Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3.5 Cruise Control Fitting

JamieSMcC

im sure you can, on my mk3 you certainly can via ids, cant imagine the mk3.5 can be any different. will investigate . would have thought fdrs bcm config should do it.

Something has to be different and I can't work out what it is! The SASM is the same across all models except one with lane keeping, the steering wheel has the correct loom and switches.

does anyone have a list of their CC from a mk3.5 with cruise I can look at in case there is something else that has to be turned on? Can't see anything on there that logically would but you never know!!

Cheeky question, can anyone provide their config profile of a April 16 onwards focus titanium or alternatively, provide me their reg or vin so I can look it up? Want to see if there is any settings in the config that may be related. 

Theres one setting (#214) without about 9 different settings all different types of IPC. Config. I'm thinking there is a possibility this could have an effect but not sure!!

16 hours ago, Harni said:

Theres one setting (#214) without about 9 different settings all different types of IPC. Config. I'm thinking there is a possibility this could have an effect but not sure!!

Setting #214 has nothing to do with the Cruise Control system. This setting is for the audio system control panel. Every single type of audio system that is used in the Focus MK3/MK3.5 has its own configuration setting.

Thanks all

havjng looked at the CC for that reg, there's not much difference I can see

im determined to do this now purely because it's gotten me interested in understanding how it works. 

Have spoken to someone on another forum and have had this reponse

"Another idea is that we may assume that in your car the Cruise Control option is stored NOT in Central Configuration, but in an individual module configuration (BCM Module configuration, As-Built format). The only problem is how to find out the decoding. The only idea we have is to compare ABD of car with and without Cruise, to understand which bytes may respond for it."

now thats all well and good but going well above my current skill set of working out which bits are which. Would anyone have any idea or know where I may find this information if it is even available!?

Find yourself a Focus MK3.5 on the internet with exactly the same engine/transmission, trim level and options as your car but with Cruise Control. The production date of both cars must be about the same (preferably within a Month). 

Using the registration numbers or VIN numbers of both vehicles it is possible to determine the part and software numbers of most modules (I can do this if you like). In this case the part numbers/software numbers of the BCM, SASM and PCM are important. If these part numbers and software numbers are identical (or at least interchangeable) the problem will be caused by a configuration issue. If part numbers are different the problem can also be caused by non compatible hardware.

If the problem turns out to be caused by a configuration issue the easiest way to solve it is by changing the VIN number of your car to the VIN number of the car with Cruise Control. Next by using the Ford IDS /FRDS diagnostic system the particular modules can be reprogrammed using AS-BUILT data. The system uses the programmed VIN number to  search and download the AS-BUILT data from the Ford database. By changing the programmed VIN number the diagnostic system will download the AS-BUILT data of that particular VIN number. All configuration settings will be reprogrammed using the AS-BUILT data (which in this case is from a car with Cruise Control). I suspect that the problem is caused by the BCM so I would start with reprogramming the BCM. If reprogramming the BCM does not solve the problem you have to reprogram the PCM. 

After the affected modules are reprogrammed the programmed VIN number can be changed back to the original VIN number.

This method should work. I succesfully used this method a few times before to activate some other options and to convert a USA instrument cluster into a European instrument cluster.

Many thanks for your help!

the issue is they did not do a focus in the UK the same spec as mine with cruise so that would be very difficult to find. I don't know why the took it away as an option to order on the lower spec models!

IMG_0646.thumb.JPG.29a6cb98abffae4a61830082684497d3.JPG

so ive got my ABD from the BCM. Now the question is how do I decode this? Is there a guide anywhere or any clues? Anything I can read up on to try and understand this?

AS-BUILT data is a hexadecimal code. All settings of the particular module are embedded within this code. Without knowing the excact type of encryption and the exact position and meaning of each parameter it is virtually impossible to decode the AS-BUILT data. 

Next to this the AS-BUILT data is also different for most Ford models. Even if you manage to decode the AS-BUILT data for a particular Ford model it will not be suitible for other Ford models.

