Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR Problems - clean/replace/blanking?

DaniSales89

Hi,

i am after some advice - I have a failing EGR Valve and I was wondering if it's better to clean it/replace it or just blank it off? Two different garages have told me two different things...

15 hours ago, DaniSales89 said:

I have a failing EGR Valve and I was wondering if it's better to clean it/replace it or just blank it off?

I believe 1.6TDCIs have an electric EGR valve, with a 5 way electrical connector to it. In this case, if the EML (engine light) is coming on, blanking it may not fix the problem, as the movement of the valve is monitored, and if it is sticking, this will still happen when blanked. Also the EGR is part of the engine control system, and may be used during DPF regens. Blanking has been found to cause problems by some people, though others say it is fine.

As the blanking plate is cheap, it may be worth a try. It can be useful as a diagnostic aid anyway. But the EGR on that engine is relatively easy to remove & replace or clean. Prices on eBay go from about £62 for a new valve, no idea what the quality is, but I would try a cheap one as it is not a critical component.

So the answer is, it depends what is wrong with the current valve, and whether you are up to cleaning it & testing it yourself. If it has to be done by a garage, I would say replace with a low cost one, as the labour charge for a thorough clean & test would be too high.