Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 1.8 TDCi comment

richard3009

Just purchased a 2006 1.8 TDCi Sport, bought this as a cheap get me to work unit, christ they are a crude engine it does the job and not too bad on fuel but if I had one of these from new I wouldn't be a happy bunny. Very tractor like and not refined at all.

I believe and others will probably correct me here.

The 1.8 is Fords own engine where as the 1.6 and 2.0 is not. The 1.8 is quite an old engine which has had parts bolted on to bring it up to date. I believe it was used as far back as the 80's.

I have the same engine as you and it sounds like a transit.

• Like 1

Yep, only 100% Ford diesel engine in the mk2 range.
I had a mk2 sport and it was smooth enough for me, it's quite tuneable too plus no dreaded DPF.
Blank off the EGR, get a terraclean service done and it will serve you well.
Only weaknesses are a tendency to split intercooler hoses and a dislike of dirty fuel filters.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

It certainly pulls well, 62,000 with full dealership history, clutch feels spot on with no noises from DMF,  do a 60 mile round trip 90% motorway and it cruises lovely at 65mph. No DPF is a real bonus I must say. Ordered egr blanking plate will have shot of that nonsense.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard3009 said:

No DPF is a real bonus

Dead right there!!!

The noise level from the engine does vary a bit, usually a bit better after a good run, I think, on mine. But I can easily put up with a little diesel knock for a powerful, willing engine that has no dreaded DPF.

The changes are a bit more than simple add-ons. The Mk2 has the Siemens PCM & fuel system, with fast acting piezo injectors (at least according to the Ford workshop manual). The multi-pulse injections are probably what enabled it to pass the Euro 4 emissions tests without the DPF.

• Like 1

it certainly eats up a sprint  to 70mph and doesnt seem to be working hard to do it either, all in all a tidy well looked after bus for £1500, i do enjoy a motor that hasnt robbed my bank and smile at the boys in the monthly finance monsters

• Like 2

This Focus is really growing on me now Im used to it, quite a nippy engine this tdci a long smooth power band that drags the car up to 80+ with ease, 1st and 2nd gear are a short and you need to be through into top gear quite quickly but once through the gears it ***** flys.

• Like 1

I've got the same engine in my MK2 saloon and my local garage described the engine as 'bulletproof'.  The cast iron block makes it a heaver than some similar sized engines but on the upside the block is less likely to be weakened due to high temps than if it was made of relatively 'soft' aluminium.

Mines on an 05 plate and just done 130K, still on the original clutch, DMF, turbo and injectors.  As with any car, just make sure you service it every year (don't forget to include the fuel filter as Ford diesels really do NOT like a clogged/really dirty filter).

Enjoy :cool:

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club