Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fiesta 2004 quickclear windscreen half not working

isetta

I need to look at a friends fiesta 2004 with quickclear windscreen half not working (only passenger side works).

before I go round to see them can anyone tell me if the connectors are on the windscreen pillars inside the car, or at the bottom of screen under the bonnet - or somewhere else.  please let me know, thanks

i think your screen has two fuse one for each side give them a look might help:smile:

Hi my 2007 mk6.5 had two fuses (one for each side ). the car in question is a mk6 and googling it suggests some mk6 fiestas had a different fuse box with one fuse but I can't establish when the changeover was (if it was at same time as introduction of mk6.5).  I can have a look when I am at the car, just trying to do some homework on it as when I have a look at the car it will probably be dark and I won't have internet access. 

Main thing I want to know in advance is where the connectors are so that if fuses ok I know where to start with the voltmeter

Bump

Please please please - someone must know from experience where the quickclear windscreen connectors are on a 2004 fiesta.

I know I could prise off the interior trim on the windscreen pillars but in my experience these can be difficult to get off without breaking fixing pegs so I don't really want to do that if the connectors are not there.

Help please

Think I read on here the connectors are under the scuttle. One of which gets hit by the windscreen wiper mechanism and so develops a fault. 

Cant help any more than that.

As above said but could be damaged wires or even exposed side which can break through time of old age just small wires and lots of driving sometimes 

got a PM as below. Thanks for the info.  Hope I can get the plastic trim off without too much damage. At least it's easier to get to than under the scuttle.

The connectors you are looking for are in the A pillars (your first thought) One power connector each side. Earth is bolted to A pillar

Drivers side fuse is F43

• 2 weeks later...

been a bit slow doing this.

Fuses for both sides of windscreen are OK.

If I have the engine running and quickclear windscreen switched on and remove the fuses and put them back in slowly I get a nice flash on the left fuse terminals but only a very small flash on right fuse terminals. So the fact that there is a small flash shows there is continuity but not a huge current draw.

I took the trim off right hand windscreen pillar. on the top terminal (negative earth) I took bolt out, cleaned up, filed paint of pillar to ensure good connection. bottom connector looks fine. bottom terminal has just over 14 volts reading (bear in mind engine running so higher than 12.6v). removed bottom terminal -circuit tester shows there is continuity from top to bottom terminal. if I connect bottom live terminal and then touch the top negative earth terminal on pillar I only get a small spark (like on the fuse) so there is current draw but very little - at the sort of ampage these windwcreens use there should be a large spark (like on the left hand fuse).

Has anyone had any experience of this?

So what I do not know is

a) where the terminals are permanently fixed to the ribbons is there a poor connection there causing partial connection?

b) where the ribbons fix to screen (where you can not see) could there be a bad connection there causing partial connection?

c) is there a poor connection somewhere between the relay and power wires connectors leading up to the screen?

has anyone had the same problem and solved it by finding exactly where their problem is ?

I suppose I should have run a big wire from battery positive terminal to the bottom connector on the screen, but at the time I did not have any suitable wire with me (it is a friend's car I was looking at for them)

Hello, I'll keep this question simple so you don't have to read so much .

If I measure resistance between the positive and negative terminal on a quickclear windscreen (one half of the windscreen to be more precise) what Ohms should the reading be?

9 hours ago, isetta said:

If I measure resistance between the positive and negative terminal on a quickclear windscreen (one half of the windscreen to be more precise) what Ohms should the reading be?

On the Focus, the Fuses are 40A each side. I expect the Fiesta will not be hugely different. 24A at 12v would be 0.5 ohms, and it will be impossible to read this accurately on a multimeter: The connection & test lead wire resistance will be greater then this. But if one side gives an appreciable reading (ie more than an ohm or so), then it must be dodgy.

Measuring the current would be more accurate, but will be over the max range of most meters. The "flash" test is interesting, and probably as accurate as any you can do with limited equipment! Be careful not to burn yourself though, a lot of heat can be generated very quickly at these high currents.

With some ingenuity & effort, it would be possible to rig up a resistor or light bulb that delivers a measurable and fixed (under 10A) current to the screen element, then to measure the voltage over the element, taking care to avoid voltage drops in any test connections, to quite accurately measure the resistance. But this seems a bit OTT for this problem really, unless it is very marginal.

thanks for the response. The car belongs to a lady I know and I think she is resigned to it being un-fixable without replacing the screen, which she won't do so she will just live with it not working (don't say accidentally on purpose break the screen and claim on insurance).

I don't like to be beaten when I am trying to fix these things. But I am thinking this is most likely a screen problem (or the ribbon strips coming from the screen)

• Like 1