Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear heated window self switching on

dzincha

1 hour ago, dzincha said:

But why to heat rear window, better preheat circulation fluid to hot air blowers radiator, like vw does. 

This is veird.

It's electric, doesn't run on coolant.

As we've discussed the increased electrical load on the alternator should in turn load the engine more speeding warm up time. Which is probably why it's programmed that way.

• Like 3

But why to heat rear window, better preheat circulation fluid to hot air blowers radiator, like vw does. 

This is veird.

if your rear window is all frosted and iced up one morning are you just gonna leave it like that when your driveing or would you rather have it heated and clear

Remember that the rear demist circuit also operates the external mirror heating coils too.

It's a safety option to ensure clear all round vision that is required for safe driving in cold conditions.

It also helps to remove water from external mirrors in wet driving conditions.

• Like 1

Why they make start/stop system and led for lights? To save fuel and watts(led)?

But then turns on auto window heating and all savings go to waste. 

In vw case if i order heated windscreen they add generator with more Amps. 80A if i remember correct.

How many Amps screen heating consumes?

7 minutes ago, dzincha said:

Why they make start/stop system and led for lights? To save fuel and watts(led)?

But then turns on auto window heating and all savings go to waste. 

In vw case if i order heated windscreen they add generator with more Amps. 80A if i remember correct.

How many Amps screen heating consumes?

Probably because stop start and lights will be taken into account for emissions.  As an optional extra, heated screens won't...

VW don't need to worry about emissions as they write better maps than Ford. :biggrin: 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Probably because stop start and lights will be taken into account for emissions.  As an optional extra, heated screens won't...

VW don't need to worry about emissions as they write better maps than Ford. :biggrin: 

At least ford don't lie about emission control measures.:whistling:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

At least ford don't lie about emission control measures.:whistling:

It's such a shame really, if they'd got VW to write their maps they could've had more power and economy without worrying about the emissions! :sad::laugh: 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's such a shame really, if they'd got VW to write their maps they could've had more power and economy without worrying about the emissions! :sad::laugh: 

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andypsp said:

if your rear window is all frosted and iced up one morning are you just gonna leave it like that when your driveing or would you rather have it heated and clear

If i see ice, i push button and defrost it.

Normally it is just wet and wiping is fully enough.

Then question is - why those 2 buttons are on climate control?

Outside mirrors are also on same fuse with rear window heater?

Yeah vw made big ***** with co2.

It is nonsense, because every car delivers at least 40 g co2 more in real tests than it is written in specs

Just tested one thing :

Started up, drove few km, stopped at red. Start stop is grey. Motor t ~60 degrees, switched both windows on, then off. And guess what? 

It switched off engine via startstop system. 

So on off and screens are off. But isn't this stupid? Most winter is just plus 2 -5. Below minus not so often. So mainly it is just wet. And why it should warm it up? To make some tea? If u need better view, wipe off wet stuff and it is ok. And i normally drive forward, don't really care about rear window.

And in winter with - deg it is mainly snow there, it takes longer to heat it up than just wipe it off. 

Maybe in Spain when it is coming to 0, it is catastrophic and all heaters should turn on. Here it is half year with that weather.

In mondeo 5 this auto heating is the same way operating?

2 hours ago, dzincha said:

Just tested one thing :

Started up, drove few km, stopped at red. Start stop is grey. Motor t ~60 degrees, switched both windows on, then off. And guess what? 

It switched off engine via startstop system. 

So on off and screens are off. But isn't this stupid? Most winter is just plus 2 -5. Below minus not so often. So mainly it is just wet. And why it should warm it up? To make some tea? If u need better view, wipe off wet stuff and it is ok. And i normally drive forward, don't really care about rear window.

And in winter with - deg it is mainly snow there, it takes longer to heat it up than just wipe it off. 

Maybe in Spain when it is coming to 0, it is catastrophic and all heaters should turn on. Here it is half year with that weather.

as you say you don`t really care about the rear window so don`t worry about it, just drive the car

This auto feature is called "vampire".

In the end you got flat battery and clean window.

Just now, dzincha said:

This auto feature is called "vampire".

In the end you got flat battery and clean window.

You need to re-read everything we've been saying through this thread if you think that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

You need to re-read everything we've been saying through this thread if you think that.

