Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car wouldn't start now blowers won't work at all!

mastersmithson

Hi all, I have a ford focus 2001. Tried to turn it on this morning (very icey and cold out) and the car wouldn't start. A couple more turns with the key and it worked.

However the blowers never. They worked last night and I have recently changed the resistor (couple months back).

Any thoughts?  Thanks ks

• Like 1

I would try a battery and alternator tester. Also try pushing the clutch down when you start car as is recommended in Ford manual.

• Like 1

Would that affect just the blower? The car has been started now and I drove to work fine. Is there any way I can test that by myself?

7 minutes ago, v530anh said:

I would try a battery and alternator tester. Also try pushing the clutch down when you start car as is recommended in Ford manual.

• Like 1

Check the fuse for the heaters. The resistor usually only affects lower speeds and allows full power through when you switch to fully on. You will already know that though if youve changed it. If the fuse is good check the wiring plug on the resistor incase its come loose causing a broken circuit.

Go on, i have to ask, how can depressing the clutch affect the heaters?:wacko:

As a side note it was about -8c last night and I do get ice inside my car 

• Like 1

If you get ice inside your car, is it possiible that the blower froze up and blew a fuse when you turned it on?

• Like 1

To be fair that's what I was thinking. Won't be be able to check till tonight after work but I'll have a look!

• Like 1

I blew 2 resistors b4 I realised the problem was the blower which needed lubricant so there was less resistance when spinning!

i would check the fuse as well tho 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrRedman said:

I blew 2 resistors b4 I realised the problem was the blower which needed lubricant so there was less resistance when spinning!

i would check the fuse as well tho 

Not even the fastest setting is working

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mastersmithson said:

Would that affect just the blower? The car has been started now and I drove to work fine. Is there any way I can test that by myself?

You can test the battery & alternator by getting a cheap multimeter - you can pick them up for about £8.

• Like 1

Picked up the multimeter. For £8 actually haha.

However I didn't use it. Looked at the auxiliary fuse box and the fuse was blown. Changed it and it works

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mastersmithson said:

However I didn't use it. Looked at the auxiliary fuse box and the fuse was blown. Changed it and it works

Im sure i said to check the fuse in my first post! Glad it was an easy fix for you. :smile:

but you still need to check the fan motor spins freely and is not stiff. otherwise you will have a problem again.  if the fuse has blown and on another occasion the resistor pack blew (most likely the thermal fuse within it) it does suggest there is a problem tt you have not got t the bottom of.

My 2001 focus had a stiff motor which I found after two resistor packs (thermal fuses within them) blowing. there was water in the bottom of the fan motor causing bearing to seize.

(and I did also find where the water was coming from to stop that happening again)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mastersmithson said:

Keep it, it'll come in handy!  Glad you sorted it

• Like 2

I would keep the multimeter as you can check fuses also with it.

8 hours ago, v530anh said:

I would keep the multimeter as you can check fuses also with it.

I had no idea you could use it to check fuses......another useful thing to know!

• Like 1

you use the resistance setting.  zero means no resistance - ie. the fuse is good 

• Like 1

Update: it seems as if the resistor has gone again as only the the 4 blower setting is functional

As I said you will keep blowing it you need to get the motor out it's easy glove box out then a couple of things to undo as I recall 

and as I said before:

"but you still need to check the fan motor spins freely and is not stiff. otherwise you will have a problem again.  if the fuse has blown and on another occasion the resistor pack blew (most likely the thermal fuse within it) it does suggest there is a problem tt you have not got t the bottom of.My 2001 focus had a stiff motor which I found after two resistor packs (thermal fuses within them) blowing. there was water in the bottom of the fan motor causing bearing to seize.(and I did also find where the water was coming from to stop that happening again)"

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club