Be aware that experimenting with AS-BUILT data is not without risk. This can even result in a bricked module or a non starting car. You should only do this when you know exactly what you are doing.

Thanks for that. I've seen some of the American forums have started decoding various as built hexidecimal files but being a different country and different cars, even if I found their info on turning the cruise on I wouldn't want to try it. 

I really want to work work out why It can't be done on later mk3,5s. There has to be some sort of difference. 

Be aware that USA developed Ford models are fully AS-BUILT configured. USA developed Ford models and their derivatives (like for example the Mondeo MK5 and S-max MK2) do not have a Central Car Configuration.

Compared to the USA developed Ford models our European developed Ford models only have a small number of AS-BUILT data. Most functions/options are simply configured by the Central Car Configuration and not by the AS-BUILT data.

What trim/option level is your car? Based on the trim/option level it should be no problem to find a same spec vehicle with Cruise Control. This does not necessarily have to be a UK vehicle. Any European vehicle should be fine as long as the trim/option level are a perfect match.

Ah that does make sense with what I have been reading!

its a April 16 built zetec with Nav

I compared the AS-BUILT data of several Focus MK3.5 models about the same age as your car with the same trim level. I compared both with and without Cruise Control vehicles.

The following AS-BUILT data lines are different between cars I compared with and without Cruise Control. You can try to read these lines from your car and if the lines are different you can try to change them to these values:

BCM

726-01-01  compare and try to change to  5100  81C4  A4

726-01-02  compare and try to change to  090a  0814  14

726-01-03  compare and try to change to  413C  4301  03

726-01-04  compare and try to change to  0102  0101  3C

726-01-05  compare and try to change to  1000 000B  0B

726-01-06  compare and try to change to  1240  0400  00

IPC

720-06-01 compare and try to change to  2400  8803

Always make a backup of the original settings and only change 1 line at a time. If it does not work change it back to the original value before trying the next line. If none of the AS-BUILT data lines work you can try to change them all at the same time as a last attempt. Be aware that this is completely at your own risk (however I do not expect any problems).

That's amazing thank you very much! 

Out of interest, in your opinion what sort of risk can I expect from this? 

I will try it one evening during the week and report back. 

I personally do not expect much risk.

However the BCM is part of the PATS immobilizer system. In worst case scenario (and not being careful) it will be possible to lose PATS settings an immobilize the car. However I do not expect this to happen at all but it must be taken into consideration. 

You seem pretty clued up jw1982.

Thanks JW, I'll give this a go one evening this week

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but any updates? I am interested to see if this works!

Ta 

I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to try this yet however since my last post, I've had someone from the US get in touch who has done it succsessfully on a 2017 focus Using Forscan and downloading the correct SBL

I for one would certainly be interested to find out how the person in the USA managed to activate cruise... although the US built cars are different as explained above.

Looking forward to seeing if you manage to work it out Harni! :smile:

Well I've tried this again and it didn't work but I do have a question. I don't understand quite what the SBL does. Am I correct in thinking if it's loaded an old SBL to the car then that could be part of the issue? I'm tempted to load the very original file which was taken day one, delete all the SBL files from the config file in Forscan except the one which matches what is on my BCM and then try again. 

Does anyone see any issue with this?

Thanks but I've already been following and contributing to that thread :)

im flat out at the moment so just need to find some time to have a play and see what I can work out. 

Folks,

I have a UK spec Focus mk3.5 (April 2016) 1.0 ecoboost.  I bought a second hand steering wheel with the cc buttons and then followed the fitting cruise to a mk3 instructions.

Only thing I didn't do was to update the IPC (as the Focccus 0.8.6 software didn't allow it and info above suggests that it's desirable but not necessary).  All worked fine and was very straight forward.  The pictures of the airbag release mechanism above even made that bit simple.

All the cruise and limiter buttons work and dash lights too.

So, it can definitely be done, but perhaps there's a nuance with the model types or the steering wheels?  I was careful to buy a steering wheel from a 1.0 ecoboost just on the off-chance.

Happy to supply further info if it would help.  Thanks to previous posters for all their info and sage advice.

Al.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club