• Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience

Orbixx

2014 Fiesta - Gear selection, 1st and 2nd will not engage

So a few weeks ago, I was occasionally having a problem getting my Fiesta into 1st gear. Bringing it back to neutral and up again, or disengaging and re-engaging the clutch would inevitably fix it.

Annoyed with occasionally not being able to move at will, I took it to the dealer and they said they have to see the problem before they can look at it under warranty.

Cue yesterday, the frequency of the problem has increased drastically and 2nd gear is also having the same problem now.

It was easily reproduceable for the dealership this time and they've accepted the car in (and now I have a ***** KA courtesy car because that's all they had!)

Characteristics of the problem:

• Never seems to happen from a cold start or when the engine is off
  • Appears to happen when coming down from speed in higher gears
  • Repeated clutch engagement and disengagement, or at the very least, simply bringing it out and attempting to get it back into gear multiple times eventually seems to work
  • While holding the gearstick towards the intended gear that is not engaging, lifting the clutch pedal slowly lets it fall into gear
  • If you push the gearstick hard enough to stay in position close to the selected gear, but not actually engaged with the engine, then lift the clutch pedal slowly, the gearstick becomes unstuck and falls back into neutral

Does anybody recognise what could be the cause based on this?

I agree with DieselPig.  I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it was the slave cylinder.

lucky its under warranty. slave cylinder is not an easy job as it is inside the bellhousing. in 'the old days' slave cylinders were easy as they were on the outside of the bellhousing pushing a lever that went inside.

see to me it could be slave but for it to only happen to first and second sounds like the synchro to me (first and second use same synchro) ps ive had this issue before and everything your saying fills the blanks also

should be fine under warranty 

Did this ever get resolved? 

I have a 2014 1.0L that will not go into second gear when downshifting. Fine when upshifting.

I have done the usual lubrication of cable/pushrods. selector block removed and cleaned lubed and ensured easy movement, checked gear selector at gear shift end.

Bled the slave cylinder, fluid was very watery and dirty with debris which was surprising.

Sadly looks likely the gearbox will have to come out. 

Sounds like the synchro is shot. Try double clutching with a pause in neutral, and downshifting at rpms compatible with the ratios of the gears. I once broke a mechanical linkage clutch but was able to drive it without the clutch by managing shifting at just the right rpms. 

Yes matching revs and double clutching works sometimes but not all. Last try will be a fluid change but already looking to find a low mileage box :(