Ok, generator compensates el.heating consumption. 

Nowadays i got vw golf6. During summer i thought that it is time to check how full/empty battery is. I puted charger(5a max). So it started with 3a and during 24h it dropped to 2a and didn't went to 0 as it should do. Then on one summer sunday we should go to festival and i could't open the car with remote. Opened with keys and starter gave 0 reaction. battery was flat. 

Later during several service visits they found vampire- alarm buzzer. It sometimes activated itself and beeped

How long it takes to get fog or ice away from front window? Today got humid air with rain/snow and screen was foggy. 2mins for fog and ice could be even 5. Could be faster.

Ok, generator compensates el.heating consumption. 

Nowadays i got vw golf6. During summer i thought that it is time to check how full/empty battery is. I puted charger(5a max). So it started with 3a and during 24h it dropped to 2a and didn't went to 0 as it should do. Then on one summer sunday we should go to festival and i could't open the car with remote. Opened with keys and starter gave 0 reaction. Battery was flat. 

Later during several service visits they found vampire- alarm buzzer. It sometimes activated itself and beeped

How long it takes to get fog or ice away from front window? Today got humid air with rain/snow and screen was foggy. 2mins for fog and ice could be even 5. Could be faster.

just put your air-con on will stop your windows from fogging/misting up inside

On 2017-01-12 at 5:56 PM, alexp999 said:

It turns the front and rear demisters on automatically at or below 4 deg C.

Perfectly normal.

Strange that it is not mentioned in the manual. I did wonder a bit  why it came on by itself. I have had my car for a year now and just seeing that. 

I think I have seen it earlier without the parking heater.

20 hours ago, dzincha said:

i normally drive forward, don't really care about rear window

You never use your rear-view mirror then . . . . . .

• Like 2

When both heaters on - consumption 0.7-0.8 l/h, when off 0.4-0.5 l/h.

Is it heating all time or only when engine is cold? If engine is warm they goes off?

Is there thermistor for regulating on off cycles or it is just on all time when it is below 4 deg.

If they wanted to heat up engine faster, then put some heater in engine in oil colector or in coolant pathway for getting hot air faster. 

Ok this is easier - few clicks eith mouse in controller sw and windscreens being warmed up with load on engine and generator. After years generator will get problems faster than without this auto feature.

Don't I know if it relates to engine temp. But it's only on for 5-10 mins the same as when you push the button yourself then whatever causes it to go off.

8 hours ago, mjt said:

You never use your rear-view mirror then . . . . . .

It would seem not!!  I hate it if my rear window is misted or frozen, and don't feel completely safe driving until it is clear.  But, different people have different priorities...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

It would seem not!!  I hate it if my rear window is misted or frozen, and don't feel completely safe driving until it is clear.  But, different people have different priorities...

It's typically the same type of people that de-ice a 1ft by 1ft square in the windscreen and set off driving with all the other windows still frozen up and 4" of snow on the roof! :wallbash:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dzincha said:

If they wanted to heat up engine faster, then put some heater in engine in oil colector or in coolant pathway for getting hot air faster. 

Or run the coolant past the hot EGR and turbo, shut off the intercooler and fit a small electric heater in the HVAC box...  There are already methods in place for heating the engine to operating temp quicker. 

Can't you switch off this function using Foccccccccus or something if it bothers you that much lol?  I have the option on the Mk2.5 to enable 'auto heated windows' but it wasn't activated from the factory.  Like you I'm ok with just pressing the button when necessary, my rear window rarely steams up unless I get in with wet clothes but the front needs demisting nearly every time I go out this time of year. 

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I have the option on the Mk2.5 to enable 'auto heated windows' but it wasn't activated from the factory.

I've got a mk 2.5 too and wondered about that as mine isn't auto at all. I used to have a mk3 Mondeo TDCi LX and that was surprisingly well kitted out for poverty spec. That had (IIRC) auto 'chaos' which switched on everything to do with front and rear windows. Air direction was via buttons so screen air only was activated along with A/C, heated front and rear, max heat and full fan speed. Or was that a 'chaos' button and just front and rear heat was auto...? :unsure:

Hmm, not sure about auto chaos, Dad has had a couple of mk3 Mondeos but I really can't remember. 

If you've got ELMConfig you can activate auto screens easily. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club