Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus ST security measures

Priceyy

Hi all ,

ive ordered the focus ST2 and get it January just wondering what precautions you all make for your cars ?

i will be moving the obd and placing a blank one in position but also wiring it to a 12v wire so it blows there machine, also a full face steering lock. 

Ive been looking into installing the viper alarm system anyone else got it ?

Thanks all

Disklok or some other physical deterrent which can be seen.

Viper not really necessary imo if you do your own obd security.

Also get yourself some obd disabled/immobilised stickers to try and reduce chance of windows getting smashed.

Agree with above, steering full face lock,are really good deterants. Other than what else your doing is adequate. 

Also purchase GAP insurance but not from the dealer, . Just in case the theft happens, least then you will get back what you paid for it. I use directgap for my misses and my car, only about £200 for 5 years cover. 

Make sure you post some pics up, you know it's the law 👍

Clutch pedal lock especially if it's keyless start.
If they can't push in the pedal they can't start it.
I also have Tracker fitted, if the car was to be pinched I have a 99.9% chance of getting it back and when found I get a security guard to stay with the car until it's recovered.
Viper is worthwhile as it acts as a secondary immobiliser and also provides perimeter protection if someone pays too much close attention to your car.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

Have you got keyless entry on order?

If you have, then get yourself a fraaday bag to keep your keys in at home so scum types can't scan your house for keys in the middle of the night and help them selves to your car.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dal. said:

Have you got keyless entry on order?

If you have, then get yourself a fraaday bag to keep your keys in at home so scum types can't scan your house for keys in the middle of the night and help them selves to your car.

Forgot about that, I keep my keys in a metal tin which blocks the signal. Always worth checking it's working as the first tin I tried didn't work (I could still unlock the car).

They can actually use signal relays to boost the signal from your key and unlock and start the car, without even coming in to your house, so worth doing to block the signal.

• Like 1

Daft question and a bit off topic, but is the key actually transmitting or is it like an nfc tag? If so what frequency is it on? I have a spectrum analyser and I can't find anything coming from my keys between 433-434mhz when I dangle my keys near it which i'd expect to see. I can see some very weak pulsing no matter where my keys are but I think this must be some TPMS transmissions coming from cars.

11 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

but is the key actually transmitting

The remote control fob will transmit when its buttons are pressed. But this only controls the central locking.

The PATS system is passive, and uses RFID system. It needs a local transmitter (in the car) strong enough to energise the RFID chip, which then replies. On the keyed system the PATS transceiver is a coil around the ignition key barrel, so is very short range. I think the keyless system is also passive, and has a number of transceivers located near door handles and inside the car.

Energising a passive key from any distance would require a very powerful transmitter, the inverse square applies to radiated signals. Such a transmitter would be easily detected by security agencies, and cause interference to other users, so is not very stealthy. The reply from the RFID chip will also be very weak.

Keyless entry and start is not passive. It doesn't work without the battery in the key.

It can fall back on to the passive system if the battery is flat. You use the blade to unlock the driver's door barrell then place the keyless fob in the designated place to energise the passive RFID immobiliser chip to start the car.

So it must be transmitting, no way could RFID work across a couple of metres.

OBD security box from ProtectAVan - steel box with anti drill lock that's thatcham approved.

4 minutes ago, Tomson said:

OBD security box from ProtectAVan - steel box with anti drill lock that's thatcham approved.

Overpriced rattley box that didn't fit, sent mine back. Much better and cheaper to sort something yourself.

11 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Overpriced rattley box that didn't fit, sent mine back. Much better and cheaper to sort something yourself.

Didn't have that problem with mine... expensive though!

21 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Keyless entry and start is not passive. It doesn't work without the battery in the key.

It can fall back on to the passive system if the battery is flat. You use the blade to unlock the driver's door barrell then place the keyless fob in the designated place to energise the passive RFID immobiliser chip to start the car.

So it must be transmitting, no way could RFID work across a couple of metres.

It doesn't work from a couple of meters I'm sure. Sometimes I struggle to unlock the car using the handle stood right next to the car, and when I get out of the car with the engine started and shut the door it starts screaming very quickly. 

Regarding the buttons, when a button is pushed these keys seem to pulse a transmission across three frequencies which is very noticeable on the spectrum analyser.

I think i'll start a new topic on this one with some screenshots of what I am on about.

22 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I think Alex is correct, although Ford (and others) call the keyless entry keys "passive keys". It looks like they are woken up by a quite powerful low frequency transmission, 125kHz has been mentioned, which is detected passively, no battery power needed. When the key is woken up like this, it communicates in the 433MHz ISM band with the car to supply the needed security codes. This phase needs the battery.

This makes sense. 433Mhz receivers and transmitters both consume a lot of power to operate, and would flatten a little key fob battery very quickly if used continuously, even on a very low duty cycle. The LF wake-up signal avoids this problem, and could have a reasonable range of 1-2 metres.

1 hour ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Regarding the buttons, when a button is pushed these keys seem to pulse a transmission across three frequencies

Most key systems operate in the unlicensed ISM bands, 433MHz & 915MHz bands usually.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2016 at 0:10 AM, Priceyy said:

Hi all ,

ive ordered the focus ST2 and get it January just wondering what precautions you all make for your cars ?

i will be moving the obd and placing a blank one in position but also wiring it to a 12v wire so it blows there machine, also a full face steering lock. 

Ive been looking into installing the viper alarm system anyone else got it ?

Thanks all

Hi,

I had a mk2 Focus RS stolen in 2014. Partly was down to my naivety, but from then I've had two other cars. I had a Focus mk2 ST and another Focus mk2 Rs.

On both of these cars, I use the full steering wheel disklok, however this is only deterrent. A thief can get this lock of off with tools in under 3 minutes. There's videos on Youtube ti illustrate this.

In addition to this, I've used SecureMyCar (Google them) on two occasions. They offer a security package involving OBD port removal / immobilisation, a Viper alarm and immobiliser aside from the useless ford factory one, glass break sensor, tilt sensor and a tracker. I can track my car on my phone via an app. I also bought remote start which is useful for the winter 😁

I cannot recommend them enough. 

£5 small petty cash box on eBay, file a hole for cable and lock original OBDC port in it. Its so restricted space under the dash they wont be able to jemmy or pick it. Cheap and works. Combined on mine, with moving the original and wiring a fake to put 12v on all the wrong terminals  and earth on the normal 12v so it melts the thiefs device

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club