Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I use Super Diesel on my 05 1.6 TDCI 95k miles done

Rolo782

I was wondering is it worth me using the super diesel in service stations. I have heard that the properties of the more expensive fuel can help prolong the life of my car and raise its performance and mpg. Is this true or is it a fuel for sports cars only?

• Like 1

Using higher spec diesel is good for something like the mk3.5 Focus ST tdci but tbh not much benefit on an engine optimised for standard fuel.
I'd say as Lenny did, blank the EGR and then have a Terraclean service done.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rolo782 said:

I was wondering is it worth me using the super diesel in service stations. I have heard that the properties of the more expensive fuel can help prolong the life of my car and raise its performance and mpg. Is this true or is it a fuel for sports cars only?

Don't know how true this is but here's a comment from Ford re BP Ultimate -

"Dr Wolfgang Schneider, a key development director at Ford of Europe, feels the introduction of the fuel is a big step forward for diesels.

“We’ve welcomed BP Ultimate diesel. As the first performance fuel specifically developed to meet the needs of diesel engined vehicles, we can see clearly how it contributes to lower emissions of regulated pollutants, improved cold starting, lower noise, improved economy and performance and improved protection of the engine. This, we’ve found, allows for cleaner, more efficient vehicle operation and helps protect diesel engines for longer life.”"

• Like 2

15 hours ago, avi said:

Don't know how true this is but here's a comment from Ford re BP Ultimate

Ford and BP have a tie-in. Their fuels are recommended in the handbook and with a sticker inside the fuel flap. They're bound to recommend BP Ultimate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trailertrash said:

Ford and BP have a tie-in. Their fuels are recommended in the handbook and with a sticker inside the fuel flap. They're bound to recommend BP Ultimate

I know. However, that doesn't make what was said false. :smile:

I don't know if additional cleaning additives used in some diesel fuels help keep injectors or other elements cleaner and functioning better than fuels without. 

It wont do any harm just filling up every now and again with a super diesel, i find it runs a bit smoother, changes gear smoother and it pulls away a bit better, as for more mpg and performance i suppose it depends on how you drive really, but i don't see a lot if any to be quite honest 

As stated above, unless your car is optimised and developed for use with the 'ultimate' version of the fuels then you will very likely see little to no difference in the every day driving. The big plus that does come with it however is that these fuels are full of cleaning agents that keep various parts inside your engine clean and 'grime free'. This is obviously a lot better for your engine and will have some effect on the life of certain components. This being said however, to get the cleaning effect, you don't need to be using it constantly. If you want to save a few pennies then just fill up with the 'ultimate' every third fill up or so and use standard diesel for the rest of the fill ups, this will still make sure your engine is being cleaned out regularly and kept in good nic.

Anecdotally speaking, I always use the ultimate fuels as, when my mk1.5 focus died in the drive years ago, we took apart the engine and inspected inside it, the car had racked up nearly 150,000 miles but the inside of the engine was free of any of the usual build ups that you would expect to see and the Ford Engineers even commented their surprise at what good condition the fuel had kept the engine in. So yeah, I guess the stuff works!

A ford dealer once told me that providing the car is brand new and you start using the premium fuel, you will notice the difference and there are benefits however if the car has never had premium fuel used before and you try to use it later then there is no real advantage or benefits.

Fuel prices are already at its peak and me personally would not use the premium fuels such as Shell v power or bp ultimate, Just stick to premium fuel stations such as BP,Shell,Texaco and use their standard fuel, avoid using supermarket fuel.

• Like 1

I've started using the premium fuels for the last 3 fill ups. The fuel consumption is the same as standard fuel at around 54 mpg. The engine may be a little quieter, as for cleaner, I wouldn't know. Is it worth the extra, maybe not, but worth a test. I will not and have not used supermarket fuel.