Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To those following my laptop saga...

Michael P

It is officially dead.

For the fourth time (yes, fourth) it had wiped itself clean and corrupted itself

This time however i rang PC world about it...

"Hello, i bought a laptop off you and the hard drive has corrupted for the fourth time"

"this is a problem you have to take up with toshiba as we are not responsible for it"

I think the only thing the warranty covers is the !Removed! that comes out of their mouths.

Failing that, my dad has had a go and its buggered. !Removed!. mullered. knackered. gazebo'd. wasted.

You get the point.

Following my successful MOT i have loads of money to spare (I jest) so i won't be able to get my Mac Mini until march time

Until the mean time, crappy desktop AHOY!

It is officially dead.

For the fourth time (yes, fourth) it had wiped itself clean and corrupted itself

This time however i rang PC world about it...

"Hello, i bought a laptop off you and the hard drive has corrupted for the fourth time"

"this is a problem you have to take up with toshiba as we are not responsible for it"

I think the only thing the warranty covers is the !Removed! that comes out of their mouths.

Failing that, my dad has had a go and its buggered. !Removed!. mullered. knackered. gazebo'd. wasted.

You get the point.

Following my successful MOT i have loads of money to spare (I jest) so i won't be able to get my Mac Mini until march time

Until the mean time, crappy desktop AHOY!

PC world are full of !Removed! mate ive had a laptop repaired by them many of times and guess what it !Removed! again i give up there are useless and the only time they are intressed is when they see the money waste of time.

PC world are full of !Removed! mate ive had a laptop repaired by them many of times and guess what it !Removed! again i give up there are useless and the only time they are intressed is when they see the money waste of time.

Hence why i'm jumping aboard the Apple ship ASAP

I switched to Mac about 2 or 3 years ago cause of Vista. Had some problems but nothing that would EVER make me switch back. You won't regret it mate.

Just have to see if where you work you can do any overtime?

I switched to Mac about 2 or 3 years ago cause of Vista. Had some problems but nothing that would EVER make me switch back. You won't regret it mate.

Just have to see if where you work you can do any overtime?

Ima doin the overtime! I'm at sixth form as well and i have exams in january and english lit coursework in for february so they (unwillingly) are my priorities. i've done three hours overtime so far (that sounds crap!) but christmas is coming up and i should hopefully get an extra £100 in my pay packet on 1st jan.

Oh, and i have heard this of absolutely everyone!!!

Chin up Mike ;)

Not going to jump aboard the Mac vs PC bandwagon, except to say I just upgraded Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate, and both me and my laptop are loving it!

you've had a lot of bad luck lately!!! hope you manage to scrape the cash together for a mac, they are good! although the ones we have at uni are dead !Removed! and slow cos some brilliant technician thought it would be a good idea to put mac OS and XP on them!

GET A MAC!!! they are fckin awesome leopard is like this new windows and theres newer versions of it out like snow leopard... only problem is with macs if you lose the start up disc your !Removed!! found that out myself

Having got both a MacBook and a Win7 Laptop I don't see what's so special about Macs, both systems work brilliantly. Providing you don't buy one of the infamously bad laptop brands (Acer/Advent/Medion/eMachines) you'll be fine with a Windows machine.

If it's under a year old, keep piling the pressure on PC World. I once worked there (6 years ago) and if you go to customer services and complain politely but vocally stating your rights, you should get a result.

I do believe that despite what they say ("outside 28 days we are not responsible"), you do have rights on faulty items at the place of purchase.

As for Vista/Mac, well, I've had various iterations of Vista and never once had an issue. That doesn't mean that everyone should have a perfect time, and likewise, a few bad reports doesn't mean they're all naff.

That said, Windows 7 blows everything else out of the water and I think it's great.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows Vista, but also have it dual booting running Linux Ubuntu just in case Vista fails me.

Only had it once, when an update failed to install and it kept crashing on start up.

Not a problem, go in to Windows via the back door (Ooo err!!) via Ubuntu and removed the corrupted file and now all is well.

got a macbook and an imac and i would never go back to windows, i just hate it.

well worth the extra pennies to have a computer that will last the test of time

got a macbook and an imac and i would never go back to windows, i just hate it.

well worth the extra pennies to have a computer that will last the test of time

A well looked after Windows machine will last just as long as a well looked after Mac.

