Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car drifting to one side? Help

So I burst my left front tyre on saturday on a pothole. Annoying but hey'ho. Got it replaced but now my car keeps drifting over to the left. Really uncomfortable to drive. 

Any ideas? 

Pothole probably knocked the tracking out. (Hopefully nothing more severe).

You need to get it sorted ASAP or you'll unevenly wear the tyres.

As said if you hit a pothole hard enough to burst the tyre your tracking will be well out. Have a look online about claiming for pothole damage from the council. Iirc they have be a certain deepness a picture with a tape measure in the hole showing how deep it is and you can likely claim for the cost of the tyre and tracking alignment costs from the relevant council. 

On 1/11/2017 at 2:52 PM, alexp999 said:

Pothole probably knocked the tracking out. (Hopefully nothing more severe).

You need to get it sorted ASAP or you'll unevenly wear the tyres.

How long would it take to unevenly wear them? I've not had a chance to get to a garage this week (been around 5 days since the Tyre swap)

On 1/12/2017 at 4:42 AM, simcor said:

As said if you hit a pothole hard enough to burst the tyre your tracking will be well out. Have a look online about claiming for pothole damage from the council. Iirc they have be a certain deepness a picture with a tape measure in the hole showing how deep it is and you can likely claim for the cost of the tyre and tracking alignment costs from the relevant council. 

Im going to the garage today. Hopefully its nothing serious. Yep ive sent a claim form in with all the costs and pictures. Cheers

They will be unevenly wearing as soon as you put the tyres on.

It depends on your mileage as to how quickly it will have a lasting effect.

13 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

been driving it since last sat, probs done about 100 miles or less

14 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Going to garage today though, so should be end of it. Still worrying though, don't want to have to replace my other tyre already. 

Have you checked tyre pressure since the new ones been fitted? Might be as simple as that!

Tracking is definitely worth checking after a pothole though.

5 minutes ago, fraserrg said:

Going to garage today though, so should be end of it. Still worrying though, don't want to have to replace my other tyre already. 

100 miles shouldn't have done any long term damage.

So i went to the garage and they confirmed that the tracking was off, so that was £30 to get sorted.

On the way back to work, its STILL drifting to one side. This has only happened after the garage did theyre work on the tyre.

The tyre tread isnt much different about 1mm/2mm difference so surely not enough to make it drift?! Basically just paid 30 quid for nothing?

Whats next? Any help appreciated. 

If the tracking was off it needed doing. So not £30 wasted.

But obviously still something going on.

Is it drifting or tramlining? I.e. does it constantly drift in one direction all the time it is it following the road surface?

12 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

If the tracking was off it needed doing. So not £30 wasted.

But obviously still something going on.

Is it drifting or tramlining? I.e. does it constantly drift in one direction all the time it is it following the road surface?

If im on a perfectly straight road it goes to the right by itself. And when im driving i need to constantly move the steering wheel to the left, feels quite stiff and its really uncomfortable driving. 

A different tyre will have a different tread pattern and different rolling resistance.

You should ideally have them done in pairs on the front, rear not so much an issue.

It might be worth getting your wheels swapped front to back and see if it solves it.

7 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

A different tyre will have a different tread pattern and different rolling resistance.

You should ideally have them done in pairs on the front, rear not so much an issue.

It might be worth getting your wheels swapped front to back and see if it solves it.

Yep going back tonight to see if they can do that. Nightmare!

So i had my rear wheel swapped over. They then tried to redo the tyre pressures but my dustcaps were STUCK on. 

stupid metal dustcaps, wish i had known about them binding to the valve. 

So i spent 4 hours yesterday trying to get them off, 2 of them came off with heat and some twisting obviously i had to be careful with the valve as i didnt want to break the costly tyre pressure monitor. 

1 of them was a right challenge, i had to saw it off and basically snap it, lucky it came off with no damage to the valve.

I then had to saw the last one but theres still a bit of it stuck on, ive given up on it for now but glad i got the others changed so i can get the pressures all corrected. 

Absolute nightmare

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club