Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford dealer said rear spring broken

v530anh

I went to a Ford dealer to fix a bad wheel bearing about 3 months ago. They did a standard....blah blah blah health check onto it and they said the rear spring was broken (and condition of break fluid pipes....) but I checked the springs even put my fingers between the springs and I can see no sign of breakage.

I also have had no problems or strange noises for 3 months.

I was thinking if they are soory were exaggerating due to a little rust on the off side rear suspension. Which I did try to wipe off with a steel brush, autosol and wd 40?

Sorry my grammar is a little rusty, 

Have a closer look at the springs, 99% of the time they break part of a coil off and it disappears, you'll see a sharp edge to the Spring. 

• Like 1

the rear spring tends to break in the suspension cup you can't see it without asking the car up

• Like 1

So I need to buy a Jack and stands to check it?

Won't I be able to check it by simply driving 2 wheels onto the kerb?

Edited by v530anh
Added a second question

Merry Christmas.Why not drive your car to a friendly local independent garage and ask them if you could use their ramp for a second opinion,I'm sure they will allow you to have a look as well.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

Driving onto the kerb probably wont help as the suspension will still be loaded up and the spring compressed.  Much easier to see it 'relaxed'.

If you haven't got a proper jack and stands you can CAREFULLY jack up that corner with the standard Ford jack and remove the wheel to see better.  Don't go underneath like that though and remember it could drop at any moment.  Rear springs are cheap and easy to change anyway though so shouldn't cost much. 

• Like 1

Just done two on my sons car they where broke right at the start of the coil no way we could see this without

Taking it up on the jack and stands

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dezwez said:

Just done two on my sons car they where broke right at the start of the coil no way we could see this without

Taking it up on the jack and stands

Out of interest, what method did you use to change the rear springs? still got all fingers intact? lol

• Like 1

as dezwez said you usually can't see but it's the most common place to snap on the rear and not noticeable to many until its checked at a garage or on an not broken springs are a common failure as people don't notice

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Out of interest, what method did you use to change the rear springs? still got all fingers intact? lol

I used two spring compressor then un did the rear shock absorber and lowed each side with a jack this was on Vauxhall zafira

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dezwez said:

I used two spring compressor then un did the rear shock absorber and lowed each side with a jack this was on Vauxhall zafira

ah right, for some reason I was thinking it was a focus lol 

had to replace both rear springs on my brother's audi TT on different occasions. jacked car up to take weight off suspension and raise wheel. removed wheel. put another jack under rear suspension, jacked that up slightly. removed lower shock bolt, lowered the jack under suspension down. pulled spring out , put new one in, jacked the suspension up slightly to get lower shock bolt back in, wheel back on, removed jacks and all done. I could not believe how easy it was. don't know if focus has more complications.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, isetta said:

had to replace both rear springs on my brother's audi TT on different occasions. jacked car up to take weight off suspension and raise wheel. removed wheel. put another jack under rear suspension, jacked that up slightly. removed lower shock bolt, lowered the jack under suspension down. pulled spring out , put new one in, jacked the suspension up slightly to get lower shock bolt back in, wheel back on, removed jacks and all done. I could not believe how easy it was. don't know if focus has more complications.

I was thinking this, it's that simple on the Fiesta as well, what's difficult about rears on the Focus @stef123 ?

34 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I was thinking this, it's that simple on the Fiesta as well, what's difficult about rears on the Focus @stef123 ?

Getting the suspension apart is the problematic bit, the bolts seize into the sleeve part of the bushes. 

the setup is quite different to that of the fiesta and many other cars. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stef123 said:

Getting the suspension apart is the problematic bit, the bolts seize into the sleeve part of the bushes. 

the setup is quite different to that of the fiesta and many other cars. 

Ah I see, hopefully mine won't break then, sounds like something I'd muck up. :laugh: 

Could be worse, could be a Vauxhall. Was out fitting discs and pads today, found this! That both front springs.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't know why they can't make springs stronger tbh...The roads have been full of potholes and speed bumps for years, not like it's anything new!  

The worst ones are the ones that are fatter in the middle, they snap the bottom coil and then the whole spring drops past the lower plate into the tyre and gouges it.  :ohmy:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't know why they can't make springs stronger tbh...The roads have been full of potholes and speed bumps for years, not like it's anything new!  

The worst ones are the ones that are fatter in the middle, they snap the bottom coil and then the whole spring drops past the lower plate into the tyre and gouges it.  :ohmy:

Pigtail springs. Like this one, my mk3 mondeo. Changed quite a few of these on other cars, I got lucky though it only fell when I took the weight off that side!

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Yeah it's fairly common tbh, I've seen it myself 3 times now, Vectra C it scraped the tyre but didn't drive far enough to go through fortunately, Mk6 Fiesta it went straight through and popped the tyre but fortunately just into a carpark...the speed hump to the carpark finished it off lol.  And Mk7 Fiesta when I was on work experience back when they were fairly new, that one bust the tyre and caused a slide which ended up wrecking the rim and front bumper as well.  I just don't really see the point of them, what was wrong with the straight springs! 

ZTq6L9p.jpg

BrokenVectra083_zpsa9d4b021.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stef123 said:

Could be worse, could be a Vauxhall. Was out fitting discs and pads today, found this! That both front springs.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Has you drive shaft gateor spilt there a lot of grease on the outside

I have done so many over the years that i fitted one of these in my shed

post-4751-0-46936900-1436620649.jpg

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, dezwez said:

Has you drive shaft gateor spilt there a lot of grease on the outside

It has indeed, I noticed before taking the wheel off that everything looked a bit manky. 

Parts ordered for it, just need to fit it in somewhere now lol. It's only a corsa tho much so no hurry lol. 

15 minutes ago, dezwez said:

I have done so many over the years that i fitted one of these in my shed

post-4751-0-46936900-1436620649.jpg

Those work well. I use a portable hydraulic unit for doing mobile work. Fitted who knows how many hundred springs with it lol. So many I had to service the hydraulic ram not so long ago. 

makes it a bit easy to do as its the outside one :smile: