Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo MK5 - 1.5 Ecoboost engine sound (again)

martin.pl

Hi. I know there was a lot of topics about this how Ecoboost engines sound. But I would like to share with you with two videos of my 1.5 EB engine. This "knocking" sound I can hear when the car is warm and idle - sometimes it's regular - as on the videos, sometimes is almost not to hear - only single "knocks" from time to time. What do you think about it? Could you check it in your engines? The car is brand new (2 months, 1600 miles on the clock), the sound appears from the beginning.

Does it make this noise everyday in one way or another? Do you lose power when it happens? I had a noise similar, but not the same on my 16 plate mk5 and it was always preceded by the engine not turning over the first attempt and firing on second attempt then when it hit 3000rpm it would lose power. It was something to do with the 'stop start' system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Jon - no, I don't have any problems with car or engine - that means it works perfect - accelerates good, the RPMs when idle are stable, and so on. Frankly speaking I could even not mention this sound if I didn't get out of the car when the engine worked :) There are opinions, that Ecoboosts are a little bit like Diesels, because of direct injection - but this ticking or knocking sound is for me worrying - although maybe it should be so. Of course dealer said, that everything is fine and it's by design - but what can I expect from the dealer...

I am good friends with our local Ford dealer but I am under no illusion that his loyalty is with the garage first and foremost. I had the above problems for 4 months after getting my ecoboost and they were unable to diagnose the fault or replicate it. They denied being able to find a DTC in the memory despite they can scan multi layer and I can only scan 1-2 levels but I found he code and gave it to them. I was then told the code I provided was not a ford code. It wasn't until I said I was rejecting the car under the Consumer Rights Act that they sorted my issue with a software update. Like I said I told them the code, the error and the fix the very first time I took it in. Must of cost them hundreds in recovery costs, courtesy and hire cars and failed diagnostics.
I will, if I remember have a listen to my engine tomorrow. Specifically the area you have focused on in your video and see if I can ear the same noise. I wasn't aware if the ecoboost being compared to diesel, I'll have to do some reading. The 160ps is pretty capable despite the size of the car, I've been quite impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk