Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3

Nician

Can anyone tell me for sure if or when Sync 3 will be offered on the UK Focus mk3.5? 

My Mk3 is due to be replaced in June '17 and I was hoping that it might be before then (if ever). 

It's already replaced Sync 2 on all new built Foci

Started towards end of last year.

I was looking at ordering a new build in August last year and was told it would come with Sync 3.

The bigger question is when is the new Focus released? Can you wait for the Mk4?

Doubt mk4 will go in to production until second half of 2018 at the earliest.

Thank you for you swift replies 😎👍🏻 

Does anyone have sync 3 on their Focus and is it worth having?

@Philf1 has it on his RS.

Better than Sync 2 in every way except lack of ability to set a wallpaper.

• Like 1

@Philf1 has it on his RS.
Better than Sync 2 in every way except lack of ability to set a wallpaper.

That's a bit crap [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

That's a bit crap emoji41.png

Sent from my SM-G930F

lol :whip:

• Like 1

So... a week into my Mk 3.5 1.0Ecoboost Tit ownership, how easy is it to upgrade to Sync 3?

8 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

So... a week into my Mk 3.5 1.0Ecoboost Tit ownership, how easy is it to upgrade to Sync 3?

Probably cheaper to buy a different car.

Needs new screen, new modules, software, programming. Possibly new looms, different GPS config.

Honestly, better to stick with what you have than trying to upgrade. There are kits in the US, but they are about 2k iirc.

3 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

To be honest, Sync 2 isn't all that bad provided you get the latest update installed on it. I'm happy with mine now its on the latest. Yes it's not the most snappy system in the world but it isn't as slow as it was when I first got the car 6 months ago.

Thanks guys... Being in IT, I thought it may just be a simple software upgrade :-)

4 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Probably cheaper to buy a different car.

Needs new screen, new modules, software, programming. Possibly new looms, different GPS config.

Honestly, better to stick with what you have than trying to upgrade. There are kits in the US, but they are about 2k iirc.

46 minutes ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

To be honest, Sync 2 isn't all that bad provided you get the latest update installed on it. I'm happy with mine now its on the latest. Yes it's not the most snappy system in the world but it isn't as slow as it was when I first got the car 6 months ago.

Sync 2 can be swapped out for Sync 3.

Bit of configuration and done.

Provided you have the programming gear of course  :)

• Like 1

On 13/01/2017 at 2:28 PM, Guzzilazz said:

Thanks guys... Being in IT, I thought it may just be a simple software upgrade :-)

I work in IT too :) Sync 2 its self can be updated with a USB stick to the latest Sync 2 but Sync 3 runs on a completely different OS. Sync 2 is Windows Mobile 6.5, Sync 3 is Blackberry's QNX.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, Richiemac said:

Sync 2 can be swapped out for Sync 3.

Bit of configuration and done.

Provided you have the programming gear of course  :)

I've read Sync 3 uses a capacitive rather than resistive touch screen that supports swipe/pinch-zoom type gestures. Not sure if/how well the old touch will handle this.

I'm told Sync 3 is QNX rather than MS based and uses a dual-core CPU running at 1.7GHz (ARM Cortex 15)whilst the previous MS based SYNC system ran on a single core CPU running at 600MHz (ARM Cortex A8).

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 6:50 AM, Nician said:

Can anyone tell me for sure if or when Sync 3 will be offered on the UK Focus mk3.5? 

My Mk3 is due to be replaced in June '17 and I was hoping that it might be before then (if ever). 

You should be fine.

I've seen a 66 plate Sep 2016 build Focus with Sync 3 so it's been in the wild since about then.       

Change screen and apim as a pair.....done it.

New media hub is needed also, cut and splice 3 wires.

Thats it.

1 hour ago, Richiemac said:

Change screen and apim as a pair.....done it.

New media hub is needed also, cut and splice 3 wires.

Thats it.

Sounds as easy as chaining the engine lol. You know just a few wires and bolts. :biggrin:

Joking aside Ford UK quoted me £207 for the display and £463 for the Sync 3 module so that's £804 with VAT plus whatever the media hub costs. Not cheap unless you know what you're doing, have the necessary tools and can get the parts heavily discounted.  Also not sure what this change means regarding any remaining car warranty.

If you don't mind me asking how much was your upgrade to Sync 3 in terms of money, time and tools ?

• Like 1

New OEM Module and screen and hub, from my source in Russia, car parts are cheaper there.......450.

If you were to invest in software and interfaces ( which i have )  about    3 K.

R.

you can download sync 3 from american website but can you download in UK, just worried if you download from US site you'll get their maps?

On 25/01/2017 at 6:49 PM, Excalibus said:

you can download sync 3 from american website but can you download in UK, just worried if you download from US site you'll get their maps?

This is an update to an existing system and will not overwrite Sync 2, and no you won't get their maps because the maps are stored on an read-only SD Card.

Don't forget that Sync 3 uses some sort of internal hard drive. The maps are loaded on that hard drive. In mine I don't have the SD card slot in the armrest. 

There's no HDD on Sync 3, it would be unreliable.

Seems you update via USB. Probably get it at the same price as the old SD cards and it just updates its internal database.

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

There's no HDD on Sync 3, it would be unreliable.

Seems you update via USB. Probably get it at the same price as the old SD cards and it just updates its internal database.

Hmm, not as unreliable as SD, especially if you use an SSD...