Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery light stays on

greatuncle

2006 Fusion 1.4 TDCI

I was driving last night and the battery light was going on and off, on for 5-10 minutes and off for 5 minutes or so. I drove home and this morning I had a flat battery.

I got a new battery as it looks like it battery is the original one from 2006 I got a new one. Started the car up and the light was still on. The guy said it's unlikely to be the alternator and the ECU might take a few minutes to reset and it'll probably go off. Well it didn't.

Do you think it's likely to need a new alternator?

• Like 1

The battery light means it is running from the battery. As soon as the engine is running it should go off.

It's almost certainly the alternator.

Quite likely alternator.  It's but the work of a moment to test the output.

Your guy shouldn't be allowed to own spanners.

That "guy" doesn't know what he's talking about.  If the battery light comes on AT ANY TIME when the engine is running, it means the battery is not receiving a charge.  As soon as it does, the light will extinguish, there is no such thing as it taking a while to "reset".

well said :smile:

20 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

That "guy" doesn't know what he's talking about.  If the battery light comes on AT ANY TIME when the engine is running, it means the battery is not receiving a charge.  As soon as it does, the light will extinguish, there is no such thing as it taking a while to "reset".

Bash it with a hammer.
Used to have to do that to an old honda I had many moons ago.
The occasional wallop was enough to make the brushes make contact again and got me another 3 months of life before the alternator was finally replaced.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club