Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to upgrade PC? Intel Kaby Lake & AMD Ryzen CPU's Released

RAIDER32

Ok rant time,

With the release of the new Intel Kaby Lake Processors (and now AMD Ryzen) I've been suffering with severe GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

I'm still on a Core i5 750 (Gen 1) Lynnfield 2.66 GHz (overclocked @ 3.2GHz), released back in September 2009 with the launch of Windows 7.

I've not felt lacking in CPU power, but every time I see new chipset & motherboard features it makes my system feel really old,

I'm still on SATA2 Ports so my SSD is running at half speed, so I'll be putting in a super fast M.2 SSD as a system drive for sure.

I always thought I'd go to an i7 from an i5, but most real life situations don't actually use the virtual cores on an i7,

The new AMD Ryzen chips are going with even more cores and threads (8 Cores / 16 Threads) rather than ultimate clock speeds, 

I've never been a fan of AMD and still aren't even after seeing their new stuff, in some tests the Intel 7700K still shines with it's higher clock speeds.

Anyone else looking at upgrading to Kaby Lake or Ryzen?

Current Wishlist:
Asus ROG Strix Z270G M-ATX Motherboard

Intel Core I7 7700K Kaby Lake 4.2GHZ

Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory

Samsung 250GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe

Corsair RM650X Fully Modular PSU

Corsair Carbide 88R Micro ATX Case (Windowed)

LG  34UC88 34" IPS Super-Wide Curved Monitor (3440x1440)

My i5 is a 4th gen, so I wont be upgrading a couple of years I reckon. But it sounds like you are due a good upgrade! 

Personally for your build and usage, I'd up the RAM to 32GB if you do a reasonable amount of Video editing, or complex stuff in Lightroom. 
Nice choice on the M.2 card. I'm toying up swapping my sata SSD out for one of them in the future.

Large storage areas are personal preference. But I always prefer multiple physical drives rather than one big drive. Depending on your backup routine, that motherboard has an inbuilt raid controller. An easy way to ensure no lost of data would be to buy another 6TB HDD (if you want to stay big single drives) and mirror them to each other.  

• Like 1

There was a meaningful performance jump from 1st Gen to 2nd Gen, but since then it has just been mainly tweaking of the same arch, very small IPC gains.

I've got a 4770K, but will probably jump to AMD Ryzen if it is priced well.

Sick of Intel milking the market, be nice to go back to an AMD if it is competitive.

23 hours ago, Arwen said:

Personally for your build and usage, I'd up the RAM to 32GB if you do a reasonable amount of Video editing, or complex stuff in Lightroom. 
Nice choice on the M.2 card. I'm toying up swapping my sata SSD out for one of them in the future.

Large storage areas are personal preference. But I always prefer multiple physical drives rather than one big drive. Depending on your backup routine, that motherboard has an inbuilt raid controller. An easy way to ensure no lost of data would be to buy another 6TB HDD (if you want to stay big single drives) and mirror them to each other.  

I'm currently on 16GB RAM and I think that's enough for now, I only edit small video projects so nothing major, I can always add 2 more sticks down the line.

Yeh having large single HDD's are an issue if you're not backing them up regularly, I have three 2TB Portable drives to backup my stuff.

Ideally I'd love to buy two 10TB drives to RAID as I'm hitting 5TB already and I'm anticipating much bigger Video and Photo files in the near future.

Prices go ape after a certain level though, 5TB to 6TB is only +£4 difference currently (Scan),
But 6TB to 8TB is +£95, and 6TB to 10TB is +£269, that make to sense when you can buy two 6TB's and have £80 change.

23 hours ago, alexp999 said:

There was a meaningful performance jump from 1st Gen to 2nd Gen, but since then it has just been mainly tweaking of the same arch, very small IPC gains.

I've got a 4770K, but will probably jump to AMD Ryzen if it is priced well.

Sick of Intel milking the market, be nice to go back to an AMD if it is competitive.

I've always disliked AMD for some reason, I've always gone Intel & Nvidia.

It's hard to blame Intel for the market when we've hit the point of little return, as I said in my first post I'm not lacking with a 3.2GHz Quad Core,

There just isn't the need for ridiculous speed for Home use, if Intel (or other) added 1GHz to every generation we'd be over 10GHz by now,

Even if anyone could utilize that CPU power, the rest of the system would be it's bottleneck.

It's the lack of innovation from Intel I dislike. Still rolling out the same tech year after year and pricing anything above a quad core at ridiculous pricing.

