cold air intake hose to bottom of the std. 1.0 ecoobost airbox.. like the Mountune one. I found that demon tweeks have all the parts I reckon would be needed for it for under 40£. I have added a screenshot of the parts. Of course this is depending on how the std. airbox actually looks.

Does anyone have any pics of the std airbox?
And have anyone tried adding the extra intake?

Cheers and merry christmas all.

Udklip.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

thats how the standard airbox looks. Not sure how hard it will be to modify it to get an cold air feed pipe to fit.

25 minutes ago, WillKinsella said:

IMG_0724.JPG

thats how the standard airbox looks. Not sure how hard it will be to modify it to get an cold air feed pipe to fit.

Thank for the pic Will. Althoug I thought it would be more flat at the bottom :( But basically if one did add a cold intake hose I guess it would function just as well as the Mountune or ST200 airbox I guess? 

15 minutes ago, Soveposen said:

Thank for the pic Will. Althoug I thought it would be more flat at the bottom :( But basically if one did add a cold intake hose I guess it would function just as well as the Mountune or ST200 airbox I guess? 

Not that I'm aware of I'm afraid. The mountune box is made from aluminium where the standard is plastic, and they will have tested it extremely and I believe they said something about pressure drop. Head over to mountune store, find the 1.0L Fiesta and have a look at the induction kit. It gives you a lot of information about it. As for functioning as good as the ST airbox, I'm not sure but think it would yes. I'm sure the ST airbox isn't any difference other than the extracold air feed, and different shape etc. But the mountune one will be a lot better than the standard with an extra cold air feed.

At one point I did look at doing something similar with modifying the standard air box but gave it a miss in the end and got a mountune one (cheaper off Ebay). As Will said above not sure where to take the cold air feed from, mountune and ST200 boxes have similar design which takes it from the bottom but have the shorter box design. I avoided that on the standard box just because the pipe would be too low to the road for my liking, would have to come from slightly higher up. Don't know if you have a high flow filter but they would also help and are fairly reasonable cost. :)

You'd probably be better off drilling holes in it. And let's be honest, You don't reaaaallly wanna be doing that either.

On 22/12/2016 at 2:43 PM, WillKinsella said:

Not that I'm aware of I'm afraid. The mountune box is made from aluminium where the standard is plastic, and they will have tested it extremely and I believe they said something about pressure drop. Head over to mountune store, find the 1.0L Fiesta and have a look at the induction kit. It gives you a lot of information about it. As for functioning as good as the ST airbox, I'm not sure but think it would yes. I'm sure the ST airbox isn't any difference other than the extracold air feed, and different shape etc. But the mountune one will be a lot better than the standard with an extra cold air feed.

I don't think that aluminum vs plastic will make such a big difference. Mountunestore writes as follows:  

"The air box has been engineered with features that reduce the delta pressure drop by 1.5kPa when combined with the mountune high flow panel filter, and a further 0.5kPa improvement when mated with the mountune high flow silicone induction hose."

It seems more likely that the pressuredrop is due to the filter and the induction hose than the box itself.
But I kinda feel like im moving more away from the DIY airbox and more towards the ST200 airbox. It would be nice if Sico-Developments had a sale in january.

Oh and a little side note.. I got the handheld tune device thing (Utune 2) today from Chiptuning.nu and installed the new tune. What a difference it made! Its like a whole different engine. Other than the extra raw power, the motor also ran smoother when driving and also when idling actually. It also drives more economically now if I don't floor it. Im very satisfied so far!
The guy who made the tune file said that it would be even better once the car got use to the tune. Does anyone know how that works? 

3 hours ago, Soveposen said:

I don't think that aluminum vs plastic will make such a big difference. Mountunestore writes as follows:  

"The air box has been engineered with features that reduce the delta pressure drop by 1.5kPa when combined with the mountune high flow panel filter, and a further 0.5kPa improvement when mated with the mountune high flow silicone induction hose."

It seems more likely that the pressuredrop is due to the filter and the induction hose than the box itself.
But I kinda feel like im moving more away from the DIY airbox and more towards the ST200 airbox. It would be nice if Sico-Developments had a sale in january.

