Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear heated window self switching on

dzincha

It could be cool if in settings menu you can choose auto or manual defrost. Just like hill assist, traction control, tyre monitoring.

On 01/15/2017 at 10:31 PM, trailertrash said:

I can't believe that a thread about a rear window heating switch has got 61 replies!

62 now... :tongue:

Un frigging believable init, IT'S A REAR HEATED WINDOW

Edited by alexp999
remove implied swearing
  • Like 3

Holy cow, it's s convenient feature, most cars from around 04 are fitted with automatic defrosting of the rear windows below around 5°. Seriously go worry about something important. I can't believe this thread has continued as long as it has, mind you I've just helped keep it going.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

7 hours ago, simcor said:

Holy cow, it's s convenient feature, most cars from around 04 are fitted with automatic defrosting of the rear windows below around 5°. Seriously go worry about something important. I can't believe this thread has continued as long as it has, mind you I've just helped keep it going.

I agree , Its a great feature I really dont know why anyone would be negative about this to be honest, it has been a godsend for myself in the winter mornings leaving the kids to school :smile:

• Like 3

For me winter season is ~ 6 months -> 180 days.

How many of those days you got ice builded windows? I got minuses few weeks and few days of those weeks with ice on windows. Rest of that is +2 with rain or fog, when there is no need to warm up both windows. Wipe off and go.

Yeah, having had -5 yesterday morning, I arrived at the station to see a pillock in a Saab obviously going home from night shift completely iced up, looking through a slot about 6"x4" in the windscreen... Where's the old bill when you need them? 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

Yeah, having had -5 yesterday morning, I arrived at the station to see a pillock in a Saab obviously going home from night shift completely iced up, looking through a slot about 6"x4" in the windscreen... Where's the old bill when you need them? 

I bet when he saw you he wished he had bought a Ford now lol! :tongue:

6 hours ago, dzincha said:

For me winter season is ~ 6 months -> 180 days.

How many of those days you got ice builded windows? I got minuses few weeks and few days of those weeks with ice on windows. Rest of that is +2 with rain or fog, when there is no need to warm up both windows. Wipe off and go.

It helps to clear, ice, condensation and fogging and even rain to a point. Does it matter really? You even say it's a company car and you are still going on about it.

Its no big deal at all, costs nothing more to use of any noticeable a mount and is a feature you will find on pretty much any new car.

I am absolutely bemused it bothers you this much, your just making yourself look daft.

I use my front heated screen all the time when it fogs up inside even while driving its a great feature just wish the side windows had heating elements too, then there would be no clearing ice at all in winter.

• Like 3

Well there are no many cars with heated front window - vw group, ford. Someone else? On vw it is clear - you press the button, clear it up-forget it😀. Here it comes on, you need it or not. You hop off for 10mins, then back in car - heats again those windows- why it should do it if they are ok?

For fogs use AC!

My first car was scorpio, 2.9(8) v6. Once i got flat battery, because one pal was interested what is that button. I amagine what this auto feature will cause after 10-15 years. Then those is must have

It gets slugish when this thing is on, with off it get more torque. Just like when AC is on.

on a side topic are the heated front window screen ("quick clear") still exclusive to ford only? I hope they keep it as it does other something that no other makes have. It seems like ford have great tech first then other makes get it and market the hell out of it. An example is the self park mode I first saw it in the focus but now I see it in other makes of cars and the TV ads are constant. It bugs me because people who are watching are like " wow would you look at that its amazing how the cars park themselves " ect ect and Im like yeah ford had that ages ago in the mk3 focus but it is crazy how powerful marketing is especially with tv ads. 

Another one that pops to mind is the new Mercedes with 4matic all wheel drive or something of that, It reminds me of fords new all wheel drive system that they developed for the focus rs and then where talking about putting it out across the range of models which I think is a great idea.

No longer exclusive to Ford it seems, obviously Mazda have been using then for sometime with the ford links. But it does seem more manufacturers are now offering front heated screens. Having said that the hire corsa I had, did have the heated steering wheel option on it which I have to admit was lovely on a cold morning lol

5 hours ago, simcor said:

No longer exclusive to Ford it seems, obviously Mazda have been using then for sometime with the ford links. But it does seem more manufacturers are now offering front heated screens. Having said that the hire corsa I had, did have the heated steering wheel option on it which I have to admit was lovely on a cold morning lol

Apparently Ford patented QuickClear, and the patent has now run out.  I noticed when looking for wife's new motor that Vauxhall have offered it, but up until now, unless anyone wanted to pay Ford a License fee, they would have broken the patent, and knowing Ford would have been seen in court....

