Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox Gearing - Too long?

goldtail77

Ok so I've had my Mk3.5 2.0 TDCi for 3 months now and done 3.5k in it.

Is it just me or they over geared through the whole range. At anything under 30 I must use 3rd, 30-32 4th is too highly geared depending on the road gradient. Then @40 I dare not try 5th, it certainly isn't a labour of love. She may still loosen up as it's only 6.5k on the car but I doubt it.

The 1.6TDCi Mk3 I had was far more flexible in the gearing. In saying that my 1.8 Delphi Mk1 hated 4th @ 30 until the DMF went and was replaced, bizarrely enough.

How does everyone else find their gearing?

what speed is it doing at 1500 rpm in top gear?

I thinks its best to match the gear to the speed, that seems to work well.  So at 30mph been in 3rd, 40mph on 4th...... strange gearing but works in the land barge Mondeo, no idea why its geared this way.

23 hours ago, isetta said:

I'll need to check.

20 hours ago, Gaskell71 said:

I thinks its best to match the gear to the speed, that seems to work well.  So at 30mph been in 3rd, 40mph on 4th...... strange gearing but works in the land barge Mondeo, no idea why its geared this way.

Oh i do match the gear to the speed. I'm just so used to 4th at 30 in various cars. 5th @50 etc. Especially as this is torquier than the 1.6, I'd expect the engine to suit lazier gears. Unless of course it is a Ford DMF safety device, forcing higher engine speeds.

• Like 1

I've got a mk3.5 red edition petrol and I have the exact same problem with the gearing. They use longer gearing to help with fuel economy but to me it makes it worse. I've got to constantly work the engine hard to match the long gear ratios which is killing any eco gains ford think it makes. I had a Fiesta ST before the focus and that was brilliant gear ratios where just right for the car. So in the Fiesta ST 180 I was getting 36 to 40 mpg easy now in the focus I struggle to get 32 mpg from the 1.5 182 engine. Spoke to the dealer and they just fobed me off say as it's only got 2600 on the clock it's not bedded in and I won't see an improvement until at least 5000 if it improves at all. 

On 29/12/2016 at 2:10 PM, isetta said:

@1500 RPM, the car is travelling at 60 in 6th

The general rule seems to be 1500RPM in any gear is Gear No. * 10MPH

Don't get me wrong at speed with little need speed up or down, the engine is a nice slow quiet speed. It just seems Ford 'manipulated' the economy figures with un-reaslitic gearing. Though even then after a 450mile run over 400 of that at 70-72 I've managed 51.4mpg on the trip computer at 6,500miles on the clock. I expected 370NM of Torque to be more flexible.

that is pretty high gearing.

my 2007 fiesta 1.6tdci was 40mph at 1500rpm in top (5th) and my 2015 fiesta 1.5tdci econetic is 50mph at 1500rpm in top (5th).

I know you have a bigger more powerful engine but you also have a bigger heavier car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club