Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2012 charging battery

voodoochile73

Hi, I'm trying to help my father with his focus. It's a 2012 model and he feels the battery needs a charge as its frosty mornings and he's not using the car too much at the moment. The green battery light isn't shoing either.

He said the manual doesnt fully cover removing and charging the battery so he's unsure if its just a case taking out as normal and charging (negative lead off first etc) but he's uncertain if its possible with newer batteries. It's a Finis 1693470 12v 100RC start stop battery. The manual mentions not connecting the negative cable to flat battery also but its not totally clear to understand in what circumstance it refers to, maybe he has to take to to Ford to replace?

We'd appreciate some help with this, thanks.

After reading my Haynes Manual it depends on the battery as it appears you have the maintenance free battery and it mentions it needs a constant supply and can take 3 days to fully charge the green light will show once it's fully charged.

Yes it's just a case of taking it out and charging it like a normal battery.

you need a smart charger to charge up a enhanced flooded battery. also if you disconnect the battery the battery monitoring sensor wont know state if charge, and will take sone time to relearn, stopping the stop/start from working . just grab his keys and take it for a spin during the day without too much electrical load on letting the alternator do the job for you.

• Like 2

My 2012 Focus is getting used once or twice a week maximum for a couple of miles at the minute and it still fires up fine. Even after two weeks not moving it still started up no problem. I would tell him not to worry unless it displays signs that the battery is dying such as turning over slower than usual. As Ian says though a good run out will soon charge it back up. 

• Like 1

No need to remove the battery from the car. Can charge it in situ. 

Negative lead from charger to battery earthing point on the car body work, positive lead to the positive side of the battery. Leave it overnight to charge or at least 12 hours to give it a good charge. 

Just remember earth lead ON last and OFF first. Connect earth to the body charging point and red to the battery live terminal. It does actually say all that in the manual

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club