Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2.5 fuel pump help!!!!!!!

smithy85

Hey guys I'm new to this site but not new to fords I've had 8 lol. Right I'll get to the point I started my car this morning and it just turned its self off I then tried to restart it took about 10 attempts but got it started and then went for a drive for about an hour and then turned my car off for couple of hours went to start it and drive it home and it didn't it again it wouldn't start and this time no matter how many times it just wouldn't start it goes to start but spmething stopping it I had aa come out and gave me two codes P0089 and P0087 so he checked everything all the fuel pump and senders and sensors and couldn't find a problem said it must be the fuel pump in the fuel tank. So I did some asking around and I've been told they don't have a fuel pump in the the fuel tank. So if anyone has every had this problem please help my car is a Ford Focus 1.8tdci style 57 plate thanks again 

• Like 1

The only similar problems I've had, mostly on mondeos though have been down to a partially clogged fuel filter. Can't remember what codes they have thrown. 

Ok thanks for the help but I've changed all filters on car just wanted to know if there was a fuel pump in the tank really 

what engine do you have? 1.6 tdci doesn't and I'm almost positive the 1.8 tdci doesn't either

On 1/1/2017 at 8:04 PM, smithy85 said:

Hey guys I'm new to this site but not new to fords I've had 8 lol. Right I'll get to the point I started my car this morning and it just turned its self off I then tried to restart it took about 10 attempts but got it started and then went for a drive for about an hour and then turned my car off for couple of hours went to start it and drive it home and it didn't it again it wouldn't start and this time no matter how many times it just wouldn't start it goes to start but spmething stopping it I had aa come out and gave me two codes P0089 and P0087 so he checked everything all the fuel pump and senders and sensors and couldn't find a problem said it must be the fuel pump in the fuel tank. So I did some asking around and I've been told they don't have a fuel pump in the the fuel tank. So if anyone has every had this problem please help my car is a Ford Focus 1.8tdci style 57 plate thanks again 

I have exactly the same problem it seems with my focus 1.6 tdci sport 2006 plate, fecking cars enough to drive a man to drink!!!

Mine starts after about 5-10 attempts some times more, 5 if im lucky

13 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

what engine do you have? 1.6 tdci doesn't and I'm almost positive the 1.8 tdci doesn't either

Dont they have some sort of pump on the back of the engine at least Dee.....any other ideas what it could be at all?

The red cog warning light flashes up on mine when it eventually starts for about 10 mins ish then goes out when its warmed up but when engine goes stone cold again its a bugger to start

Is the coolant temperature dial and outside temperature sensor working properly ? I'm wondering if a faulty temperature sensor is causing the engine to put too much fuel in when it's warm...

Alternatively, glow plugs and everything checked?

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, jamescornwall said:

Dont they have some sort of pump on the back of the engine at least Dee.....any other ideas what it could be at all?

The red cog warning light flashes up on mine when it eventually starts for about 10 mins ish then goes out when its warmed up but when engine goes stone cold again its a bugger to start

nope, the fuel pump has two stages, one part sucks up the fuel, the other is for the fuel rail.  The problem is that if there is air in the line down to the fuel pump, you will just be spinning that pump up without sucking fuel, even if there is a small amount of fuel in it, it still wont be able to create enough suction to pull fuel out of the filter, let alone from the tank.

personally I find the best way is to disconnect the line going down to the pump and keep it upright with some clamps, swap the filter out then fill the filter, take a small syringe and fill it with diesel, then fill up the upended fuel line going to the pump, once its full to the brim get everything out the way and with superman speeds connect up the line to the filter, you will drop some fuel but try and keep it to a minimum, with the line mostly full the pump can suck fuel down, the small pocket of air will move with it but after that the fuel will also get sucked down from the filter, it should all be good after that..

for the price of our fuel filters id have liked to have seen a priming pump attached to it but alas we just need to deal with it as best as we can. 

as to the actual fault, low pressure warnings and a regulator fault, there is a regulator on the fuel pump I believe, if that is screwed then your in for an expensive repair bill, those fuel pumps cost a fortune, not sure if the regulator can be replaced on its own.

I had a pressure sensor fail on me which caused me some isues, swapped it out and all was good in the world but the other areas it could have been where the fuel pump and or regulator, had it been those id have not been happy!

How did you test the pump / regulator / sensor?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club