• Like 1

Vw got heated front window in '12 maybe earlier on their passat.

Now also available on golf anx maybe on jetta

This feature happens on my 2007 mkII, thought there was something wrong with my car at first!

2 hours ago, Matt ST Williams said:

This feature happens on my 2007 mkII, thought there was something wrong with my car at first!

Same for me. Thought that climate control or some relay is faulty. But no-this is "extra" for draining battery and generator/fuel and in longterm - your money(changing battery or generator costs $$).

When it is +1->+4 no ice on windows. When -1 or below, then it could appear. 

There are so many days with  +1->+4 and no ice, but windows being heated. Why?? To produce more CO2?

My 2014 Mondeo TityX doesn't do front and rear automatically - at least the lights don't come on.  I'll leave the switch alone next time and see what happens, forecast is -2 tonight so I'll have a go in the morning.  My 07 Mondeo ST used to put both on at 3 degrees or so, for about 10 minutes. Like everyone else has said, battery life has nowt to do with the load (not the load we're talking about anyway), it's all about mechanical /chemical degradation within the cells.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dzincha said:

Same for me. Thought that climate control or some relay is faulty. But no-this is "extra" for draining battery and generator/fuel and in longterm - your money(changing battery or generator costs $$).

When it is +1->+4 no ice on windows. When -1 or below, then it could appear. 

There are so many days with  +1->+4 and no ice, but windows being heated. Why?? To produce more CO2?

You obviously have far too much time on your hands.  If you are going to be that anal about it, then surely you are using extra electricity to power your computer whilst you post about in this thread, thus counteracting any savings you want to make by deactivating the rear defrost.

• Like 2

Jesus H Christ is this still going on??? If you are that bothered about it but a 15 year old plus car you will be lucky if it even has a working rear heated window let alone anything else. And let's not start about heated mirrors that come on with the rear heated screen, goodness next we will need to be able to actually see out of our wing mirrors lol

• Like 2

Ideally mirrors should have dedicated button, like in vw, skoda....

8 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

You obviously have far too much time on your hands.  If you are going to be that anal about it, then surely you are using extra electricity to power your computer whilst you post about in this thread, thus counteracting any savings you want to make by deactivating the rear defrost.

Tablet is very eco friendly

Buy or get a company car that is Skoda or VW then for goodness sake and stop moaning about it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TonyS said:

My 2014 Mondeo TityX doesn't do front and rear automatically - at least the lights don't come on.  I'll leave the switch alone next time and see what happens, forecast is -2 tonight so I'll have a go in the morning.  My 07 Mondeo ST used to put both on at 3 degrees or so, for about 10 minutes. Like everyone else has said, battery life has nowt to do with the load (not the load we're talking about anyway), it's all about mechanical /chemical degradation within the cells.

... the dash lights don't come on, but I've noticed it on the rear window, when you see the "stripes" forming without being switched on.  Having told my story about the Saab further up, I'm GLAD a manufacturer has done something sensible like this

2 hours ago, dzincha said:

Ideally mirrors should have dedicated button, like in vw, skoda....

Well, having owned Skodas from 1998 -2009, and a SEAT (VW Group, just in case you're not aware!) NONE of them had independent switches for mirror heatin, all incorporated with the rear window heater switch

• Like 1

I like focus for its:

Noise isolation/how it absorbs bumpy roads/fuel economy/6gears instead of 5 in golf7/a lot of extras in base model/heated front window.

But this "automatic on" is letdown.

Just now, Guzzilazz said:

Well, having owned Skodas from 1998 -2009, and a SEAT (VW Group, just in case you're not aware!) NONE of them had independent switches for mirror heatin, all incorporated with the rear window heater switch

Well, touran 04 and 08 year had it. Octavia 06 had it. Golf 6 '12 year had this button for mirror heating on. It is on left doors upper part, close to door opening.

7 minutes ago, dzincha said:

But this "automatic on" is letdown.

:dots::bann:

No it's not, it's a feature that will costs you less than $5 over 20 years.

You say to use AC for de-fogging yet that probably uses more fuel, and wears out more parts than a heating element and your alternator/battery. Getting new AC parts fitted would cost far more.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club