Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare key not working

Phil-1

I have a 2010 Zetec. It came with 2 keys a flip key and a normal key without buttons.

The key without buttons (spare key) will manual open the doors but not start the engine, is this correct?

Thanks

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no

Maybe the chip in the key has been removed There not easy to open them but it can be done

no
Maybe the chip in the key has been removed There not easy to open them but it can be done

If I open it what am I looking for?
Is it just a case of prising it open?

Thanks

If I open it what am I looking for?
Is it just a case of prising it open?

Thanks

Just checked the spare key is solid and does not split. It has a round section on it that does come off but it's just a bit of plastic

see if you can get a pic up of it

Here you go.
The key on the left works everything.
The one on the right just opens the doors manually

9560412e5ef459fca272a78ff2bea532.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One on the right doesn't look like a genuine Ford key (does it have the Ford logo on the rear?) maybe previous owner lost the second key and just had one cut from a new blank minus the chip?

Is that a button in the middle of that key if so it must have  a battery in it to work I cant say that I seen that type of key before I don't think its a ford key

3 minutes ago, Phil-1 said:

No it's a false button. It comes off

looks like it been cut at a later date with no chip

One on the right doesn't look like a genuine Ford key (does it have the Ford logo on the rear?) maybe previous owner lost the second key and just had one cut from a new blank minus the chip?

It's looking like it. But why buy a key that doesn't start the engine

Cheap spare just in case they locked there keys in the car or to make it look like it had two working keys:sad:

• Like 2

Just now, Phil-1 said:

It's looking like it. But why buy a key that doesn't start the engine

The person who had it cut may not have known that the key needs a transponder, or they had lost a key, knew they were selling it so decided to have another key cut so they were handing two keys over to the garage/new owner. (Some people never try both keys when they buy a car)

Cheap spare just in case they locked there keys in the car or to make it look like it had two working keyssad.png

Thanks that's what I think now.

What will I have to pay for a working spare key?

A blank remote key ,cutting and programming is £150 from the AA.

A blank remote key ,cutting and programming is £150 from the AA.

Thanks. Don't think I want to spend that much on a key [emoji15]

A lock smith may be a lot cheaper :smile:

Over on the skoda forum there are guys who have the means to do this in the back of a van, costs £80 odd. I know it sounds dodgy but it isn't. A lot of the forum members, myself included used to use VCDS too and change settings and clear codes etc on VAG cars. Members would meet up and do things to other forum members cars for a couple of beer tokens. It doesn't seem as popular on this forum, or I've missed it lol

My guess with the key is same as some of the others on here, it's a cheap spare with the sole purpose of just being able to unlock the doors. You would like to think it wasn't to deceive the new owner

Over on the skoda forum there are guys who have the means to do this in the back of a van, costs £80 odd. I know it sounds dodgy but it isn't. A lot of the forum members, myself included used to use VCDS too and change settings and clear codes etc on VAG cars. Members would meet up and do things to other forum members cars for a couple of beer tokens. It doesn't seem as popular on this forum, or I've missed it lol

My guess with the key is same as some of the others on here, it's a cheap spare with the sole purpose of just being able to unlock the doors. You would like to think it wasn't to deceive the new owner

Thanks I know what you mean about beer tokens. I'm also on the VAG forums. The more I look into it I'm hoping it wasn't to deceive me but just realised the near side mirror doesn't work. I was told that the car was perfect. My faults I tried/tested everything except the mirror and key [emoji35]

NS mirror could be a fuse, do the electric windows on that side work? Could also be the selector switch, left to right on the controls. A real PITA if you can't move the mirror, if I was buying a used car (I've had a couple) I don't think I would have checked the mirrors work so don't beat yourself up pal. I'm starting to get used to this forum now, i do like it but I don't think it's as active as Briskoda.

NS mirror could be a fuse, do the electric windows on that side work? Could also be the selector switch, left to right on the controls. A real PITA if you can't move the mirror, if I was buying a used car (I've had a couple) I don't think I would have checked the mirrors work so don't beat yourself up pal. I'm starting to get used to this forum now, i do like it but I don't think it's as active as Briskoda.

Thanks.
It's my daughters first car to learn in and hopefully keep in the household when she goes to Uni.

The Windows all work ok and the heated part works ok.

I put a volt meter on the multi plug and it showed voltage when you move it up and down. I got a replacement mirror and that didn't work. I have now been told that the earths are also switched as part of the controls.

I'm on the audi sport net forum. I have had some great meets and made a lot of new friends. [emoji106]

I was never on the Audi forum, I had a 3.2 Quattro TT loved it!

That's unusual for the earths to be switched is it not?

The KA is a decent little car to learn in, my sister has a titanium one in the worst plum colour! [emoji40]

This is my second Audi in 3 years. Love the build quality etc.

I was a bit sceptical about the earths but a new mirror doesn't work even though it gets a 12v feed when you try and adjust it. Will have to get a switch and try that next.

• Like 1