Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deep impact blue discolouration

StrathDan

Hey everyone, been lurking around since I picked up my 64 plate deep impact blue Fiesta Zetec S back in August. Loving the car so far however I've noticed a difference in the paintwork on different sides of the car.

On the driver's side, I've noticed that the side skirt is a deeper blue than the driver door panel and front right panel. In the sun there's an greenish tint to it. I tried to take a photo of it but it's a bit gloomy today so it doesn't show well, and it's recently washed so reflections make it hard to see in the photo.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what's causing this? Worried that it will worsen over time.

The car is still under warranty but can't find any details on whether there's a paintwork warranty from ford? For info I got the car from TC Harrison.

IMG_20161231_122420.jpg

Its very common to have a slight variation on the plastics. My wifes silver Punto had the same noticable issue. I dont know if its to do with the substrate or the fact that the plastics are sprayed separately and the colour match of the paint is fractionally off. Its like if you have a single panel resprayed, if they dont blow it in to the next panel you will see the difference in certain light conditions.

Have you had the car from new? Just wondered if its had any additional paintwork after its left the factory.

• Like 1

As above. There will always be a slight colour difference because of the different materials being painted.

• Like 1

i have not noticed a colour difference between painted metal and painted plastic before except:

a) if part has been resprayed/repaired

b) there has been a lot of weathering due to age.

not all cars have side skirts on but virtually all cars have plastic bumpers and they don't look like they are a different colour than the metal wings etc.

and on this car it is only on one plastic part. I think the likelihood is there has been a repair at some point (bear in mind it could even have been repaired before the first owner got it eg if damaged in transit)

35 minutes ago, isetta said:

i have not noticed a colour difference between painted metal and painted plastic before except:

a) if part has been resprayed/repaired

b) there has been a lot of weathering due to age.

not all cars have side skirts on but virtually all cars have plastic bumpers and they don't look like they are a different colour than the metal wings etc.

and on this car it is only on one plastic part. I think the likelihood is there has been a repair at some point (bear in mind it could even have been repaired before the first owner got it eg if damaged in transit)

So just because you havent noticed it before then it doesnt happen? It does unfortunately. I did ask if it had paintwork as that is another possibility.

I was a car salesman at Fords and seen the bumper shades often but more noticable on certain colours.

Here is a picture of my wifes old Punto that i mentioned, it never had any paintwork and the bumpers appeared off shade from certain angles.

Certain paint finishes can also appear different if the paint was laid on at a different angle. This could happen to the bumpers if they are sprayed off the car lying flat as opposed to the car being in the upright position.

20161009_143211.jpg

• Like 2

quite normal, certain colours do give more of an apperance of different shades. been asked the same question 100's of times by ford owners.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone! I can understand a difference between spraying different materials. Still concerned about the green tint, I'll see if I can get a better photo today!

On 31/12/2016 at 1:08 PM, WES180 said:

Have you had the car from new? Just wondered if its had any additional paintwork after its left the factory.

I'm technically 3rd owner (pre-reg & 1 before me), so I'm not aware of any additional paintwork.

I had a prang in my 1st mondeo. Needed front bumper bonnet and a headlight. Repair place was insurance option and close to me. I found out that the only pieces the painters painted was the bonnet. The bumper came colour sprayed from the factory. Once car was on the road no one could tell car had a prang.

its normal for different parts it noticed when i got my sideskirts with my mate saying "thats the wrong shade" so i started a little investigation on FB and got people to all send me side shots of their cars and everyone was a slight shade out on the sideskirt and bodywork and a tiny shade out with front and rear bumper to metal work but i think its the angle of the sideskirts that kind of shows it off more but hey ho its just one of they things ye have to get used to 

ps my car got resprayed on sideskirts and didnt change even added more clearcoat do deepen it and did nothing 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club