Oh and a little side note.. I got the handheld tune device thing (Utune 2) today from Chiptuning.nu and installed the new tune. What a difference it made! Its like a whole different engine. Other than the extra raw power, the motor also ran smoother when driving and also when idling actually. It also drives more economically now if I don't floor it. Im very satisfied so far!
The guy who made the tune file said that it would be even better once the car got use to the tune. Does anyone know how that works? 

It takes a few days for the ECU to realise that it's been tuned meaning it takes a couple of days for it to get used to it type thing. My experience is that I wouldn't say it gets faster or anything, but seemed a lot smoother. When I first got my done it seemed as if the power was coming higher up in the revs, after a day or two it kinda smoothened out. Not that noticeable to be fair but that was with the bluefin.

The ST200 Mountune designed airbox is also plastic. With that in mind (i.e. The pressure drop isn't box related) I drilled a 2" hole in the bottom side of the standard airbox, facing the fog light area. I installed a simple pipe flange and enough 2" pipe to run to the same area behind the fog light that the Mountune hose goes to. I couldn't find the same type of porous hose as Mountune uses so simply used flexible reinforced hose and put a flymesh screen over the end. According to my diagnostics it has decreased stationary intake temperatures buy up to 20 degrees, noting that I do live in a very hot climate. Total cost about £20 and 90 minutes or so. 

Stupidly I didn't take photos but I will next time I have it apart. 

On 24/12/2016 at 1:01 AM, WillKinsella said:

It takes a few days for the ECU to realise that it's been tuned meaning it takes a couple of days for it to get used to it type thing. My experience is that I wouldn't say it gets faster or anything, but seemed a lot smoother. When I first got my done it seemed as if the power was coming higher up in the revs, after a day or two it kinda smoothened out. Not that noticeable to be fair but that was with the bluefin.

Okay, that way. It already feels more smooths than the original ford map, so I can't imagine that it will improve even more. Although if it does, I won't complain.

Also just ordered myself a primary and secondary induction hose in blue from something called MTC Motorsports on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/262775131778?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . Their prices seems very fair, and it seems like it is the same hoses that pumaspeed uses for their stage 3 induction kit http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Fiesta-10-Ecoboost-Stage-3-Full-Induction-Kit_16822.jsp .

On 24/12/2016 at 1:25 AM, ThaiFiesta said:

The ST200 Mountune designed airbox is also plastic. With that in mind (i.e. The pressure drop isn't box related) I drilled a 2" hole in the bottom side of the standard airbox, facing the fog light area. I installed a simple pipe flange and enough 2" pipe to run to the same area behind the fog light that the Mountune hose goes to. I couldn't find the same type of porous hose as Mountune uses so simply used flexible reinforced hose and put a flymesh screen over the end. According to my diagnostics it has decreased stationary intake temperatures buy up to 20 degrees, noting that I do live in a very hot climate. Total cost about kr174.35 (£20) and 90 minutes or so. 

Stupidly I didn't take photos but I will next time I have it apart. 

Awesome! Other than the temperature drop, did you notice any power increase? Oh yes I would have loved to see the photos of it all :)

On 26/12/2016 at 8:07 AM, Soveposen said:

Other than the temperature drop, did you notice any power increase? Oh yes I would have loved to see the photos of it all :)

I didn't notice any power increase. I expect this modification is to deal with the decrease in power that the car may suffer from heat soak and possibly (certainly in the case of the ST) insufficient intake volume through the snorkel. 

You can get a "free" increase in volume/decrease in warm air by cutting a snorkel sized hole in the plastic valance that covers the top of the radiator; not the one you can see when you lift the bonnet but the one under that. I think there is a segment on a video on the Steeda website. 

• Like 1

On 26/12/2016 at 10:56 PM, ThaiFiesta said:

I didn't notice any power increase. I expect this modification is to deal with the decrease in power that the car may suffer from heat soak and possibly (certainly in the case of the ST) insufficient intake volume through the snorkel. 

You can get a "free" increase in volume/decrease in warm air by cutting a snorkel sized hole in the plastic valance that covers the top of the radiator; not the one you can see when you lift the bonnet but the one under that. I think there is a segment on a video on the Steeda website. 

Cheers mate, much appreciatet.. I will have a look at it.