Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DAB

Jonro2009

Hi people

Can anyone help please, my 2016 mk5 has the sync 2 which on the whole I'm pleased with. My problem is that if I am listening to the DAB radio and I turn on the heated rear screen it goes off and comes back on once the screen is turned off. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't the DAB aerial built into the rear screen. Sounds like some interference and may be a dealership visit  

See, I spoke to the dealer and they said it wasn't built into the screen. I argued it was and then got fed up trying to sort it. I think I will go back and see them. Thanks@volts

I'm not absolutely sure where the aerial is on the Mk5, guess I'll find out soon cos mine arrives on the 8th of next month!. Anyway, given that I don't recall seeing any external one, either in real life or in the brochure, realistically it's got to be in the rear screen like the Mk4.5. I currently have DAB in my Mk4.5(2014) and it works fine both with the rear screen on or off. I suspect there may be a fault on your rear screen heater, a small break in an element perhaps, which when on is generating RF interference which is affecting the DAB signal. The problem with DAB, as opposed to FM is that you don't notice a gradual degradation in the audio as the signal gets worse. It's normal(ish) until it just breaks up completely. If you're in a low signal strength area anyway (given your indicated location I guess that's quite possible), then any interference from the screen heater will just knock it out. In reality the only places I've had mine drop out were in the wilds of Devon and North Wales.

I seem to recall that there may also be an aerial amplifier and if there is a bad earth connection somewhere then maybe the increased current from having the heater on is affecting the supply volts to the amplifier.

The bottom line is that the screen heater should NOT be affecting the DAB reception and it's under warranty so the dealer should be fixing it!.  If they are still reluctant then try another dealer, although again given your location I guess that might be difficult, or get onto Ford Customer service and they should be able to 'kick' the dealer.  

BTW have a google for 'ford dab rear screen heater',  you're not the only one with a problem, although the first 2 are volvo ( but I think the screens are Ford manufacture )

• Like 1

the aerial on the 5 door is part of the rear screen, the estate is part of the rear quarter glass, both have aerial amplifiers close by.

Thanks@ianincheshire for the detailed response, some really good points I hadn't thought of re interference and the amp. I will be going back to the dealer in Feb when I have some time off. You're right there is only the one dealer close by and they own dealerships for most manufacturers up here. It was MacRae and ***** but it is now Parks. That's the problem up here, no choice/competition. It's either Aberdeen or Perth if you want a different dealer. I'm trying car wow next time.

Thanks@iantt I'm sure I've read you say that somewhere before now I think about it, in fact it may have even been to me, sorry

• Like 1

Mine works fine, but then I just realised that My DAB/FM antennae is separated into the rear side windows... ..on my Estate [emoji3]

• Like 1