Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford transit 2008 issue

Criot

Hi,

We recently bought a 2008 ford transit tipper 2.4TDCI, we've found once it warms up it internittently starts feeling like its going to cut out when idling, you have to rev the engine to keep it going. However, sonetimes it will run smoothly for a few hours and then will the problem randomly starts for no obvious reason.

Diesel filter has been replaced as diagnostics showed an issue with it, we've been told it might be the crank sensor, cleaned it but the same issue still, so we're going to buy a new one and try it.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could possibly be?

thanks

21 hours ago, Criot said:

Fuel pump has been replaced as diagnostics showed an issue with it,

Diagnostics provide clues, but they can be misleading. I guess this was a garage following Ford's procedures.

Minor problems with the fuel rail pressure transducer can easily be interpreted as fuel pump or even injector problems. I think that is the item I would look at next. The car systems can not differentiate, as the transducer is the only reference point for the pressure.

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Diagnostics provide clues, but they can be misleading. I guess this was a garage following Ford's procedures.

Minor problems with the fuel rail pressure transducer can easily be interpreted as fuel pump or even injector problems. I think that is the item I would look at next. The car systems can not differentiate, as the transducer is the only reference point for the pressure.

Thanks, will take a look at that next.

• Like 1

sounds like it needs pcm update if one available , then a re learn. fuel pump presssure point learn, injector pilot correction learn.
that usually fixes alot of running/idling issues
also as peter says fuel pressure sensor and or wiring to it
injector leak off test then would be next on my list to identify a possible faulty injector.

Thanks for the suggestions, certainly looking into these - Is there any easy way to tell if a software update is required?

Just to add, the engine management light is on, I wasn't aware of this at the time of posting the thread.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Criot said:

the engine management light is on, I wasn't aware of this at the time of posting the thread.

In that case, the DTC(s) (error codes) behind it would be very useful.

Any generic OBD2 scanner (available from under £10 on Ebay) will read most engine related DTCs. Though a Ford specific system like Forscan can read a grater range of codes, and sometimes yield more information.

Relying on garages to interpret the codes is often not a good idea, they usually just follow set procedures, ignoring any symptoms seen or reported by the user of the vehicle, with all too often poor results.

Reading the codes can do no harm. And may help.

The Ford Etis site is open to all users to a limited extent. It may give update information, but I have a feeling that it may be dealer level only access. Worth looking though.

https://www.etis.ford.com/

42 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

In that case, the DTC(s) (error codes) behind it would be very useful.

Any generic OBD2 scanner (available from under £10 on Ebay) will read most engine related DTCs. Though a Ford specific system like Forscan can read a grater range of codes, and sometimes yield more information.

Relying on garages to interpret the codes is often not a good idea, they usually just follow set procedures, ignoring any symptoms seen or reported by the user of the vehicle, with all too often poor results.

Reading the codes can do no harm. And may help.

The Ford Etis site is open to all users to a limited extent. It may give update information, but I have a feeling that it may be dealer level only access. Worth looking though.

https://www.etis.ford.com/

We took it to a garage that we've known for quite a while/are all 'matey matey' with if you like (for the diagnostics) and asked them to put it on their machine - Don't know the specific codes but can probably take it back down there to try and get the codes.

• Like 1