I have Intel and nvidia at the moment but would love to go fully AMD if they come up trumps this year.

I've always switched between manufacturers, I've no brand loyalty when it comes to PC tech.

• Like 1

I agree they seem to churn out 'New' CPU's alot, which don't seem to vary that much at all if you are within a 5 year cycle.

It's even worse now that Intel have gone from a two stage Tick Tock process to a three stage Process/Architecture/Optimization.

Apparently they are hitting the wall of how small they can go, so I don't see any big changes coming soon from anybody.

I'm sure any enthusiast a decade ago was buying parts and upgrading all the time, I've had to throw away a ton of old cables and hardware.

In the 7+ years I've had this PC, I've changed the drives and the GPU (which died last year).

I've got to a point where I just desire new tech, because there isn't the need to upgrade as there once were.

Am I going to feel a difference of a 3200MB/s M.2 Drive over a 500MB/s SSD? not really.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mine should be arriving tomorrow. :D

16 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Mine should be arriving tomorrow. :D

1700X ?

That would have been the sensible option, lol.

Decided to go all out and got the 1800x instead. Haven't upgraded for a few years, hopefully keep me going a good few more.

• Like 1

Please post a few pics and opinions on here,

I'm still set on a 7700K, but strange things have happened in the last year that nobody expected, maybe I might swap camps lol.

It's my birthday in a few weeks and I'd like to get all my parts by then, I didn't treat myself last year on my 40th so I'd like to this year.

Finger is hovering over the Buy button tonight, I've given Ryzen a look, many times, but I'm not convinced.

It's funny seeing all the fan boys on both sides arguing on YouTube videos,

"AMD's £500 CPU matches or beats Intel's £1000 CPU".......but the £330 i7 7700K sits at the top in nearly all of the games tested.

I'm not a massive gamer, but that kind off performance in low thread optimization shows the higher clock speeds delivering performance.

The greatest benefit of Ryzens 8 Cores to me will be in video processing, but I see CUDA cores in graphics cards being used more these days,

Shaving off a couple of minutes outputting a video isn't more important than having a faster system all the time.

Lots of people are hoping Ryzen will improve over time with Windows, Software & Games being properly optimized,

I'd rather buy it next time when I get what I'm paying for, not waiting for it to improve.

With all of Intel's dull releases lately you forget they have polish the hell out of their stuff, reliability and overclocking are there.

Not had too much time to play with mine yet.

It's not Intel polishing either, but due to Intel dominance everyone has optimised their game for that.

Windows scheduler updates should definitely help as there is a problem with core parking and thread priority at the moment.

In reviews where the tester has properly setup their system (most big sites don't even reinstall the OS) it's really comparable for gaming.

Also up coming game mode is supposed to make windows more like the Xbox where 2 cores get allocated to the OS and the remainder for the game. I.e with ryzen you could have games optimised for 4 cores with 4 cores dedicated to the game.

Clicked Buy (FINALLY!!)

QTY LN DESCRIPTION EX VAT INC VAT
1 53768 120mm Corsair Quiet LED Fan AF120-LED, White, Dual Pack £18.32 £21.98
2 63129 20cm Sharkoon 3-pin Black Braided Splitter Y-Cable (2x Male, 1x Female), Connection of x2 Fans to x1 Board Connector £4.14 £4.97
1 66036 Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 32-bit/64-bit, English, USB Pendrive, 1 License/s, Retail £69.16 £82.99
1 67193 650W Corsair RM650x Series, 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular, SLI/CrossFire, Single Rail, 54A +12V, 1x135mm Fan, ATX PSU £74.16 £88.99
1 68364 Arctic Freezer i32 CPU Cooler, 120mm PWM Fan, 0 - 1350rpm, S1150/1151/1155/1156/2011-3, Aluminium, 150W £24.99 £29.99
1 73079 120mm Corsair ML Series ML120 PRO LED Single Pack Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan, Translucent, White LEDs £16.66 £19.99
1 76376 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, V-NAND, M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.1, 3200MB/s Read, 1500MB/s Write, 330K/300K IOPS £107.49 £128.99
1 76864 Intel Core i7 7700K, S 1151, Kaby Lake, Quad Core, 8 Thread, 4.2GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo, 8MB Cache, 1150MHz GPU, 91W, CPU, Box £274.99 £329.99
1 77242 Asus ROG STRIX Z270G GAMING, Intel Z270, S 1151, DDR4, SATA3, M.2, 2-Way SLi/CrossFire, GbE/WiFi, USB 3.1 A+C, Micro ATX £152.49 £182.99
1 2D 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LED, PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, Whit £99.15 £118.98
1 3A Corsair Carbide Series 88R Windowed MicroATX/MiniITX Computer Chassis, with USB 3.0, Black £34.99 £41.99

34" Ultra-wide Monitor ordered this morning (LG 34UC88).

