Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Washer fuse keeps blowing

BJM

Hi There. I have a focus 2011 (1600 auto), which keeps blowing 15amp fuses on the washer pump. When I replace it everything works fine but then a day, week or month later it blows for no apparent reason. Can anybody help please?

Probably the motor itself or a  intermittingly wiring fault or even the filter blocked. Try the filter fist.  then the motor  as you will have the washer bottle apart to do this clean the filter as its not unusual to find the filter blocked with blank gunk

It's surprising how much slimey ***** builds up in a washer bottle, especially if you use washing up liquid as the medium. Clean out the bottle and an easy way to do it is to bung a hosepipe into the filler neck until it overflows bringing all the snot with it. You might have to dig deeper to see if the pump inlet is blocked or wheather there is a short on the wiring. If you disconnect the plug off the pump but still try and use the washers for a few days and you still blow fuses then chances are it is a wiring fault.

I've had gunk build up in the little impeller in the pump and stop it working.

Good luck. Steve

12 hours ago, Steve 1262 said:

It's surprising how much slimey ***** builds up in a washer bottle, especially if you use washing up liquid as the medium. Clean out the bottle and an easy way to do it is to bung a hosepipe into the filler neck until it overflows bringing all the snot with it. You might have to dig deeper to see if the pump inlet is blocked or wheather there is a short on the wiring. If you disconnect the plug off the pump but still try and use the washers for a few days and you still blow fuses then chances are it is a wiring fault.

I've had gunk build up in the little impeller in the pump and stop it working.

Good luck. Steve

...especially if you are in a hard water area....

Thanks to all who posted help, but have sorted the problem.

I noticed a bare wire near the bonnet hinge was just connecting. When I changed the fuse and repaired the wire the wiper washers worked fine. They are still working now so it must have been shorting out as the wires separated. The wire loom comes from behind the dash and through the bulkhead near the bonnet hinge and must have gotten trapped. Thanks again for help. 

One other thing is that I priced a new washer pump with fords and it was £76 +vat

I then noticed they were on amazon for £7.64 with free delivery