Do Not Sell My Personal Information

travel pilot ex

GrahamH

Last effort before I give up on the factory fitted sat nav - Travel Pilot EX. I have tried to use it honest but it's so user unfriendly. The radio is near useless and wont hold a station for more than 5 minutes. The CD player is fine but when I bought the car I was really looking forward to a car with sat nav.

Q

Should I give up and buy a decent radio/cd or should I try and get this one fixed?

Should I buy a double din replacement or a blanking plate and single din?

tia :(

sounds like you have an aeriel problem check a the base for any signs of corrosion

sounds like you have an aeriel problem check a the base for any signs of corrosion

took the aerial off and it was like a bad battery terminal, all corroded up. Needed a pair of molegrips to get it apart. Cleaned it all up and hey presto, radio worked like a charm all day :rolleyes:

Actually got the sat nav to work today also so maybe I'll keep it.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...
took the aerial off and it was like a bad battery terminal, all corroded up. Needed a pair of molegrips to get it apart. Cleaned it all up and hey presto, radio worked like a charm all day :rolleyes:

Actually got the sat nav to work today also so maybe I'll keep it.

Thanks for your help.

The next week it was as bad as ever so bit the bullet and took the travel pilot out and replaced it with JVC bluetooth radio/cd. Should have done it earlier because it is 'ace'. Fitted the adapters for steering wheel controls etc. Dead easy to fit and - I can plug in a mem stick so no need to ever carry cd's again.

sorted

The next week it was as bad as ever so bit the bullet and took the travel pilot out and replaced it with JVC bluetooth radio/cd. Should have done it earlier because it is 'ace'. Fitted the adapters for steering wheel controls etc. Dead easy to fit and - I can plug in a mem stick so no need to ever carry cd's again.

sorted

decided against built in sat nav on current mondeo as i felt the screen was so low on the console it would be too distractive to driving! i have a garmin instead now had it for last two cars

• 2 weeks later...

decided against built in sat nav on current mondeo as i felt the screen was so low on the console it would be too distractive to driving! i have a garmin instead now had it for last two cars

My Travel Pilot is broken so am thinking of changing it, what JVC radio did you get and what do I need to buy to interface with the steering wheel controls, do you see the radio station name on the dash display?

I bought the KD-R 801. Bit more expensive but wanted bluetooth. This model also has front and back USB skt(have to use one for the bluetooth to plug into). You can plug in mem stick instead of carrying round lots of cd's. One 2Gb stick carries about 40 hours of music. (also comes with remote for back seat drivers)

I bought everything on e-bay.( Dynamic Sounds) Came with a plug to convert ford plug to radio, bought adapter for the steering wheel control.(£20) The fascia adapter(which came with aerial adapter and tools for taking out the travel pilot(£15))

Routed the microphone for the bluetooth up inside the trim to stick out at the top of the windscreen by the top of the drivers door; just tucked the lead under the edge of the trim down to below dash level.

Was really easy to fit the whole thing apart from it being a bit busy to tuck all the wires/plus behind the radio.

Whole lot cost me about £200 delivered. Got it all from one supplier actually and they were very helpful when I rang to check I had ordered the right bits.

Wish I had done it sooner as the radio is ten times better than the travel pilot. Also bought a Garmin which is also far better than the travel pilot.

hope this helps

Sorry missed the bit 'bout station display.

Yes it does, also time (corrected automatically from radio)

Dead easy to set up for phone etc and there's zillions of display options/colours/graphic displaysetc etc and loads of power at 50watts per channel. If you want you can also take outputs for extra amps etc if you want a rolling disco :-))