Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine struggles to start.

Jones93

Hi

Since the weather has got cold my car has started to struggle to start. When i turn the ignition the car starts then dies, when i start the car and rev the engine the car will start and have no problems till the car goes cold again. I thinking electrical? the battery is still the original and i think the same with the spark plugs, thinking of changing these first?

Any help appreciated 

battery has done well if its original and I would change it. If the plugs are original I would sell the car as it's been neglected.

Get the battery tested before you go to the expense of replacing Halfords will test for free. To be fair it's 10 years old so is probably overdue replacement but it doesn't hurt to confirm first

26 minutes ago, DieselPig said:

If the plugs are original I would sell the car as it's been neglected.

Bit extreme, no? - Spark plugs are designed to last up to 100,000 miles. Although, those who tend to look after their cars do change them often including two yearly oil changes, etc.

Change the plugs first before wacking up an advert on AutoTrader / eBay. The car might just need a good ol' service.

The car hasn't been neglected it has full service history and I've serviced the car (oil and filters) every 12 months. Gonna give the battery and plugs a change.

The plugs may not be original, I just haven't got the service history at this moment

bit unclear this one if he is saying that the starter motor is sluggish (sign of needing new battery) or the starter spins the engine fine (in which case unlikely a new battery will fix it)  but the car splutters and dies.

I learnt all about cars 30-35 yrs ago. in those days these symptons would typically be a choke problem or damp HT leads.

Do modern cars have a fuel enrichment system for cold starts?  and I don't think they have HT leads anymore do they?

• 5 months later...

Totally forgot about this post. Turned out it was the battery