I think I'd be really disappointed after spending £1000 on a new system and see everything looks exactly the same,

These ultra-wide monitors give a new experience to the PC, basically 2 screens in 1 with a split screen for websites etc,

A much greater experience in games, especially mine which are Arma 3 and Driving games,

And they give a whole new level to editing video with a timeline that is so wide.

Both PC and Monitor are expected tomorrow, gonna try to do a video for the build.

I'm also gonna try out this darker windows theme this afternoon,

it looks really cool and with such a large monitor I won't get blinded by white windows backgrounds.

GTX 970, (Asus STRIX which will match motherboard nicely)

I had to upgrade a year ago from my GTX 560 that died, I really didn't want to spend £275 on a video card at the time,

I thought about a 960 but pushed for 970 in the end, thinking of future and more CUDA cores for video editing.

A GTX 970 can easily push 3440x1440 with Medium to High settings, my games aren't loaded to the hilt with eye candy so should be fine.

Final Build Spec & Photos

I did go with my initial wishlist, with only the LED's colour changing from Red to White, an offer on the White RAM swayed me,

but I I'm loving the Black & White look, especially as it matches my room lol.

2017-03-15%20New%20PC%20020.jpg

Asus ROG Strix Z270G M-ATX Motherboard

Intel Core I7 7700K Kaby Lake 4.2GHZ

Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory

Samsung 250GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe

Arctic Freezer i32 CPU Cooler 

Corsair RM650X Fully Modular PSU

Corsair Carbide 88R M-ATX Case

LG  34UC88 34" IPS Super-Wide Curved Monitor

2017-03-15%20New%20PC%20021.jpg

2017-03-15%20New%20PC%20017.jpg

Some perfect timing buying everything, so glad I waited until I did,

I saved £13 on the White LED RAM and £8 on the case with Scan's Today Only page, Free Postage on everything with the CPU,

I also received a free Asus ROG Sheath XL Mouse Mat worth £33.99 with the Motherboard.

The PC parts were ordered from Scan and the Monitor from Overclockers, but both delivered by DPD and arrived together on the same van.

I was annoyed that having just downloaded what I thought was the latest version of Windows, it decides to download the 'Anniversary Edition' Update,

That thing came out ages ago so I can't understand why you download an early build and then update the whole thing again (it literally installs another full OS).

Not liking the GPU Power Cable (now I have a window), I've seen a custom Single PCIe cable which will look a bit better,

I can understand GPU makers putting the power sockets on the outside edge if the card is over a foot long but mine isn't that bad,

It would have looked some much better with the power socket at the end.

So happy I ordered the Ultra-Wide monitor at the same time as it changes everything, it only took about a minute to get used to it.

The front intake fans are my old Red LED fans but you can't really see them, thought about putting them on top to indicate hot air out,

I'll replace the CPU Cooler fan with another Corsair ML Pro (see back of case) at some point.

The CPU fan is semi-passive so my CPU, GPU & PSU fans are all off when the system is not doing anything too tasking,

But after running Asus's Fan software my CPU cooler is actually running constantly but very slowly so I don't mind,

The PC really quietened down once the software knew what fan did what.

Early on I was looking at an AIO liquid cooler (Corsair H100i), but the cost and the threat of a pump failure put me off.

• Like 1

That's a great looking build Ian:smile:

I keep meaning to build something more modern, but i don't really have a pressing need for it.  everything i do, I can do more than adequately on my rather ancient nine PCs.

@alexp999 Any photos of your build?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GMX said:

That's a great looking build Ian:smile:

I keep meaning to build something more modern, but i don't really have a pressing need for it.  everything i do, I can do more than adequately on my rather ancient nine PCs.

@alexp999 Any photos of your build?

Just in the process of sorting out the LED lighting, got a cable coming tomorrow to hopefully finish it off then will take some pics.

I'm probably going to replace my cooler with an AIO once I know what gfx card I'm getting next. I'd like a 280mm AIO for SnG but might need the space if i get another hybrid style gfx card.

I hate the way my cooler mounts at the moment though, due to its implementation of the AMD mount.