Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 2016 Reverse Gear Problems

tjhdexter

Hi everyone,

So I've had my Fiesta for just over 6 months now. The problem I'm having is that when I'm reversing, the car makes a groaning or moaning noise, as if it's struggling. Seems to have got progressively worse over the past week. Also, the difference between in reverse and out is so minute I end up grinding half the time!

Has anyone else experienced this with their Fiesta?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I also had a problem with reverse gear on my Fiesta Titanium ecoboost 2016 model .on my one I was always getting the gear selector jumping out of gear with a grinding noise when just. Lifting your foot of the clutch intermittent but regular especially on a slope .

reported this to dealer who said it was standard for this to happen ?? I have just bought a new Fiesta Titanium Dec 2016 and as yet not experienced the same problem hoping  it does not have the same problem as my last car as I could not understand why such a new car could jump out of reverse gear

The gear popping out is a common issue on the ford 5 speed box.

It's a very old design with no synchro for reverse.

You need to make sure you are not moving at all when engaging it. If it doesn't feel like it's gone all the way in then it probably hasn't. Try applying gentle pressure for a few secs to see if it goes in, or drop it back to neutral lift the clutch briefly and try again.

Not sure about the noise, but they don't use helical gears for reverse so it will whine a bit, more so with increased speed.

Yep, apparently a standard problem. I drag the lever into reverse with gusto, seems to work.

Whadaya want for ~12 grand :D

2015 fiesta, I have noticed mine pops out of reverse when I take my foot off the clutch unless I have been careful to make sure I have pulled the gear lever back firmly. never had this with my 2007 fiesta

I'm getting what sounds like a similar noise on mine. Car's currently in for a third attempt at getting them to recognise the problem and I've only had the damned thing since August.

It struggles and is now giving a burning smell whenever I reverse over anything but a perfectly flat surface. And the groan is happening even on a flat surface. Started doing it in first gear too when I want to, for example, bump up onto a kerb to park. Initially, the symptoms were hesitation and slight vibration when pulling away, particularly if you want to quickly. And struggling with hill starts. Now it's so bad, I couldn't reverse off my parents' gravel driveway without a push from my dad.

The first time, the garage said it's a 3 cylinder engine and it needs more revs. This advice I'm certain has accelerated any problems. 2nd time I demonstrated the problem, burning smell and all, and they said it was my fault because I was trying to reverse over a speed bump (any car should manage this without breaking sweat). Third time is anyone's guess until the garage phones me.

How you describe your fault is typical of a Clutch problem especially with a burning smell if this was anything but a 3cly engine would definitely be a clutch sliping and need of replacing.

I've also had this with my 2016 focus, my cousin had it with his old 2005 fiesta and his 2012 focus. Its just the specific 5 speed box, something we have to live with I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2015 Ford Fiesta ecoboost does this exactly. In reverse only it makes an awful groaning noise ( worsens if a slight hill) and ford didn't have a clue what to do with it

• 1 year later...

Bought mine Aug 2017 its had three clutches and a fly wheel but still has moaning groaning noise the dealership Arnold Clark have now stated its a characteristic of the car,

well that's a first.

Any suggestions what I should do next.

I've had several Fiestas since 2006 and they have all had reverse gear problems.

It has no synchromesh so I find it best to double declutch. I never have an issue finding reverse after double declutching