Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noisy Hydraulic Lifters/Tappets Ford Focus Mk2 1.6 Petrol

cdavies2411

Hi All,

I have a very noisy 2006 Mk2 Focus, 1.6 Duratec (LX). The noise is top end and sounds like noisy Hydraulic Lifters/Tappets.

I've done a full engine flush (Wynns), oil Change and oil Filter change and have also added Wynn's lifter treatment - all to no avail.

The noise is a distinct ticking and it rattles like you wouldn't believe when you ignite it, quietening a bit once the oil gets round - magnified 2-3fold when it's cold outside. However i've noticed it has been getting louder recently even when warm (after a good motorway/dual carriageway drive, engine at full temp).

I've done 80,000 miles and it's coming up on 12 years old, but no timing belt change in the history.

I guess my question are:

Has anyone else had this on a similar or the same model and had a fix?

Can a bad timing belt lead to this problem (though I must add it's always been rattly at the top end since I got in in 2015).

Can you continue as usual with noisy lifters?

How expensive will it be for a garage to do this kind of fix?

If this has been asked somewhere else i'm really sorry! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

engine flush wont make any difference to your noise if it is tappet noise , they are solid and not hydralic type. i would get a garage to have a listen .

Thanks, so these engines ARE solid. I couldn't quite get to the bottom of that one. 

Any ideas how much they cost to have fixed? Garage are taking a little while with a quote.

The Timing belt of the 1.4/1.6 Duratec needs to be changed every 8 Years or 160.000 KM/100.000 MLS (whichever comes first). In your case the timing belt should have been replaced back in 2014.

Like Ian already said this type of engine has solid tappets. The valve clearance needs to be checked/adjusted every 160.000 KM/100.000 MLS. If necessary the valve clearance must be adjusted by changing the complete tappets. These tappets are available in dozens of different sizes. The correct tappet size can be determined by measuring the valve clearance and the tappets. To change the tappets the timing belt and camshafts needs to be removed. Because of this the valve clearance should always be checked when changing the timing belt.

The 1.4/1.6 Duratec engine is known to be at bit noisy when cold. However there should be no excessive noise when the engine is warm. If the engine makes excessive noise when warm there is clearly something wrong. 

Thanks both!

I've had a quote from the garage for £780 + VAT for new Tappets and the labour and £718 + VAT for a new engine, needless to say decisions there to be made. Whilst he can't guarantee the milage on a new engine, he also can't guarantee a stopping of the noise...

Nonetheless, timing belt 100% getting change anyway, shall probably start with that and see how we go. Seems like a lot of money to spend on a 10 year old car, i'm getting advice to let it run (with new MOT, service and Timing Belt) and see how long I get out of it before going for a new car, which seems fairly reasonable. At which stage do you start to throw money at a car, never stopping as various elements slowly degrade.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club