Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo (2.0 TDCI) MK5 heating question

MartyMK5

Maybe this is how heating works in all cars now, but I'm having a little annoyance with my new MK5 Mondeo.

• Climate system power is on, I turn off climate control, aircon and also make sure the AUTO switch on the car temperature system is off.  
  • Then I set the heating to a temperature like 21 degrees.
  • I get nice warm air coming through windscreen and floor vents. But as the car heats up, the air being pumped out (particularly from the windscreen vents) get's colder and colder. 
  • It's like it's adjusting the temperature of the air pumped out based on the increasing cabin temp. I really wouldn't expect it to do that unless I had AUTO switched on. I'd expect with aircon, climate control and the auto button off, it should just pump out 21 degree air constantly and not try to be clever about it.

Does this sound right? I start each journey at 21 degrees and am increasing it by have a degree every 15 minutes to to keep the thing pumping out warm air. 

Many Thanks.

Yes, that's right.

Auto refers to the fan speed - setting the fan speed manually means the car will still try to achieve the same 21c temperature.  If the temperature inside the car starts going above 21c, it'll start blowing cool air out again to maintain the ambient temperature to what you have set. My Fiesta does the same thing.  Eventually, it balances out as the surfaces within the car also warm up. I would suggest using auto mode as when it gets to the desired temperature, it'll just cut/reduce the fan instead - you don't really notice it as much then.

If you want hot air all the time, turn the dial round until the screen says something like "max". It'll then just keep kicking out hot air.

Thanks Gary. I assumed that auto was to keep the temp at the specify temperature, but as you say, it only controls the fan. I'll try auto and see how I get on. 

Cheers. 

I too thought 'auto' referred to the temp and that if it was set to on it would keep the car at the desired temp. What you say makes sense@GaryPL that's how I use the system now but had no idea why it worked like I wanted it to lol. As per another thread it seems to blow from random vents until it reaches temp and then blows only from the floor vents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If it only blows from the floor vents when the car reaches the desired temp, do you not find that the windscreen fogs up on wet days?

No. You can still control the direction of the ventilation when it's on auto.  Also, when you push auto, the aircon kicks in, so this dries the air.

• Like 2

What he said lol

Mine dogs up occasionally and it's because I've not changed the blowers direction

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. 

I tried a few things and it seems unless I'm constantly upping the temp as the journey continues, there's no way to stop it blowing out cold air. 

On Auto, it does as you say @GaryPL, and does seem to eventually start blowing air through the floor vents, sometimes even stopping altogether. This would be fine, but it still starts sending out cold air though the windscreen and side window vents quite a bit of the time. It's pretty irritating having a frigid breeze blowing on your forehead and right hand when the car is supposed to be heating the cabin. So auto is not the answer for me, it seems. 

Setting the temp to HI makes it too hot! :)

No worries, as I said, I'll go back to slowly increasing the temp as I drive and try not to let it bug me too much!

Thanks again folks. Very much appreciate the feedback. 

• Like 1

It's the old not understand A/C problem you set a temperature and the A/C maintains it and to maintain your set temp it needs to cool the car at times, if the sun starts to heat up the car then it will cool it also your body temp will warm the car, I used to have this problem at work with the A/C there the audience complained of cool air blowing at them, you also have to remember that moving air appears cooler than it is.

Thanks @pragmatix.

I actually agree that if AC was on, this would be correct behaviour. My old Mazda did as you describe when AC was on, cooling and heating as necessary. My issue with the Mondeo is that AC and AUTO are off, so I'd expect it to pump out air at a constant temperature. 

Anyway, I guess it works the way it works so no point me complaining!

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi all, i'm Adrian and i own a mondeo mk5 2l tdci, 2015, i have a problem with my climate control which is, i can not change the air distribution setings anymore it is stuck on windshield position, it blows hot and cold air, blower speeds works too, is there something i can do to fix it? like reset it and how? thank you

On 3/21/2021 at 1:58 PM, adrian11 said:

Hi all, i'm Adrian and i own a mondeo mk5 2l tdci, 2015, i have a problem with my climate control which is, i can not change the air distribution setings anymore it is stuck on windshield position, it blows hot and cold air, blower speeds works too, is there something i can do to fix it? like reset it and how? thank you

Try putting it in auto then select 

• 8 months later...

Mondeo mk5 2016

climate is blowing cold to the driver and warm other places.

Can you help me ?

Any dust around sensors? (The air sensor is behind the panel below to the left of steering wheel. you will see three vent lines.)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for adwice.

I changed both sensors front one and near to steering wheel ( which has a fan )

I also checked battery.

It's freezing to drive. -15 decrees at the moment in Finland.

More help please :)

Jukka

Mondeo will go to Ford service. Let's see can they do something.

These two sensors I changed a new ones.

IMG_5878.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5881.MOV.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club