Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stick or Twist?

bradzin

I currently have a 2001 Focus MK1 118,000 miles on the clock.

I have had it 5 years and its been a great car.

The question is, is it time to trade it in and get a newer focus?

I've just had to replace a brake calliper that was sticking, and in the last year have had a suspension spring break and had to replace a rear shock and handbrake cable to get through MOT. I feel it may be at that point where things are going to fail more frequently and be more expensive to fix.

On the plus side, the engine runs OK, although it does get through a bit of oil, it needs topping up each month. Also I had the timing belt replaced 18 months ago so I know I shouldn't have to worry about that for a while.

With my budget I am looking at mk2 focus between 2005-07 with between 60-80K miles.

What work could I expect to need doing if a got one of those, for example when does the timing belt need replacing etc?

Would it be a significantly more reliable car than  what I have at the moment?

Is it worth getting a new car now when I might be able to part ex current car, or hang on to it for another year or two and just run it till it breaks!

I know its not possible to predict the future but would appreciate peoples experiences and opinions in helping me to make a decision!

Thanks,

Depends on wat engine you are thinking of? 

I've had my 2010 mk2.5 since April last yr, 47k on the clock, now 51k, and nowt serious gone wrong with it at all. Yes I've changed brake discs, pads, tyres but that's all consumables. With regards to timing belt, well mines the 2.0 petrol so it's a chain. 

Personally I'd look for lowest milage u can afford and ideally a decent service history but my own experience is the mk2 n the 2.5 are very reliable. 

honest answer ?

drive current car till it falls apart or fails mot.

during this time continue to save up towards next car and you may be able to get a mk2.5 focus 2008 - 2010 years , mechanically very similar but have a more modern / stylish interior & exterior

22 hours ago, biff55 said:

get a mk2.5 focus 2008 - 2010 years , mechanically very similar but have a more modern / stylish interior & exterior

But be prepared for it to be a lot noisier.

I had the same dilemma 18 months ago I twisted and bought a mk2 2.0 focus car drives great but it's had a new alternator £185 fitted and a new steeering pump £340 fitted and will need pads n discs in the next 6 months!  Current mileage 56K

we also had a 1.6  mk2 which had a few irratable months on and off with water in the plug ports plus a new cat and 02 sensor although I still have my mk2 I'm not convinced at all that it's a better car than my old mk1.5 which I kept for 8 yrs and it never missed a beat maybe I should of kept it? 

1 hour ago, mjt said:

But be prepared for it to be a lot noisier.

i wouldnt know , never owned a mk2.

On 21/01/2017 at 1:11 PM, bradzin said:

I currently have a 2001 Focus MK1 118,000 miles on the clock.

I have had it 5 years and its been a great car.

The question is, is it time to trade it in and get a newer focus?

I've just had to replace a brake calliper that was sticking, and in the last year have had a suspension spring break and had to replace a rear shock and handbrake cable to get through MOT. I feel it may be at that point where things are going to fail more frequently and be more expensive to fix.

On the plus side, the engine runs OK, although it does get through a bit of oil, it needs topping up each month. Also I had the timing belt replaced 18 months ago so I know I shouldn't have to worry about that for a while.

With my budget I am looking at mk2 focus between 2005-07 with between 60-80K miles.

What work could I expect to need doing if a got one of those, for example when does the timing belt need replacing etc?

Would it be a significantly more reliable car than  what I have at the moment?

Is it worth getting a new car now when I might be able to part ex current car, or hang on to it for another year or two and just run it till it breaks!

I know its not possible to predict the future but would appreciate peoples experiences and opinions in helping me to make a decision!

Thanks,

Timing belt on my 2008 1.6tdci according to ford says change every 125,000 or 10 years but i had to get it replaced after 80k as it was in a bad way.  Haynes recommends changing every 62500 but that's on the diesels, not sure on petrol models.