My experience in the PC industry is that Windows is the logical platform for inexperienced users, so this is of course, where the majority of issues stem from.

Not to mention that in terms of sales to problems ratios (if you like!), Macs are no better or worse than their PC counterparts. It's simply that for every Mac sold, numerous Windows based machines are sold.

That's not to say Windows isn't without its faults; and neither is OSX. It just tends to be that Mac and non-Windows users are rarely beginners :)

I still use a Pentium 4 2.5GHz for playing music on my network, using a Creative X-Fi Audio (hotrodded with uprated opamps ... sounds sweet). It's had XP on it for over six years and other than the odd bit of hardware going dead (we all get dead hard disks, Mac or not!), it's been flawless.

Most of it is personal preference; it'd be unfair to say one is categorically better than the other (Win/OSX), when there is no measurable way of comparing the two.

That said, day-to-day work, Windows every time. Video editing, Mac please (if only I could justify buying a mac for my HD camcorder :( damn).

after being a web designer for a number of years now starting out on a brand new windows based pc and now running a mac i will never go back.

i completely agree that most new comers to computers are starting on PC's withthe help of schools world wide but then im completely happy with that as it saves my mac from shamefully slow virus protection software.

from a business point of view on my mac i can get everything done quick, i would have to say that everything loads quicker compared to my dads better spec'ed pc (due to vista more than likely).

i do run xp the odd time on my mac but still no speed issues.

i would say it depends what you need the laptop for, yes you can buy cheaper laptops, yes they will last for a while BUT just looks at the new macbooks perfectly built, reliability that IS better than a windows laptop unless your some kind of computer genius that will keep it running perfectly.

IMO Buy Mac

from a business point of view on my mac i can get everything done quick, i would have to say that everything loads quicker compared to my dads better spec'ed pc (due to vista more than likely).

i do run xp the odd time on my mac but still no speed issues.

i would say it depends what you need the laptop for, yes you can buy cheaper laptops, yes they will last for a while BUT just looks at the new macbooks perfectly built, reliability that IS better than a windows laptop unless your some kind of computer genius that will keep it running perfectly.

IMO Buy Mac

You don't need to be a genius - just sensible and cautious. Granted, you need to get things wrong to get things right. I've been fortunate to have experience in optimizing PC's to run perfectly (more or less) over the years.

What is fair to say, is that Mac OS's tend to be far better optimized out of the box compared to Windows.

To say one laptop is more reliable than the other, is impossible to quantify, as there are HUGE numbers of Windows based laptop vendors, with only one Mac OS based laptop vendor. The quantity differences are literally staggering.

With stats like that, you expect variances, as Apple can optimize their software to work with the hardware they specifically want to work with (and rarely if ever, do Apple support other non-approved hardware, even if it is mainstream). Windows more or less caters for all hardware, so inevitably, problems arise.

Interestingly enough, Dell supply Linux laptops too, and they are no more reliable than their Windows counterparts on the whole - they are as reliable as the hardware in most cases, but more so as reliable as the experience of the user.

Macs are stunning, but the fact I could never really upgrade or repair one in a simple straightforward manner, really irks me. I wonder too, that with revelations like CUDA, if Apple will need to up the ante to make their machines be that much more preferred for video/image editing.

For the company I work for (in relation to business), we have 55'000 employees world-wide, and it makes business sense to work from a platform that people are familiar with ... and a platform that other businesses use too.

We have a good few Macs around here, but no surprises that only the Printing and Design team are allowed to use them, eh?

Buuuut ... ! On topic, chin up OP. You'll get there in the end and hassle PC World. They will always back down if you compose yourself and cite good knowledge of the processes involved as well as your legal rights. Just make sure you are clued up so not to get caught out :)

Boooo hisss :( Thats rubbish, Mike! Get your dad to kick up a stink....oh and do you have recent backups? If not, you're totally stuffed aren't you...

this has progressed!

PC world are saying i have to spend £40 via toshiba for a back up disk, i am not spending a single penny on that thing

i have had absolutely nothing but trouble with vista since the first day i got it when it takes about three years to load up

eventually i will have enough for the mac, windows have lost me completely with vista, mac ahoy.

i already have the monitor so all i need is the all important pooter

one day i'll have good luck, promise!! :mellow: