Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ramps or Axle stands?

Albert27

I'm curious what you guys prefer to use. I find it awkward to use axle stands & jack and takes me a while (that may be because i'm new to it).  

What do you generally use and why?  And can anyone recommend a decent pair of ramps that fit focus tyres.  I looked at Halfords ones but they're too narrow.

I use axle stands & jack  that way you can take the wheels off:smile:

• Like 2

Depends on the job but 90% of the time I'll use stands. 

If I'm doing something like a starter motor or an alternator I'll just fire the car up on a set of ramps.

i use ramps easy to change oil and remove all the engine trim underneath, got mine online years ago same as Halfords but half the price lol, think you`ll find there a standard width

eBay item number 162355443444

I own a lift and tilt, bought it on eBay second hand for just over £200.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dezwez said:

I use axle stands & jack  that way you can take the wheels off:smile:

Certain jobs will require one or the other or both anything that involves the removal of the wheels will need stands. I have 2 sets of stands and one set of ramps, along with several different sizes of wooden blocks and 1M lengths of thick decking board's to help with getting up ramps with cars that are lowered. Over time you'll be surprised at what you find useful to do certain jobs.

• Like 1

Much like everyone else, if I need the wheels off, it's axle stands.

Having used a set of rather compact Machine Mart steel ramps for a number of years, the width was a bit tight for the Focus tyres.

Last year I made a set much more substantial ramps from 6 wooden pallets, or a rather the wood from them.  Each ramp is 2400mm long and 300mm wide. To aid storage and portability, I made it so the inclines so can be removed from the the platforms. Two steel rods lock the two parts together.  I can also do this once the car is driven up on to the platform, making more space to the sides, if I need it.. It would be quite a challenge to store them, if I'd made each ramp in one piece

29 minutes ago, williamweb said:

I own a lift and tilt, bought it on eBay second hand for just over £200.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I was looking for one of those a while ago, that was local enough to get, without needing to hire a driver and truck.  Everyone who had one for sale, seemed to be based in Scottish Highlands

Interesting stuff!

When I was working on the car yesterday it occurred to me when one side was on the axle stand and I started jacking the other side, is there not a risk that the axle stand already placed shifts and the car drops?  Is there any trick for preventing that happening?

25 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Interesting stuff!

When I was working on the car yesterday it occurred to me when one side was on the axle stand and I started jacking the other side, is there not a risk that the axle stand already placed shifts and the car drops?  Is there any trick for preventing that happening?

This can and will happen if you jack the car too much at once.

ideal world you'll have 2 jacks, but you need to lift each side a couple of inches at a time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Interesting stuff!

If you Jack from the sides it will pull the car closer to you as you get higher. Try to Jack from the front or rear depending on which end your working on. You can Jake up the whole front or rear if you get the Jack in the right place. Do this carefully and only to the first hole on the stands then place them In the position you want, then if you need more lift take it up for the next hole. If you need more than the Jack will get to then you can use a concrete block under the Jack the repeat the lift a hole at a time. I have these stands... 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cax-6tbc-6-ton-axle-stands

They can cope to 6 ton and over kill but they raise the car to 615mm high! Ample for getting right under the car. Can't recommend these enough. I also always put a piece of timber between the car and the Jack, my bit is 12" long 6" wide and 2"thick. It just helps to steady everything and also doesn't put all the stress on a 3" x 3" spot. You can also do this with the stands but a smaller piece of timber.

• Like 1

For oil changes or gear oil change I need not raise the car. But for oil filter I need to put the car on a kerb.

I needed to check rear spring so I bought a low profile Jack and 2 stands from Halfords perhaps the jacks we're too high, but they we're stronger than the cheapest ones and the low profile Jack could raise the car enough for them so it does not matter.

The Halfords guy told me we're to put the Jack, it is a point on the sill that you can feel.

For the alternator I just sprayed contact fluid on it. And hope ....